Car-spotting thread

Not always true... I knew a guy in kinnelon that had a real one. Original owner too, he drove it most weekends.

if its the guy im thinking of (lives on fayson lakes road very close to the kinnelon rd intersection?) i graduated high school with his younger son, idr the details of the car unfortunately.

Yeah, a really real one is worth Billions of dollars. Seriously big dick status to drive that around and not GAF. There's a guy in Summit that builds them so they're always around town. The newer ones with the Coyote motors are friggin' insane. Like Rick's car but 1/2 the weight. Has to be silly to drive.

Yeah, a really real one is worth Billions of dollars. Seriously big dick status to drive that around and not GAF. There's a guy in Summit that builds them so they're always around town. The newer ones with the Coyote motors are friggin' insane. Like Rick's car but 1/2 the weight. Has to be silly to drive.

luckily @UtahJoe is not far behind....

i believe this went for $2.95M - i watched the top 10 mecum today....

if its the guy im thinking of (lives on fayson lakes road very close to the kinnelon rd intersection?) i graduated high school with his younger son, idr the details of the car unfortunately.
The guy I'm thinking of had a son that was killed in a motorcycle crash last year... I'm not sure where exactly they lived, just knew the town...

Is it a real original as in built in the 60s or is a newer Shelby remake? Both get called real but one is worth like 150k vs several million

I have only ever seen real, built in the 60s cobras at museums and a couple very high end car shows
if it was fake... they went to great lengths to put an inspection sticker in the window from the 70s. Last i saw it was around 2006. So exact details are foggy.

Are there are easy ways to spot real/replica Cobras?
to your original question...."sometimes"....Id say 99.7% of all of them you see on the road are either Factory five, ERA, backdraft (which im 99% sure is what Jims pic is)....there are something like 120 different companies that make cobra replicas which is staggering.

What makes ones like the car Jim took a pic of easy to spot as fakes.....giant wheels, pep boys looking side pipes...those quickly grab my eye anyway. Usually when you look inside replicas its easier to tell....Original cobras had a beautifully simple, but well finished interior....mustang shifter turned around backwards, few switches, backwards turning speedo...everything just looks as it should be...a race car
CSX3269-1967-427-Cobra-Roadster-1153.jpg

Often time replicas looks like this as many of them are not TRYING to be originals, they are trying to be more functional...they often have very hack looking items like door handles from mustangs, or GM steering columns, or in this case what looks like gauges out of a steam ship.
aPJJ9gZ.jpeg

But there are also several companies that try to make them exact copies of the originals...so it can be hard to tell...but if you see it out driving around, HIGHLY unlikely its a original csx2000 or csx 3000 car....which only 348 were made....just not that many people are going to be driving million dollar, totally irreplaceable cars around on the street. But im not doubting that someone out there has a real one, and would take it out from time to time...people still race and crash originals.

There are of course the continuation cars...Shelby started remaking the cobra in the mid 90s....they have a shelby serial numbers and people will say they are real cobras...and thats fine, you can say that...but they are worth ~100, maybe 150k....BIG difference driving around a 100k fiberglass kit (as in new parts that you can just replace) car to a 1, 2, 5, whatever million dollar original that has an original handmade aluminum body, etc.

they went to great lengths to put an inspection sticker in the window from the 70s.
im not saying its not original, but those stickers are pretty easy to get $20 and you can get any one you want.

luckily @UtahJoe is not far behind....

i believe this went for $2.95M - i watched the top 10 mecum today....

LOL my car is like what shelby would buy and chop up to make his $250,000 continuation versions.

speaking of my car....yesterday was the 25th anniversary of my father dying, so I took my son on a trip to cliffs ice cream....something my dad and I used to do with the car alot when i was a kid.
uBcSl01.jpeg

I see my son having that same feeling I used to have when i was his age riding around in this car.....DAD THESE PEOPLE NEXT TO US ARE TAKING PICTURES....lol....just reminds me exactly of when I used to say to my dad. omg, I loved when my dad would drive me to school in it.....Lol...I was thinking about that...even if his school was open...just wouldnt be the same me having to unbuckle him from his car seat....how uncool would that be

I finally took a picture of it clean, in the sun
acso7Ji.jpg

I still cant get used to looking at this quarter panel so perfect now....
hORt7U2.jpg

