Endurance Training

JTK37

So now that I've gotten back into riding I've realized that my endurace, is well, horrible, or non-existent depending on how you want to look at it:)

I've been thinking about using time in the gym for all cardio and whatever else might be best to improve this. Does anyone have any suggestions other than hitting the bike and the treadmill and just going as long as I can as often as I can?

Thanks, Joe

Does anyone have any suggestions other than hitting the bike and the treadmill and just going as long as I can as often as I can?

Not any that will work;)

That's how you build endurance, long, low intensity rides:D

-Jim.

There really aren't any short-cuts to building endurance. You simply have to grin and endure it.

Not any that will work;)

That's how you build endurance, long, low intensity rides:D

-Jim.

There really aren't any short-cuts to building endurance. You simply have to grin and endure it.

The Bike Gods have spoken!

Agreed, the only way to build endurance for cycling is ... cycling in the correct heartrate zones. Not over, not under, just the right spot :D I saw a graph by Joe Friel where he suggest 10/80/10 split meaning 10% Under the target HR (zone 2) and 10% over is acceptable.

RC ... :popcorn:

Last edited:
Go for a nice long ride and when you're done, grab something to eat and go back out for 2 more hours ;)

Ben this question might apply to you. Jim and Norm have the ability to see daylight during the weekdays. Since my hours are 8-5, M-F I get pretty much no daylight other than the weekends. I can normally get long rides on the weekends, but now the weekdays are really tough. So my question is, what are you (or anyone with this schedule) doing for long rides during the week? I have a couple of good workouts that I do at the gym, spin class, and I won a set of rollers on ebay last week. But nothing for doing long endurance rides. I have taken my road bike out a couple of times at night, cant say it was much fun. With two lights, a tail light and a reflective vest, I was still getting aimed for.

With two lights, a tail light and a reflective vest, I was still getting aimed for.

Is riding in the morning a possibility? Not sure of your morning routine, but if you ride from 5-7 you can get in two hours, one of which you will have daylight. 5am on the road is usually pretty calm. If you only ride in the evenings, just try to be on the main raods as little as possible or ride the trails!

Is riding in the morning a possibility? Not sure of your morning routine, but if you ride from 5-7 you can get in two hours, one of which you will have daylight. 5am on the road is usually pretty calm. If you only ride in the evenings, just try to be on the main raods as little as possible or ride the trails!

I was riding in the morning during the summer. I would always try to get out before 530, but it would never work out. I would get on the road by 545 and get back by 7 so I could get showered and head to work. Still a good ride, but not a long endurance ride. Getting up earlier for me is possible, i just have a hell of a time getting up before 5am on a regular basis. I can rarely get to sleep before 1130.

I get in night rides on the trails when I can. I try not to ride in the woods alone in the dark if I can avoid it.

If you get a 4-5 hour ride every weekend the weekdays don't matter as much.

Really? just one? Thats encouraging. That I can do.

Do you really thikn we're all doing like 24 hours a week or something? I think I rode 6 hours 2 weeks ago. Some weeks are better than others.

I was riding in the morning during the summer. I would always try to get out before 530, but it would never work out. I would get on the road by 545 and get back by 7 so I could get showered and head to work. Still a good ride, but not a long endurance ride. Getting up earlier for me is possible, i just have a hell of a time getting up before 5am on a regular basis. I can rarely get to sleep before 1130.

That routine would be self-defeating. Sure you'd be getting some longer rides in during the week, but with that little sleep which is so vital to your recovery, you'll probably be no better off in the long run.

This leads me to ask:

If your goal is 8 hours a week, does it matter if none of your rides are two + hours?? I'm thinking more frequent more often is as good???

Day1: 3h
Day2: 3h
Day3: 1h
Day4: 1h

OR

Day1: 2h
Day2: 2h
Day3: 1h
Day4: 1h
Day5: 1h

IMO it depends who you are and what your goals are. I would opt for 3-3-1-1 myself.

Back
Top Bottom