Blauvelt State Park, NY

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I've been exploring this place recently since I moved to West Nyack. Not a bad trail system. It's all fairly new and not too long but Leo and the local trail crew (Palisades MTB) have been steadily adding quality singletrack to this park. The trails are fast and flowy - a nice break from the rockier stuff you get at Ringwood and Jungle. Perfect if you live in the northeastern part of NJ (Montvalle, Westwood, etc.) or Hudson Valley.

Definitely! There are also a few neighboring parks that they are hoping to link in order to make a bigger trail network.

This great to hear. I still haven't made it there. Someone said it was still pretty technical but I guess it's all subjective. I ride the scout camp every weekend but it's hard finding local quality trails to ride with my son.

This great to hear. I still haven't made it there. Someone said it was still pretty technical but I guess it's all subjective. I ride the scout camp every weekend but it's hard finding local quality trails to ride with my son.
There are a lot of Cold War error bunkers and concrete structures throughout Blauvelt. Most of it is half buried with tunnels running under the forest. I think your kid will love it.

Can you recommend any sort of loop or share a GPX / Strava file? I've hiked this place several times and felt that there are some ride-able trails. Just hoping I can learn from someone else's experience as opposed to the hard way. But, I'm not totally opposed to the hard way.

PS Those tunnels are pretty cool. Lots of graffiti and way too much trash, but still cool.
http://www.weirdus.com/states/new_york/local_legends/tweed/index.php

Can you recommend any sort of loop or share a GPX / Strava file? I've hiked this place several times and felt that there are some ride-able trails. Just hoping I can learn from someone else's experience as opposed to the hard way. But, I'm not totally opposed to the hard way.

PS Those tunnels are pretty cool. Lots of graffiti and way too much trash, but still cool.
http://www.weirdus.com/states/new_york/local_legends/tweed/index.php

I don't have a GPX, but my suggestion is to park at Tackamack park and ride down towards Marisco Court. Then you will cross the street and head into Blauvelt.

Once you enter the park, you will briefly be on the LP (totally legal). Next you will hang a left across a small bridge and begin climbing up.

There has been a significant effort to blaze the trails, so hopefully it isn't too bad to navigate. Just avoid the LP!

First off, I don't recommend you explore the tunnels alone, and definitely not in the dark. As for the trails, they are blazed. There's a nice 5-6 mile route. Here's my Strava. I went off trail a few times to explore. Keep an eye for the blazes and you'll be okay.

37861007001_4939676480001_4939648356001-vs.jpg

More fun stuff discovered yesterday. Found a bike trail in Nike Overlook Park that bypasses the Long Path and takes you into Blauvelt. That makes for 11+ miles of single track so far. I'm sure there's more and I'm determined to find it. Definitely worth checking out. PM me if you want more info or a tour sometime.

More fun stuff discovered yesterday. Found a bike trail in Nike Overlook Park that bypasses the Long Path and takes you into Blauvelt. That makes for 11+ miles of single track so far. I'm sure there's more and I'm determined to find it. Definitely worth checking out. PM me if you want more info or a tour sometime.
Have you been to tallman yet? I know it's technically off limits but there is some legit single track and you can link it to Blauvelt with rail trail and some roads.

Have you been to tallman yet? I know it's technically off limits but there is some legit single track and you can link it to Blauvelt with rail trail and some roads.
Word on the street is that the local MTB chapter is working to get access to Tallman. That's going to be a lot of sweet trails. I still have to build up to that kind of mileage but it will be good training ground for next year's Bear Scat 50! :D

Reposting @jerzey111's post-

This was held back until final approval came through,
but the Blauvelt Map is now live!

The PDF map is georeferenced, so you can use it for live navigation with a free app such as Avenza PDF Maps.

Link to page: http://www.palisadesmtb.org/?x-portfolio=blauvelt-state-park

Link to map: http://www.palisadesmtb.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/PMTB_Blauvelt_GEOREF.pdf

Link to GPX: http://www.soundz.org/mtbnj/jmanic/Blauvelt_PalisadesMTB.gpx

I have also uploaded the map to Maprika,
it's being held for review before being made public.
Hopefully it will be up soon!

I have also uploaded the map to Maprika
I couldn't find on Maprika yesterday. So, I loaded it. It's there now and tracks well.

When I was pulling into Tackamack Park, I noticed a couple other MTB riders were leaving the lot, but seemingly heading south. Are there more trails on the south side? I know the Long Path is over there, and know that MTB is not permitted on that, but are there alternative trails to connect to Tallman State Park? PM if preferred.

I couldn't find on Maprika yesterday. So, I loaded it. It's there now and tracks well.

When I was pulling into Tackamack Park, I noticed a couple other MTB riders were leaving the lot, but seemingly heading south. Are there more trails on the south side? I know the Long Path is over there, and know that MTB is not permitted on that, but are there alternative trails to connect to Tallman State Park? PM if preferred.

There will be bits of road involved, but you can pop out at the Rockland Cemetery or the Nike Park. From there, you can use the Joseph Clark rail trail and roads to the Tallman entrance where Ferdon Ave changes to Piermont Ave.

There are trails on the Nike side but my recollection is that they were pretty meh. Although things may have changed since then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom