Cancer - The Big C

Last weekend I celebrated my 17th year of extra life that, 17 years ago before my bone marrow transplant, I thought I'd never have. I remember preparing my will and thinking that my wife would be a widow and what her life would be like without me. Because I had an incredible oncology team, family and friends helping me get through that dark time, I've been able to enjoy doing what I love most: getting outside on my bike.

PXL_20231022_160531113.jpg

@THATmanMANNY I’m in shock, reading your stories and situation- as well as all the others. This is the first time I have seen this thread. Thank you for sharing this unimaginable journey. I’m not sure what to say. You are an incredible person and have my support, anyway I can help. I’ll be thinking and sending all my positive energy to your son and family.

The same for all my MTBNJ family, who have gone and are currently fighting the C battle. Damn this post is tearing me up. 😞

Last weekend I celebrated my 17th year of extra life that, 17 years ago before my bone marrow transplant, I thought I'd never have. I remember preparing my will and thinking that my wife would be a widow and what her life would be like without me. Because I had an incredible oncology team, family and friends helping me get through that dark time, I've been able to enjoy doing what I love most: getting outside on my bike.

View attachment 225640
Right there with you. 2006, Year of the BMT.

View attachment 225640
You have been an inspiration to me and help me fight!!

Let’s fuck cancer up!

Thank you 🙏🏼 @a.s.

His “I lost count how many” spinal tap. These days are a bear. Then the series of oral medication begins. We have like 5 more months of treatment! And here is amp’d up on drugs while at Sis’s school’s color run. I think we can all agree we just keep on pushing and make the best of life regardless! No doubt I shed a tear most days though.
IMG_4014.jpegIMG_4043.jpeg

Harrison is on his 19th cycle. The reality of everything since diagnosis really sank in when the nurse went over the remaining treatment schedule. The suffering, the stress, the emotions, impacts on every day life. If there aren't any hiccups he will be done with treatment by the end of March! This is his fucking year and we are going to party hard!
IMG_5311.jpeg

I'm sorry @THATmanMANNY , @Frank and all the others suffering. This thread really puts life into perspective. For some we fight for money to be happy and others are fighting for their life or a loved one's. Growing up my mother had polio and then MS. Her's was slow going and she deteriorated throughout her 74 year life. She fought until her mind failed. My father on the other hand was a business owning carpenter and he held the fort down the whole time. Even after he retired he continued to drive my mother to work at the USGA in liberty corner because she wasn't ready to sit home and retire. Two years after my mom retired dad had some mini strokes, then 2 years later he go prostate cancer. He was too stubborn and basically told the doctors what his body needed to kick cancer and he was wrong. About 4 years later cancer came back in his lungs and he went down in a hurry. About a year later he was gone. I also have a best friend that had his oldest daughter go through leukemia treatment for 3 years straight and this was immediately after his twin daughters were born. Keep your head up and do what we do as fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters...fight and support the others by being a shoulder to lean on.

We celebrated his 2nd cancerversary last week!
Harrison has braved everything from blood transfusions, months at the hospital and clinic, many OR visits, poked every week and more, daily medicine, and he still standing, smiling, embracing life and living to the fullest. One more cycle!
Roarior! 🧡
IMG_5991.jpeg

We celebrated his 2nd cancerversary last week!
Harrison has braved everything from blood transfusions, months at the hospital and clinic, many OR visits, poked every week and more, daily medicine, and he still standing, smiling, embracing life and living to the fullest. One more cycle!
Roarior! 🧡
View attachment 233519
May the all mighty bless him with so many more celebrations. He has proven just how strong he is by his obviously positive attitude which undoubtedly flows from his loving family. Keep fighting and F cancer.

IMG_3741.jpegIMG_1011.jpegIMG_1016.jpegIMG_1035.jpegIMG_1038.jpegIMG_1048.jpegWhat a ride - I have kept it quiet but my dad collapsed in Aruba several weeks ago. They flew him into Fort Lauderdale as it was Carnivale in Aruba and a Dr. could not see him for days. He could not speak, we were told to prepare for the worst. I had a two second call with my dad, who was under heavy steroids to reduce brain swelling where he could say minimal - I was told those would be my last words with him.

I had just returned from my two week cross country road trip - literally about to take a sip from my first beer with my wife after I unpacked my van when I received the news. Within hours I flew to meet them in Ft. Lauderdale where the team at Broward stabilized him. It took a solid week in Florida to stabilize him, get both CT scans and an MRI. The doctors and team there were fantastic- through a lot of leg work we got him to Columbia in NYC where they removed a golf ball sized tumor from his brain. We were prepared to live in Fort Lauderdale if he could not get on a plane again - at first this drove me nuts until I started to think “what if they cannot operate at all” - then living in Florida did not sound so bad.

This entire process has been incredibly humbling. After sleeping on the floor of an emergency room in cruise ship ally for several days I have many stories I wish I would have never seen nor the ability to remember. The staff of these hospitals are truly hero’s. Hearing flatline multiple times in a short period of time is very real.

Dad is home and recovering. I keep waiting for it to hit me, but after going down to Florida to support my mother and thinking I would bring my father home in a wooden box I think I we are doing pretty well. I still have time with Dad, and I know a lot of people never receive that option. The good news is my father is in good health beyond this, he is a fighter.

Further - if you have the option - get trip insurance. My dad received $97,000 in medically assisted private flights (2) and a week in a Fort Lauderdale hospital for $300.00.

@UtahJoe my tattoo artist is working on the Hotel Coral Essex as we speak. 4/17 it goes down.

Wow that's some story man... I'm really sorry to hear this has happened to your dad... But like you mentioned, I was one of those people whose dad was gone in a flash when I was 18 and I have spent the rest of my life wishing I had like 2 more minutes to talk to him.... So in that sense, I'm happy for you.

Jeez that sucks glad to hear your dad is on the mend and you have him back to continue fighting.

Also lost my dad suddenly a year before I got married when I was 23, which was 6 years after my Mom finally lost her 3 round battle with cancer too.

You just never know what’s coming with this horrible disease.

Wishing Speedy recovery for him.

Holy *&$! What a roller coaster! So glad they were able to stabilize him in time to diagnose and remove the tumor. I know a little something about being helpless watching over a loved one, sleeping in ICU’s for weeks on end, never really drifting off because any change in tone on the various monitors jolts you into an instant fight or flight response. when it sinks in, and it will sink in, know you’re not alone… despite how you‘ll no doubt feel. One of the hardest lessons I had to learn is being “the rock” does not mean suppressing your emotions. trust me on this one.

Last edited:
Oh John, this is all just terrible. My dad developed a tumor in his brain when I was 22 and I recalled some of the same emotions from reading your post. Thankfully for you and your dad, medical technology has made great strides since 1983. Like @UtahJoe , I would have given much just to have had a little more time with my dad, but that was not meant to be 😢😢. Like the stupid commercial says “cherish your loved ones” and I hope he makes a full recovery. Love you brother.

Our boy received his last dose of poison! Next stop - port removal! 25 months - transfusions, spinal taps, chemotherapy. A part of our lives that was sad, tough, emotional, and yet somehow unforgettable in more positive ways than imagined. The support, love, and care from everyone has been truly remarkable. No one should fight alone no matter what they are fighting. So remember to wear your heart one your sleeve and check in with your peoples. A reminder that life is precious, you’re stronger than you think you are, grateful and thankful.
IMG_6384.jpegIMG_6405.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom