Chimney Rock Conditions

7/24/19 From the Park Commission site: Newmans Lane parking lot is temporarily closed due to storm damage. Please use Miller Lane or Gilbride Road parking areas to access the park. The Red, Blue, and White trails are temporarily closed due to storm damage. The Orange and Yellow trails will remain open for use.

https://www.somersetcountyparks.org/parksFacilities/washValley/WashingtonValleyPk.html

TM is on for tonight but we are only allowed to work on white. Still meeting at Newmans Lane

Last edited:
This park is a train wreck.
Cleared and raked outer red tonight. All of the red trail middle connectors are still blocked.
White is not rideable
Blue is not rideable.
It's going to be a while before red,white and blue are opened.
I feel this last storm was worse the hurricane Sandy.

Walked the ballfield trails plus Black today. Here's a Strava file of the loop plus the 5 things that need attention:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2561986524/overview

In all, not bad. 3 of the 5 should be gone by the end of the day, as they can be removed by someone with a hand saw. There is a big boy down by the golf bridge. Considering what I saw on red & white last night, this is not bad at all.

Walked the ballfield trails plus Black today. Here's a Strava file of the loop plus the 5 things that need attention:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2561986524/overview

In all, not bad. 3 of the 5 should be gone by the end of the day, as they can be removed by someone with a hand saw. There is a big boy down by the golf bridge. Considering what I saw on red & white last night, this is not bad at all.

Walked it myself and didn’t see any of that. ?

State of the Chimney Rock Union

Ballfields - clear
Black - clear
Orange - clear (unconfirmed)
Yellow - I believe maybe 2 trees down (unconfirmed)
Red - outer loop passable (@Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST - can you confirm?). I am told the middle trails are still blocked
White - as of last night, total disaster
Blue - as of last night, 14 trees still down (unconfirmed)

State of the Chimney Rock Union

Ballfields - clear
Black - clear
Orange - clear (unconfirmed)

CLEARED ORANGE ALONG MIDDLEBROOK. WALKED UP ALONG DAM, RIGHT AT CONNECTOR ALL CLEAR. DID NOT WALK FROM NORTH END OF THE CONNECTOR TO GUARD RAIL.

Yellow - I believe maybe 2 trees down (unconfirmed)

ONLY WALKED YELLOW SOUTH OF GILBRIDE ALONG MIDDLEBROOK. 2 TREES THAT NEED CHAINSAW. ONE BY HISTORICAL DAM. ONE IMMEDIATELY NW OF THE WOODEN BRIDGE BY GILBRIDE.

nconfirmed)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Orange "Connector" (short trail running down the middle of Orange) has a large downed tree and a smaller one next to it. I was able to handsaw a couple of smaller branches (~5" diameter), but it's going to take a chainsaw to finish the job. I didn't see any other new obstructions on the part of Orange nearest Gilbride...or the parts of Yellow that I did.

The Orange "Connector" (short trail running down the middle of Orange) has a large downed tree and a smaller one next to it. I was able to handsaw a couple of smaller branches (~5" diameter), but it's going to take a chainsaw to finish the job. I didn't see any other new obstructions on the part of Orange nearest Gilbride...or the parts of Yellow that I did.

When were you on Orange? @FitmanNJ

Last edited:
When I walked out 7:45pm Wednesday the Orange C Trail was clear except for a tree that Kirt left that blocked an alternate gate on the right going uphill. Maybe more fell?

When I was out on white Wednesday, there was one big tree in the process of falling still. It was leaning on another tree and tossing broken branches randomly. So it's possible not everything is down yet.

When I walked out 7:45pm Wednesday the Orange C Trail was clear except for a tree that Kirt left that blocked an alternate gate on the right going uphill. Maybe more fell?
I'm wondering if my use of "Orange C Trail" is inaccurate...or just confusing. If you come up the switchbacks from the Gilbride Lot (and go Right, not Left to go down by the stream), then again bear Right at the next intersection, that's the trail of interest. That "connector" (as I'm calling it) merges back with the "perimeter" Orange trail in a short distance...maybe 200 yards. The downed tree I saw which will require a chainsaw was along that short stretch of trail.

I'm wondering if my use of "Orange C Trail" is inaccurate...or just confusing. If you come up the switchbacks from the Gilbride Lot (and go Right, not Left to go down by the stream), then again bear Right at the next intersection, that's the trail of interest. That "connector" (as I'm calling it) merges back with the "perimeter" Orange trail in a short distance...maybe 200 yards. The downed tree I saw which will require a chainsaw was along that short stretch of trail.

I did not walk that section but noted. Is it all clear after that to the bottom of CR Road?

If you come up the switchbacks from the Gilbride Lot (and go Right, not Left to go down by the stream), then again bear Right

MY THOUGHT IS THAT YOU NEED TO BEAR LEFT HERE TO GET ON THE CONNECTOR. THE PHOTO IS LOOKING NORTH.

IMG_20190724_181231.jpg

at the next intersection, that's the trail of interest. That "connector" (as I'm calling it) merges back with the "perimeter" Orange trail in a short distance...maybe 200 yards. The downed tree I saw which will require a chainsaw was along that short stretch of trail.

I did not walk that section but noted. Is it all clear after that to the bottom of CR Road?
Wish I could help with that question, Kirt, but I was running out of time and only did the upper "loop" closest to Gilbride. I didn't go as far as where you're asking...

Newmans Lane along with the white, red & blue sections will remain closed thru the weekend. The eastern part of the park (yellow, orange, black and ball field) are open with parking at Millers Lane or Gilbride (or the ball field).

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions