Do you care about your KOMs?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So this question isn't meant to spark a debate between STRAVA users and non-users. I just read an article this morning about Nick Brandt-Sorenson, aka "Thorfinn Sasquatch" (article here), the LA-based dipsh*t who just got popped for selling PEDs (and, apparently, fake PEDs) through a website that claimed to be an Anemia Education site. He was previously banned from cycling after winning the Master's National Road title in 2011 and subsequently yielding a positive drug test. He accepted his ban, retired from cycling, and then popped up again by taking all the KOMs around LA under the username "Thorfinn Sasquatch". The brings me to my question: apparently there are a number of people who feel that STRAVA should strip him of his KOMs. I get why they say that I guess - I avoided joining STRAVA for a long time because I worried about whether dangling a competition in front of me would make me ride less for fun and more for a "result", so seeing people treat those reuslts with the respect they would an official race result is understandable. But I realized that I actually really don't care about those things and joined this year and couldn't be happier with it - it's kind of like a social network for cyclists and I find now that I really enjoy seeing some of the rides the folks I follow are doing and giving them kudos for getting out. (Plus it has the added bonus of being a very handy app on my phone for when I'm an idiot and leave my Garmin at home - there are no more non-official rides!)

So do you look at your STRAVA results as important and worthy of protection when someone with a possible unfair advantage takes them away for you? And by extension, do you get pissed when you look at a segment and see the the KOM is a ridiculous and impossible time (e.g., I forget where it was specifically, but I saw one recently where I think the KOM was like twice as fast as anyone else on a pretty short segment, which was realistically impossible)? Do you think STRAVA should monitor these kind of things?

My Kom only lasts as long as the new segment I created fully updates into the system. So.. no but I do like seeing the PR. Yes, totally unrelated to topic.

if the kom is half the time of the next closest in the field, it's time to put that garmin on your dirt bike.

There's so much crap on strava - ridiculously fast KOMs, fake climbs (how many Cat 4 climbs have you seen where the KOM is like 24 mph and then you look at the elevation profile and it climbs 20 ft - what's up with that?). Maybe if I had some legitimate KOMs I'd be more into it tho

@stb222 - it's his whole life which is why his nickname is

STREET CRED KEV

no need to race when you can race on strava for free

There's so much crap on strava - ridiculously fast KOMs, fake climbs (how many Cat 4 climbs have you seen where the KOM is like 24 mph and then you look at the elevation profile and it climbs 20 ft - what's up with that?). Maybe if I had some legitimate KOMs I'd be more into it tho

some of those "cat 4 climbs" are automatically generated from strava, not sure why.

no need to race when you can race on strava for free

some of those "cat 4 climbs" are automatically generated from strava, not sure why.

D3D70F8E-8B8D-44C4-9816-F90C73DAEE75_zpsnehfvak2.gif

Currently have 2 KOM's, 1 mtb and 1 road. Slimm is 2nd on the mtb, so I'm proud of that 1. I actually saw someone trying to grab my road KOM. Passed him going the other way and an hour later he was still trying on my return trip. PR's definitely mean more to me.

Last edited:
I care more about PRs on segments. I have no KOMs and if I ever did they would be short lived. I think people put too much into having KOMs as you can see by little bullshit segments all over. If I had a lot I might care, but that's like saying if I had a few mil in the bank I'd quit my job. All theoretical.

My Kom only lasts as long as the new segment I created fully updates into the system. So.. no but I do like seeing the PR. Yes, totally unrelated to topic.

No, actually it's totally related. I guess what I'm asking is whether you feel like your cycling results are important enough to you to be worth recognition (whatever they are - PRs, KOMs, anythign in between) or are they just recreational? In other words - and this may not be the right community to ask this of since everyone is here because they self-identify on some level as "cyclist" - do you give a sh*t about where you stand in relation to other riders or even an earlier version of yourself?

It seems to me that there is a fine line here where you can go overboard (as I think the people screaming for STRAVA to strip that guy of his KOMs have) or just use it for a motivational tool and not get too wrapped around where you are in the pecking order of a local segment.

since all the roads i ride around here have segments that i cannot touch, either based on TT bikes or group rides and are totally flat, strava is now dumb

hopefully by the new house no one rides. or theres more elevation

Strava KOMs for me is like a little pleasant surprise. I upload the ride, I like to see pr's and if I snag top ten trophies, I'm happy about it. If I snag a KOM, I feel somewhat proud. It's like a little stake in the ground among the people that ride the same places. If it's a place I consider home trails or roads, I feel I should be near the top of the leader boards. I like to see if I know anyone on the list and if I am close or higher on the list - friendly competition.

Every once in a while, if I'm out and I know there is a chance for KOM or top 10, I'll get after it and later upload the data and see if I nabbed it. It's fun, it's a challenge, it adds to the ride.

I think I answered the questions... and I think Strava should keep tracking this stuff...

Currently have 2 KOM's, 1 mtb and 1 road. Slimm is 2nd on the mtb, so I'm proud of that 1. I actually saw someone trying to grab my road KOM. Passed him going the other way and an hour later he was still trying on my return trip. PR's definitely me more to me.

HAHAHA! Having Slimm behind you on any section is probably better than an actual KOM. I won't even ride with him at Wharton unless I can put a minimum of a 2:1 on the SS, and that's usually not even close to enough. Trying to hold his wheel on a SS gives me roadrunner legs.

I think that if it wasn't important than you wouldn't have strava. The thing that pops in my head about strava is this.... if i am out doing a hammer type ride, and i don't PR any section I feel that my ride was worthless and will assess the following- what I ate today, what I ate yesterday, did I put 100% into the ride, what happened during that section(stopped to take pic, dog walkers, etc). So to answer your question, yes strava is important to me for progress. also it allows for friends to bust balls about who has a faster time in sections-

I have 1 KOM-yay
2 top 10's-yay

all very important

Back
Top Bottom