This is what it looked like for most of my life lol
KRPSF32.jpg

speaking of my car....yesterday was the 25th anniversary of my father dying, so I took my son on a trip to cliffs ice cream....something my dad and I used to do with the car alot when i was a kid.
uBcSl01.jpeg

I see my son having that same feeling I used to have when i was his age riding around in this car.....DAD THESE PEOPLE NEXT TO US ARE TAKING PICTURES....lol....just reminds me exactly of when I used to say to my dad. omg, I loved when my dad would drive me to school in it.....Lol...I was thinking about that...even if his school was open...just wouldnt be the same me having to unbuckle him from his car seat....how uncool would that be

acso7Ji.jpg

hORt7U2.jpg

KRPSF32.jpg
When are you going to scrub those RWLs? :D

When are you going to scrub those RWLs? :D
so i tried 3 different things to get it off, and nothing worked on saturday...so I just said F it, ill get to it later. Whatever this shit is...its REALLY hard to get off...simple green and a scrub brush didnt make a dent. maybe today if I get time. I was reading just straight car wash soap, which means I need to wheel the car back out and get the hose, etc...

uBcSl01.jpeg

acso7Ji.jpg

hORt7U2.jpg

KRPSF32.jpg

Close-up of the trunk - is the G still crooked?? 😃

so i tried 3 different things to get it off, and nothing worked on saturday...so I just said F it, ill get to it later. Whatever this shit is...its REALLY hard to get off...simple green and a scrub brush didnt make a dent. maybe today if I get time. I was reading just straight car wash soap, which means I need to wheel the car back out and get the hose, etc...
Brillo pads

No joke, I may have sidewall cleaner... I gotta look but they were spray cans with a foam brush on the top. Spray it on, it would foam and then you'd scrub them clean. I think they were specifically made to clean off the blue.

I need to through all my one-stop-above-horse-and-carriage stuff and drop it off at Utah's house like people leave their junk outside Goodwill outside of operating hours. Like why do I have cans of engine block cleaner? For my Honda Fit?

And to tell if a Cobra on the road is fake, just check your vision. If you see it, it's fake. Your chances of seeing a real Cobra on the road is about the same as a McLaren F1 or any other crazy priced car.

And to tell if a Cobra on the road is fake, just check your vision. If you see it, it's fake. Your chances of seeing a real Cobra on the road is about the same as a McLaren F1 or any other crazy priced car.
Especially the sidepipe/hood scoop versions that every replica copies. IIRC, less than 50 of those were built originally.

I've seen an original Cobra in the Rumson area. It was a 289 car. Slab sides, exhaust pipes out the back.

Especially the sidepipe/hood scoop versions that every replica copies. IIRC, less than 50 of those were built originally.
Thats a great point...most replicas you see are copies of the 427 S/C version of the cobra....like this original one
ZTKbllk.jpeg

However, there were only ~30 of these that were ever sold to the public...they are the most desirable of the 60s cobras (famous ones...one offs, race cars, etc excluded) and they are worth a fortune. So seeing a "real" one of these out driving around, highly unlikely.

the 427 street cobra, they made 160 of
1966-Shelby-427-Cobra-1980-11.jpg

Thats a great point...most replicas you see are copies of the 427 S/C version of the cobra....like this original one
ZTKbllk.jpeg

However, there were only ~30 of these that were ever sold to the public...they are the most desirable of the 60s cobras (famous ones...one offs, race cars, etc excluded) and they are worth a fortune. So seeing a "real" one of these out driving around, highly unlikely.

the 427 street cobra, they made 160 of
1966-Shelby-427-Cobra-1980-11.jpg
My dad loves to tell the story of how there was a leftover green 427 sitting at Hopkins Ford in Jenkintown, Pa for months, right by where I grew up. He tried to convince my grandfather to cosign for him but no-go. Still bitter to this day. :D

The guy I'm thinking of had a son that was killed in a motorcycle crash last year... I'm not sure where exactly they lived, just knew the town...

do you know the kids name? the guy im thinking of had two sons (brandon and travis iirc) and a daughter.

i havent heard about the motorcycle crash, but anything is possible. next time i talk to my dad ill ask him if he remembers anything about the car.

do you know the kids name? the guy im thinking of had two sons (brandon and travis iirc) and a daughter.

i havent heard about the motorcycle crash, but anything is possible. next time i talk to my dad ill ask him if he remembers anything about the car.
It was brandon... it was a shame to see him go so young. I think he hit a deer on 80 and then got hit by a car.

Back
Top Bottom