Does anyone go riding here.

Blackie

Wildcat Ridge in Rockaway

My first post and new to riding. (( Wildcat Ridge )) I use to ride up in wildcat on my dirt bike. That was 20 yrs ago. I did know the trails at that time. I bet now alot has changed. Was wondering if anyone goes there now would like to go on my mountain bike.

Last edited:
Marty's...

...Bicycle shop runs and andvance level ride there every week. Details are on there website.
I've never been there but would be interested in exploring it after work one day since I work right in Parsippany.
Where else do you ride?

i rode there A LOT growing up and have ridden there a handful of times since i started riding again. as mentioned, marty's does have a ride up there. it's a night ride so come prepared. it's not the kinda place you want to be w/o good lights.

anyway, the trail network is pretty vast and if you don't know your way around, you will end up with a whole lot of hike-a-bike stuff. however, ride with the right folks and you'll find that it's one of the best kept secrets around.

just beware the pagans after dark. :eek:

All this hike a bike and advanced level talk makes the place sound fun. Is there techy maintained trails there?

yes, there are some folks that ride there. It is not as "polished" as most of the other parks. The trails see lots of "other " trail users and it has an affect on the condition of the trails. It is more of a "Wilderness experiance", with all the abuse that comes along with it. The local JORBA Chapter is working very hard to improve the trail system. In fact was out there both Wed and Thursday evenings working on a new re-route. More info here:

http://www2.jorba.org/index.php?title=Wildcat_WMA

http://www2.jorba.org/phpBB3/index.php

I was there about a month ago. If I had to guess, I would say it is similar to what Allamuchy North probably was 10-20 years ago. Tons of potential but still raw. I enjoyed the ride there.

...Bicycle shop runs and andvance level ride there every week. Details are on there website.
I've never been there but would be interested in exploring it after work one day since I work right in Parsippany.
Where else do you ride?
I've only bine out twice this yr. very new to this.

if anyone going to ride here over the weekend let me now please. I'm new but would like to go up there. I'll check it in the morning.

Last edited:
About the riding - let's just say one minute you can be on some of the best singletrack in the region and the next minute wishing you never took up mountain biking. I'm starting to get to know the place and decent loops are possible. Advise the marked trails (which aren't always easy to find - even when they intersect the road). The one comment about this is probably how Allumuchy North was 20 years ago sounds about right. Tons of potential, plenty of good stuff but also plenty of wretched crap.

BTW - good stuff to me means rocky and technical. If Deer Park is your idea of Nirvana you're not going to like it.

That is the type of review we are working towards.
Wildcat is not polished, likely never will be.
Even on the new single track, pinch flats and ripped off derailers can be expected if you get too careless.

BTW - good stuff to me means rocky and technical. If Deer Park is your idea of Nirvana you're not going to like it.

I think the trail that heads to Waterloo Road (right after the nasty stale water crossing) is pretty gnarly. I've gotta give Stephen's a try sometime soon.

My idea of Nirvana would be to get the blue trail (by the reservoir, not Beach Glen) slightly more rideable. There's some great sections on that trail. Also plenty of hiking - even on some of the downhill.

Judging by the Beach Glen Blue, the trail crew is doing a great job. Please don't turn this into Lewis Morris - not that you could.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions