Blue Mega Loop - Friday 9am

xc62701

Late notice but I'll be doing the Blue Mountain Death Loop tomorrow. I plan to be riding by 9 or so and will be checking it all out. Pace will be B+/A- so if anyone has the day and wants to get some miles in let me know. If not I'll let ya know how the trails are.

Jealous!
Please do report back...

I did about half of the mega loop and it was good but man is it hard to ride blue with deep leaf cover. I surprised myself in a couple of situations that I cleaned and got frustrated in others. I was following a garmin loop and got crossed up as I really didn't look over the loop beforehand. Then I hit my knee into my stem and opted to end the loop early. I'll go back when I can do the entire loop without worrying about a race looming this weekend and having the leaf cover a little more packed down. Outside of that...Blue is an amazing place to ride.

I will get another attempt at the monster loop posted up and probably on a Sunday so more could attend.

Yup. The Bogner Death Loop is still alive. Wasn't there a nice map of it somewhere? Yea John I think I was using your garmin file but it was still hard to follow as the trails cross over and are so close together at times.

Here's JB's map of it, modified a couple of years ago to use the new rambler trail when you come off MFT.

All-Blue-race-map.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome...that's what I was looking for. This will definitely be attempted again soon. Tentatively December 14.

Is El Capitan doable in the counter clockwise direction? Or is it best just to go clockwise - that's the only direction I've ever ridden it.

Yeah, there's a rock roller that's hard to get up IIRC but it's WAY more doable than attempting debacle while you are even remotely tired ;)

Yeah, there's a rock roller that's hard to get up IIRC but it's WAY more doable than attempting debacle while you are even remotely tired ;)

Is that the one where you go right between the two trees? I've been riding up at Blue the last couple of weekends, and it's tough learning the park when you can barely see the trails with all the leaves. Debacle was pretty ridiculous, need to try it again when the trails are clear.

I vaguely recall trying to ride up El Cap a long time ago, there was a small tree near the bottom which was nigh on impossible to work your way around going uphill. I think it's long since gone so it might be far easier now as you could possibly carry some speed into the rock face.

Back
Top Bottom