Converting 10 to 11 speed

I would highly consider sanding the pads and rotors and see where that gets you, its essentially free assuming you have brake clean and sand paper. Even if you have to buy that you invested $10 on stuff that is great to have in the shop anyway.

Here is a video for further clarification.

After that if you arent satisfied, the xt m8000 are more than adequate for trail riding in my experiences.

I would highly consider sanding the pads and rotors and see where that gets you, its essentially free assuming you have brake clean and sand paper. Even if you have to buy that you invested $10 on stuff that is great to have in the shop anyway.

Here is a video for further clarification.

After that if you arent satisfied, the xt m8000 are more than adequate for trail riding in my experiences.

hahaha.. Watched this video this morning too. I'm definitely gonna give it a try, perhaps tomorrow.

Ok... cleaned and sanded the rotors and pads as directed in the video above. The pads definitely looked pretty glazed over but still lots of meat left. The rotors didn't seem to be too bad. I cleaned them up, not much came off them and then scuffed them up and then cleaned them again.

Its hard to say if they feel any better, maybe a little bit. The chatter seems to be gone, but I didn't get on them really hard. I spun around the neighborhood of a while, gradually applying more stopping power with each use to bed the pads in properly and not cause any premature issues.

Thanks. Looks nice but not the right size

Cool... I had a RaceFace Next carbon bar, Atlas stem and Ergon grips on my Fatboy. I swapped those all over to the Fuse and put the Fatboy back to stock. The TRP brakes aren't horrible, but they're not great either. I had Shimano SLX on the Fatboy and the stopped SOOOO good. The TRP brakes just don't feel as powerful and they chatter. I thought that maybe the pads were low, but it seems like they got plenty of pad material left. So far, the fork has been fine for me.... the previous owner had it set up kind of crazy. It was at like 115 psi, which was way high for me and the rebound was maxed. I think I have it dialed in pretty good. I seem to be getting about 80% travel, but I haven't ridden it really aggressive yet because I'm still getting used to the bike. I figured I'll use up some more of that travel as I start pushing it harder. I've been reading though a bunch of reviews online and it seems like the fork is a weak spot. I've already been looking at Fox 34's and Rockshox as well... I think the Pike? Just having the fork in general is nice, coming from the Fatboy. The big tires on the Fatboy act like suspension, to an extent, eating up bumps, but when you get into some fast sections with a lot of roots or rocks, the bike kind of ends up bouncing around under you. Its not out of control, its just a different feel compared to the having the fork.

it's a 2016 Fatboy Comp 686 Edition, size M... asking $1750, but accepting reasonable offers.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-fatboy-comp-686-edition.43410/

original.jpg

I got out for an hour or so this morning in Rutgers and the brakes still feel like crap... and the rear one is still chattering.

Hit Harts/Huber today and yes, the brakes are no better than they previously were. The good news is, the xt drivetrain and brakes came today :)

alright - i thought there were different xt models like M8000 and deore, but apparently they're the same.

How are they working out? definitely a lot cheaper than the sram guides i was looking at.

I believe the full names are XT M8000 Deore and SLX M7000 Deore. I got the M8000... I don't have them on yet though. Fork upgrade arrives tomorrow. I'm planning on just doing it all at once.

Back
Top Bottom