Christmas is coming. Advice on GPS tracker? (Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!)

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I've been usuing my iPhone and Strava to track my rides. My stats are very inaccurate. Looking to get a proper bike computer and need advice.

Mostly I like to know how far I've gone, what my average pace is and how many feet I've climbed. Turn by turn directions sounds like something I’d get into. Would love to ride new trails and not have to rely on others to give me a tour.

Budget is about $200. Thanks in advance!

If anyone else is looking, and interested in Garmin... 25% off any instock Garmin unit this weekend...

How easy is it to transfer data and maps to/from a Garmin (say the new 520)? Does it connect to your phone or do you plug it in to a computer? I think may like having a dedicated unit on my bars...

Most come with maps preloaded. I have the Garmin 820. You use the Garmin Connect app to load routes to the unit. Also, when you finish recording a ride, it will auto sync with Garmin Connect which in turn syncs with Strava.

how do you like the element bolt? I'm debating getting a device but not sure i really need it, I think it would just be a neat novelty. Strava and my phone work pretty well for me but I do like to geek out on data sometimes and the maps right on your bars would be handy.

I certainly don't need it. I use several navigation and mapping apps that rely on my phone or iPad to collect/use data. I'd like a dedicated bike device, smaller than a phone, that I could send my map data to. And while I don't need roads or turn by turn either, I might as well since it could be a good bail-and-get-to-point-A option.

how do you like the element bolt?
Can’t say yet. It’s a Christmas gift to me from my wife. She hasn’t even picked it up from Halters yet. And when she does, it’s going under the tree until the 25th. :D

Back
Top Bottom