Dual Sport Bike Advice

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I grew up riding quads and dirt bikes. Then I had a Honda Intruder 800 in high school and bought a Honda VTX 1800F when I graduated college.

Against my wife's wishes, I sold my VTX before our son was born... as a contingency she made me buy my first quality mtb, hence where I am today.

Anyways... my son now has his first quad and we started riding my old trails (all legal, but private property... neighbors I've known since birth).

I don't have a ride so I've been borrowing one of the neighbors ATVs. Now I'm contemplating getting a dual sport. Something I can take in the trails with my son and do my short 12 mile commute to work with.

Having never been in this realm.... looking for advice on which years/makes/models to look at.

Honestly, if you don't plan on shredding trails like an endure pro, any of the KLR's, XR's, DR's will do just fine. Those single cylinder 4 strokes are pretty much bomb proof. If you want to murder trails, KTM. Ive owned a KLR650, and although it was a tank, it was highway speed capable and awesome on gas.

Considering I-195 separates me from my parents house (&trails), highway capable is a consideration. Can still take back roads, but I'm one of those that would rather have the power and not need it, rather than being short on power and wishing I had it. Is the price difference significant?

I went through 5 bikes till I got it right.

Start reading up on the ktm 350 Xcf-w. (The w version is street legal, the exc version has blinkers too for $1000 more, but you don't need em)

It is street legal, fast enough on the road and a blast in the woods.

Reach out if you want to see mine or ride it.

thx @Mountain Bike Mike for the shout out , I decided to not sell my Yamaha , will keep it and put tracks on it . @skier18 what is your weight ? How long have you been riding ? I know a lot of people with bikes for sale and I know places to purchase them new that come street legal . Most importantly what's your budget ?
Ktm is a really nice ride
Yamaha as well
I would stay away from the large and obese bikes kLR,DR style , they are fun but not good for trail . They are perfect if your looking to ride a lot of road and some trail . . Hope this helps it's always good to grow the moto community .

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone... exactly what I was looking for.

@jdog I might take you up on that.

@ktmrider im 170 lbs. Been riding my whole life, not afraid of CCs... my fuel injected 1800cc VTX was a fun beast :)
I'm definitely in the "used" market. Depending how the tax return works out, targeting $5k

Will do man, thanks! Will probably get more serious in the February/March time frame, but if you see something pop up anytime please send the info my way. :)

I got a bite on a trade. Mtn Bike for Dual Sport.

Curious, what is a 2004 DR650SE worth, good condition, 15k miles?

oh then no lol

it's a bit much but seeing if it was worth it.

350-450 would be the sweet spot

If money was no object, I would say to wait for the new street legal, 250 four stroke from ktm that will be out this fall. I am just over 200lbs and the 350 is all I would ever want in the woods. I have ridden a 400, 450 and 500 and all of them are fun but simply too heavy.

One of the fastest guys I have known rode a two stroke 150 for years. He was always on the gas super hard and he won a lot of races on that bike.

As a beginner, I think that less is more. Less to lift up when you drop it. Less to buy. A smaller bike might not be your last bike but I think I should have started smaller.

image.jpeg Manny, you missed out! i sold that KTM 450 today for way more money that i was asking for, had 2 guys in a bidding war! I got a brand new Husky 350, its pretty awesome!

I had a DRZ 400 and it was a nice bike except the standover was more appropriate for the jolly green giant and it just wasn't fun not being able to put my foot down at a stop sign.

Back
Top Bottom