Building my cycling/camping trailer....

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Because @Santapez told me to... So here it is.

If you didn't see my WTB thread, I had settled on a 5x8 for a few reasons. Basically = small, but big enough to give cargo options. Thanks again @scotth for the quick sale 🤘

I have a million ideas brewing for both the RTT frame structure as well as the bike storage. I found some examples on the web.....not impressed, but solid starting points to get the creative ideas running rampant.

Im set on the bikes being accessible from the back for both convenience and keeping heavier cargo forward of the axle..... But still need to put pencil to paper to narrow down which method(s) will work best. I think I have a winner, but need to check real estate with RTT measurements. I also don't want to design it too specific to one RTT model in case I change it in the future.

First steps this weekend is just like training for racing.... have to start with a SOLID base. So ill be installing a swivel tongue trailer jack and telescoping stabilizer jacks on each corner.

PXL_20240208_231213767.MP.jpg

PXL_20240208_231159111.jpg

PXL_20240208_232048318.jpg

Played around with a few different setups after work today. We're going to go with rear facing fork mounts to get 5 across the back. This also enabled me to mount the RTT only 36" above the floor, so when it's closed the top will match the top of the trailer gate. I could probably even add a panel from the tent to the gate for weather protection 🤔.... But one step at a time.

Stabilizer jacks first, then bike mounts, then RTT framing, then weatherproof cargo containers...

PXL_20240210_000125629.MP.jpg

So what's the purpose of the trailer?

Storage and bike holder? Camper? You mention a tent.

If just bike and storage. I think a kitchen would be awesome.

Side tables? Portable sink area?
Tent pole holders for a awning? (That would be a cheap and easy way to have a tarp over the kitchen area.

Primary goal is to haul bikes, camping/cooking gear, and mount a roof top tent, and then still be able to use vehicle without closing up shop. Not planning on anything fancy.

Also trying to keep it simple and light enough for my wife to tow with her wrangler to some of the races that are 4+ hrs away.

Primary goal is to haul bikes, camping/cooking gear, and mount a roof top tent, and then still be able to use vehicle without closing up shop. Not planning on anything fancy.

Also trying to keep it simple and light enough for my wife to tow with her wrangler to some of the races that are 4+ hrs away.
So a box on a trailer with a tent on top?
That's pretty cool.

i follow rv builds in van on you tube.
Here's some of my thoughts:

Some use 8020 aluminum inside the vans. You could use this to make the box. It would be lighter than wood.
Then cover it with thin marine plywood wood and/or poor man's fiberglass.
A simple ladder will get you up.

Then either use a series of bins- 8020 can be used for shelves, or they can be hung for access. Or plastic drawers for storage.

Add hanging folding shelves on the sides for workspace.

Led lights and a battery and your golden.

Played around with a few different setups after work today. We're going to go with rear facing fork mounts to get 5 across the back. This also enabled me to mount the RTT only 36" above the floor, so when it's closed the top will match the top of the trailer gate. I could probably even add a panel from the tent to the gate for weather protection 🤔.... But one step at a time.

Stabilizer jacks first, then bike mounts, then RTT framing, then weatherproof cargo containers...

View attachment 232429
Looking forward to following along on this project. When using our teardrop camper:
For leveling, I use this. Put it on the low side and level side to side, then use the tongue jack to level front to back.

For stabilizing after leveling, my teardrop camper has (4) of these mounted underneath each corner.

@JDurk I went budget route with the jacks. Figure most of our camping will be at proper sites with relatively level parking. And when it's not, a little bit of technique will get it close enough.

Might install these tomorrow and then mock up the fork mounts which should also be arriving.

PXL_20240210_231531328~2.jpg

@JDurk I went budget route with the jacks. Figure most of our camping will be at proper sites with relatively level parking. And when it's not, a little bit of technique will get it close enough.

Might install these tomorrow and then mock up the fork mounts which should also be arriving.

View attachment 232469
Use the term relatively level very loosely. Raystown is always good. Hickory Run and Ricketts Glen in PA both have room for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom