Dave Castner RIP

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Dave Castner, long time member of the group and old XC racer and Vernon area rider, passed away last month in a motorcycle accident. I saw a mention of it in someone's blog but I wanted to bring it to the surface because Dave was a hell of a guy. He was one of the funniest and most original people you'd ever meet. He did not care for appropriateness or charades, and was so blunt and brutally honest you either loved or hated him within a minute. I loved him. He taught me a bit about life and living. I hadn't seen Dave in a few years but I probably didn't go a few days without remembering some crazy or inspiring things he said or did. RIP buddy.

1000002357.jpg

1000002360.png

1000002359.jpg

1000002363.png

1000002358.png

Holy crap this is heartbreaking.
Fellow union man friend and sober comrade. He helped me with ny son in hvac world we shared many rides together. In fact we had a bunch of back and forth on all things ebike in the past year. He will be dearly missed.
Godspeed @Panhead

I went to a funeral for Dave Castner. I’ve know him for a few years now and rode with him on occasion.
He was way out of my league as a rider. Belonged to Black Bear Cycle club too. Great guy.
He died tragically in a motorcycle accident.

I'll give you an example of a Dave memory. We hadn't raced in a couple years and we chatted about riding. He said let's ride new years day 7am because this is Dave. We meet at Ringwood and it's a world of ice. We have no studded tires or even tubeless setups -- Dave as usual brought his rigid single speed with tiny tires -- and we rode for hours in the bitter cold falling all over the place. I was legitimately scared and he was enjoying it. It was ridiculous and of course it was memorable. There was never a doubt for Dave that we were going to ride. For him those conditions only made it more interesting!

I read the story last month on NJ.com...real bummer. Talked and rode with dave several times, he was good dude...He posted on here fairly often back in the day... @Panhead . I remember pre riding one of the jungle course with him when he was on his ridgid SS one year....as i recall the otterslide trail was just finished and we got all kids of lost. I remember his daughter racing with him too. Godspeed Dave.

Back
Top Bottom