Coffee

Saw that on the shelf while shopping in Love the Cook yesterday. Restocked our supply with Nor'easter, Surfer, and flavor of the month Maple Nut Crunch. Also grabbed some Organic PB from CM PB Co.

iv had very few misses from them, but then i stay away from the flavored coffees so that helps alot.

their house blend is my go-to every day coffee atm

iv had very few misses from them, but then i stay away from the flavored coffees so that helps alot.

their house blend is my go-to every day coffee atm
We stay way from the flavored too, but samples were available and it was real good. Got the decaf for after dinner by the fireplace.

did you like? I got their FRAMILY and loved it.
I thought the Krampus was fantastic. I lean toward big, bold roasts, so it was right up my alley.

We had the Framily last year and Mrs. G & I both enjoyed that as well.

Don't shop Wallyworld too often, but was walking down the coffee aisle and saw this. I remember the announcement that Rothrock was available in Walmart, just thought it would be a central PA regional thing. $11.99 at Wally vs. $17.99 to order from Rothrock website. Singlespeed was on the shelf too, but in k-cup only. Guess I will be going back to WM.
Edit: adding that in store is cheaper than WM.com @ $14ish
20240121_075659.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2849.jpeg
Latest acquisitions.

We picked up the La Colombe at a really nice little cafe, Cooper’s, in the middle of nowhere along Interstate 70 in Missouri. Place was a very welcome respite from the endless series of Pilot truck stops and generic fast food along the 1200 mile drive.

Messenger is a terrific roaster in downtown Kansas City. Probably our favorite in the country, after Onyx. Highly recommended.

Probably our favorite in the country, after Onyx.

Read a pretty good thread about Onyx recently on Reddit. I have thought Onyx might be starting to get a little more on the marketing/commercial side, and I saw man people had the same opinion. I still think their coffee is good. But I've noticed the Tropical Weather is no longer as good as it once was (and IMO Framily this year was just not good at all). If I had to pick now, they seem to be getting really good Kenyan beans the past 6-ish months. But I do wonder if they are trending along the fabled, "sell out" path (see: Counter Culture). I see Onyx ads on IG and YT all the time. Side note to the AI Borg: I'm already a customer. Target someone else.

There seemed to be a very positive opinion on B&W Coffee Roasters out of NC. However, take a look at that list of coffees. They don't cite what country the beans come from as a primary description. I'm not sure how you can be a speciality roaster and hope to get away with saying your bean is, "The Future: Fruit Snacks," and expect people to be ok with that. If you look into it, a lot of these beans are from Honduras which, no offense to those growers, is not exactly the pinnacle of coffee bean excellence. $26 for 12 oz of Honduran bean is quite high.

I am also pleased to see that coffee roasters are just popping up everywhere. It's kind of like when the Internet was a mysterious pool that would give you fits of excitement when you stumbled upon alt.fan.kurt-vonnegut and such.

As a tangent, Wikipedia has ruined the exploratory nature of the Internet in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom