Dickerson Mine Endurnace Oct 29 2023

if you just listen to the audio its like a 20 minute obscene phone call LOL

makes me wonder now at 16:50 if he threw himself on the ground in front of me for some additional content and drama. Can I collect any royalties?

That's definitely the issue with watching most of the GoPro bike videos. Who wants to listen to some dude breathing heavily for 20 minutes? Maybe there's an audio filter that could be applied? Or replace the breathing with audio from Chickensan:

How should riding too close be addressed? I was tailing someone for way too long i guess he stalled on a rock garden so i ran passed him after i stopped. He gave me some grief for that but i never saw them again. If you are going to get angry give way. I was aware enough to do so when people were tailing me.

How should riding too close be addressed? I was tailing someone for way too long i guess he stalled on a rock garden so i ran passed him after i stopped. He gave me some grief for that but i never saw them again. If you are going to get angry give way. I was aware enough to do so when people were tailing me.

I get passed a lot! well for the 20 races i've participated in. Esp doing endurance while a XC race is going on.
(or getting lapped, again)

I appreciate a warning that they want to pass as they approach - not when they are right behind me.
something like - "Coming up, would like to pass" - i'll respond with "take the inside next turn" or just wave them by on the side i'd like them.

both of us might not lose any momentum that way.

If they are behind me for a bit, i'll ask - but i'm assuming they are taking a breather.

if there is no room to pass in the tech, even if they are faster, they gotta respect that you are on the bike.
if you are off the bike, i believe the etiquette is to let anyone on the bike pass.
bad form to block the trail.

also if it is lap traffic, ya gotta respect the front of the race.
They are already in front of you.

what say the more experienced people ??

I get passed a lot! well for the 20 races i've participated in. Esp doing endurance while a XC race is going on.
(or getting lapped, again)

I appreciate a warning that they want to pass as they approach - not when they are right behind me.
something like - "Coming up, would like to pass" - i'll respond with "take the inside next turn" or just wave them by on the side i'd like them.

both of us might not lose any momentum that way.

If they are behind me for a bit, i'll ask - but i'm assuming they are taking a breather.

if there is no room to pass in the tech, even if they are faster, they gotta respect that you are on the bike.
if you are off the bike, i believe the etiquette is to let anyone on the bike pass.
bad form to block the trail.

also if it is lap traffic, ya gotta respect the front of the race.
They are already in front of you.

what say the more experienced people ??
I am the LEAST experienced on any MTB racing but knowing my limitations and the skills of others around me, any time I would hear someone coming I would offer the chance to pass as soon as possible.

Like " if you want to pass Im going to move on this next turn, or give me a minute to find a spot". When I was somehow coming up on a few people to pass I would call ahead like Pat said and say something like " can i get a pass"

anytime my foot/feet were on the ground (or my whole body) I would check way behind me before remounting the bike so I was not in anyone's way.

appreciated all the people asking if I was OK especially the 10 minutes I spent prying my rear der out of the spokes.

It's a two way street, I hate being ridden behind so I'll gladly call out a spot for someone to pass and if I'm coming up behind someone I know I can pass I'll yell out "When you have a chance...". There's absolutely no point to blocking someone in an endurance race, if you don't let them by they'll just pass you when the trail is wide enough.

I made a good clean pass at 7:09 😎
When I hear someone coming up on me I already have a plan to move out of the way and let them pass as soon as they get closer. I rarely get someone asking to pass before I tell them which side to go.

With that being said, it’s never cool to cut the trail in order to pass. I saw one of the e-bikes cutting off the entire far end of Marty’s trail before it switches back underneath. This allowed him to pass a few and get right onto his competitors back wheel. The other ebike passed cleanly and appropriately and this dood seems to have no clue. From talking to others this wasn’t the only occurrence. Going a little off to the side of the trail is one thing, but cutting the trail completely should be disqualified.

When I hear someone coming up on me I already have a plan to move out of the way and let them pass as soon as they get closer. I rarely get someone asking to pass before I tell them which side to go.

With that being said, it’s never cool to cut the trail in order to pass. I saw one of the e-bikes cutting off the entire far end of Marty’s trail before it switches back underneath. This allowed him to pass a few and get right onto his competitors back wheel. The other ebike passed cleanly and appropriately and this dood seems to have no clue. From talking to others this wasn’t the only occurrence. Going a little off to the side of the trail is one thing, but cutting the trail completely should be disqualified.

There was definitely an e-bike guy who cut out a large section of the switchback descent on yellow. It didn't seem like it was done to catch up to anyone, maybe he was just tired at that point :shrug:

if you just listen to the audio its like a 20 minute obscene phone call LOL

makes me wonder now at 16:50 if he threw himself on the ground in front of me for some additional content and drama. Can I collect any royalties?
You saw him falling to the ground ? Because he left that part out .. I’ve ran into this ‘dropper’ character a few times, not a fan of him at all. Comes off very cocky.

I was behind the e-bike guy when he did that. I was also on an e-bike, so I wanted to call foul, but it would not have made a difference.

Not knowing the correct way to pass, I was asking whenever I approached someone, but I didn't get the same response from everyone, so I just started announcing, "e-bike, can I pass?" that seemed acceptable to most. I tried to wait for an appropriate time to pass, but I felt it made some uneasy with someone close to them. There wasn't a perfect answer for every situation.

It's a two way street, I hate being ridden behind so I'll gladly call out a spot for someone to pass and if I'm coming up behind someone I know I can pass I'll yell out "When you have a chance...". There's absolutely no point to blocking someone in an endurance race, if you don't let them by they'll just pass you when the trail is wide enough.
I like to think it’s a communication thing. Maybe some people just don’t think to wave you by…they think you’re just going to pass and then you never do… and then they get frustrated. That’s really on them for not waving you by in the first place.
If someone flies up on me in an XC race, shame on me for slowing you down at all. If you were that fast to come up on me like that , I’m not keeping up with you anyway.

I didn’t even know a wave was a thing. My first ever MTB race.

Anyone that told me they were behind me I let them pass. I figured it was just an accepted part that when they said on your left/right I moved… there was one race team (I won’t say publicly who it was) they wanted me to get off the trail on a technical section. Be somewhat respectful and let me not fall off my bike so you can pass.

I also saw an e-bike guy cut off a switchback then skidded on the leafs. I laughed at it and then he complained his battery was almost dead. I shrugged at it and then he went off.

Anyone that told me they were behind me I let them pass. I figured it was just an accepted part that when they said on your left/right I moved… there was one race team (I won’t say publicly who it was) they wanted me to get off the trail on a technical section. Be somewhat respectful and let me not fall off my bike so you can pass.

This is a tough one for me as well. I'll definitely go out of my way to make sure that I'm not being a jerk and holding someone up for no reason, but everyone has paid the same entry fee and has the same right to be out on the course. When it's a line of riders in a technical section, there's only so much that you can do short of completely pulling off the course and significantly impacting your own event.

You saw him falling to the ground ? Because he left that part out .. I’ve ran into this ‘dropper’ character a few times, not a fan of him at all. Comes off very cocky.
No but once I realized he was just cramping and not injured I kinda rolled my eyes and moved on. The way he was moaning it seemed bad like call the medical team bad. Now it feels like he was just trying to get content so not impressed.

This event wasn’t so much a race for me as much as it was a “test” to see if I could do it so I wasn’t worried about where I finished. Even still if someone was badly injured on the side of the trail/road I can’t just ride past without at least checking in.

Yup, I saw 2 occasions where e-bikes cut the course to get around riders ASAP. Some were flying!

Back
Top Bottom