Cutting the cord (this again!)

man, they killed ustvgo. not sure if its coming back.

Trying 123tv.live now... espn is working...

I'm waiting for the Giants to lose in the playoffs and then cable is getting cancelled. I'll figure out what I need once the cord is cut. I have peacock for TV and flixtor for movies. We've already been transitioning to peacock for everything but live events so we are ready to make the change. I can't wait to see that bill go down and get rid of the annoying/expensive boxes!

This took a little while longer than I thought. The giants loss reminds me why I shouldn't be watching cable :rolleyes:. Cutting the cord today. Then I'll figure out what to do next.

I ditched Optimum and cut the cord this month because Fios had what seemed like a good deal ($64.99/mo 1Gig - price lock for 10 years). Turns out the "lock" applies to the base price without promotions so they can jack it up to $99/mo on me, but still better than what i was paying Optimum for the "triple play". Already had Netflix, Prime, and Paramount+ and made my parents buy me Roku for Christmas. Just need to pick something simple for live tv like Sling or Hulu and i'm good. P+ and Roku have their own "live TV" but they're not "real" channels.

Cable disconnected and boxes removed! I can’t wait to drop off the hardware and be completely done with cable.

Wow didn’t realize this was just over a year for me now. Glad I pulled the plug. We’re living off of peacock and Flixtor. No need for anything else.

FiOS just raised our Internet again. Have the triple play options bundling television and land line. We're looking to drop TV. Probably going with Optimum, we've had it before and reliability was okay 10 years ago. What other options should I consider?

FiOS just raised our Internet again. Have the triple play options bundling television and land line. We're looking to drop TV. Probably going with Optimum, we've had it before and reliability was okay 10 years ago. What other options should I consider?
First to say starlink! But no a recommendation, just in before the masses.

Have been w/ YouTube TV for years, was cheaper than Verizon back then, but the bulk of the savings was from not needing set top boxes (had 6 in the house) as opposed to the cost of the TV package...still have FIOS for internet service only.

Back then the boxes were ~$10 each, and I already had various streaming devices on all sets that could just install the YT TV app. So was a no brainer.

just did this with verizon, they bumped my triple play from ~$115 to $155, called them up and dropped tv and phone, down to 79.99/month for gigabit internet price locked for (i think ) 2 years, they also threw in a free router and offered up a free network extender/access point. I will never have optimum/comcast similar again if i have a choice vs FIOS.

we do have netflix, prime and disney+ and havent missed anything from live TV yet (only been 2 months but still)

I have FiOS internet and it's great. Shortly before COVID I switch to optimum and it was the worst. Required daily modem restarts. Thankfully I switch right back to fios just before COVID hit so I never impacted WFH

just did this with verizon, they bumped my triple play from ~$115 to $155, called them up and dropped tv and phone, down to 79.99/month for gigabit internet price locked for (i think ) 2 years, they also threw in a free router and offered up a free network extender/access point. I will never have optimum/comcast similar again if i have a choice vs FIOS.

we do have netflix, prime and disney+ and havent missed anything from live TV yet (only been 2 months but still)
I hear FiOS does some sort of competitive pricing. We have the basic speed (300) and it costs $110 for internet alone. At the beach house the same speed was originally $50. I actually just signed a 2 year deal for $10 with free equipment. That's just insane to pay $100 more because of my zip code. Anyone see this pricing method as well?

Have been w/ YouTube TV for years, was cheaper than Verizon back then, but the bulk of the savings was from not needing set top boxes (had 6 in the house) as opposed to the cost of the TV package...still have FIOS for internet service only.

Back then the boxes were ~$10 each, and I already had various streaming devices on all sets that could just install the YT TV app. So was a no brainer.
Boxes are now $18 and we have 3

I hear FiOS does some sort of competitive pricing. We have the basic speed (300) and it costs $110 for internet alone. At the beach house the same speed was originally $50. I actually just signed a 2 year deal for $10 with free equipment. That's just insane to pay $100 more because of my zip code. Anyone see this pricing method as well?
Is there a slower speed you can get? Get that. My slowest speed they offer just got bumped up $60 a month. Never have speed issues/concerns.

Drop all boxes, all cable. Pick an Amazon/Netflix/Disney/HBO and stick with it, or rotate through them when there's something you want to binge.

Instead of watching TV during the week, ride bikes until it gets dark.

That's just insane to pay $100 more because of my zip code.

Try living in 08840. Optimum is the only TV service available in Metuchen and they know it.

We tried cutting the cord last year, but my wife couldn't stand dealing with multiple services just to watch TV. The one good thing was that since I quit Optimum at $300+ they eventually emailed an offer for less than half to come back. So we did. It must be exactly a year since my bill just shot up to $218. Time to call and threaten to quit again.

If you only have Optimum, have you tried T-Mobile home internet?

I tested it out at my house, worked relatively well for a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom