Cross Country Skiing

A question about poles .. I have some ancient ski poles in my garage .. Will they do or do I need something more modern and / or xc specific?

there is a lot of snow outside... and it doesnt look like its letting up soon. today is a good day to tool around town on the roads w/xc skis. it too snowey to drive, and its a fun. Its like being able to ride your road bike on the parkway/turnpike...its a novelty.:popcorn:

got back from my 2.5hr. backroads tour of cranford & westfield...it was awesome. coming back towards home some of the roads where melted down to blacktop so i had to unclip and walk some sections, but for the most part the roads where perfect.
i felt like a celebrity on skis...people shoveling out there driveways where amazed that you can xc ski on the snow covered roads.

I did that yesterday around lake mohawk, but the dam plow trucks are too fast. It was fun trailblazin on the crust plowed stuff though. Pretty cool lil ravine I skiied also. That was before the heavy stuff last nite. Got out to Deerpark this afternoon and worked my hiney off following snowshoes for a while. I'll let Brett do some blazin Sunday, could be the first time he blows up b4 me!

I tried to go to Harriman today, but all lots had a 6 foot wall of snow in front of the entrances. Not sure if they plan to plow lots any time soon. The roads were in bad shape also, if you are planning a road ride tomorrow, take the cross bike. Did a short ski at Ringwood instead and there is almost 3 feet of snow up there. I'll be heading out again tomorrow for a longer version.

I just heard through the grape vine that Minnewaska, Faunstock and Anthony Wayne are all closed. Either heavy snow damage or lots not plowed. Good idea to call parks before making a long drive.

I just heard through the grape vine that Minnewaska, Faunstock and Anthony Wayne are all closed. Either heavy snow damage or lots not plowed. Good idea to call parks before making a long drive.

Minnewaska is closed due to storm damage, the park's website has info & # to call for updates.http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/127/details.aspx

Fahnestock Winter park is open...but limited grooming & trails. There twitter is the best source for the most up to date info.http://twitter.com/FWPupdates

I don't know this Tony Wayne dude:D

High Point State Park is open, but grooming is not that great. If you need to rent xc skis on the way to High Point stop off at Neals. http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Neals.Sports.Emporium.973-875-7912
Its $10 for a complete set up for the day...High Point charges $22. Neal also had some xc ski packages for about $200.

Once the snow is beaten down by hikers, snowshow's, and other xc skiers local trails are good to go. Get out and ski

What a finish on 50K classic, Nortung just laid the hammer down on the final sprint. That was worth the watch, true endurance...

What a finish on 50K classic, Nortung just laid the hammer down on the final sprint. That was worth the watch, true endurance...

That offset feet style may be the ticket. I've tried that feet together double pump stuff and just ended up on the ground.

Saturday
Went to High Point State Park for some nordic center skiing. Grooming was not that great but it was worth the $20 to not have to plow my own trail though 3' of snow. This place was packed, the lot was full and people where parking on the access road into the park. I met MTBNJer Cross Addict here...you can always tell the hardcore cylcists. We both agreed that Panhead is a fag.
Here are some pics from High Point, it felt like I was in Vermont.

Note the handrail peeking above the snow.
HighPoint003.jpg

HighPoint004.jpg

Me and my Cranford butt buddy.
HighPoint006A.jpg

Sunday
Explored the Watchung Mountains for 3hrs. Snow was well tracked in so getting around was easy, some places were even down to bare ground. This place is pretty good for xc skiing, better than I thought it would be.

Stopped at the entrance of Minnewaska this afternoon and it's still closed.

Snowfall measured in feet.

I met MTBNJer Cross Addict here...you can always tell the hardcore cylcists. We both agreed that Panhead is a fag.

What is this about?

You decide if you want to head up Friday? I'm saving Saturday for the road, probably shoot over High Point and around on the back roads to Pine Island into Warwick. Hippie coffee shop on the way back.

Is Wayway tracked up, I think Brett and I are trying to get a Sunday extravaganza going. You homos up for some fun?

What is this about?

just checking to see if you read this shit. Roger said he mtb's Wayway, so I said oh you must know dave.
I'm going to tele ski Bellearye tomorrow, probably road bike local this weekend in between kids basketball games. I'd like to get up to xc ski with you guys this wknd...dont know if i can swing it. Enjoy it while you can.

Is Wayway tracked up, I think Brett and I are trying to get a Sunday extravaganza going. You homos up for some fun?

I got out for a bit on Sunday, the parking lots still weren't plowed. Left the back lot done Pumphouse to the beach, through the lots around the lake and headed up Wingdam. By that time I had enough and was out of time anyway. Saw one set of snowshoes, and one snowmobile track. If I get home early enough tomorrow I might jump on the bike and see whats what.

No glide at all, broke through the crust every stride and where there was no crust was up up to my knees in snow. Snowmobiles showed up when I was leaving, and with the warmness that we will have the weekend looks good. Probably hit there around 2 or 3 on Friday. Want to do a 5 hour ride over the weekend, looking to do a stupid early start no later that 7 or so.

just checking to see if you read this shit. Roger said he mtb's Wayway, so I said oh you must know dave.
I'm going to tele ski Bellearye tomorrow, probably road bike local this weekend in between kids basketball games. I'd like to get up to xc ski with you guys this wknd...dont know if i can swing it. Enjoy it while you can.

Sometimes I read it. Joe's post caught my eye and I was wondering if he got some sticks.

Rogers a F'en animal, he wasn't even putting the hammer down and he was GONE!! Sweet new ride he's got. Jumped on a couple of his rides already. Did a 39 miler in 9*, the next one was 45 miles but a warm 25* Been busy lately so I missed Gordo's ride.

Last edited:
Hardtail and I got out for about 3.5 hrs. at Mahlon today. This was possibly the worst day ever on skis for me. My 20+ year old track skis just didn't cut the mustard in back country ski territory. Time for a new set. Physical beaten up today with no less then 8 falls, which took about 5 mins to get up as the snow is still about 2 feet, "Very Comical" to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom