Bike shop boycott NRA?

I was avoiding coming into the conversation, but I always hear this argument and it is silly. Knives and cars have practical uses such as tools and transportation. The primary function of a gun is to kill.
sure, but here is the issue. you think we should ban guns. good deal. I am sure you own things that I don't agree with. so take my guns, and then I get to come to your house and take everything I don't want you to have. its not the guns. its not the knives. its not the cars. its people making choices. under your world people wouldn't get to make choices. if you like that idea, feel free to head on over to north korea, iran, or another great country like that where people get to live in utopia because the government knows best.

here is what small minded folks don't follow...you let them take one thing, then they take another. then another. does anyone need an assault rifle? not in my mind no. however, I am willing to let anyone have one that wants one because I don't want you or anyone else telling me what I can and cannot have or do. I am willing to take that risk to maintain what little freedom we have left.

Oh no, is this morphing into "Lock her up, lock her up!" Speaking of locking up.......Norm?

Why do you say that? Whether you are pro or anti-assault weapons, the "ban" slick willie enacted was absurd. Does this look like an "assault rifle" to you? Well it wasn't, according to the ban

32607-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Why do you say that? Whether you are pro or anti-assault weapons, the "ban" slick willie enacted was absurd. Does this look like an "assault rifle" to you? Well it wasn't, according to the ban

32607-DEFAULT-l.jpg
Yep. But my Marlin Model 60 that my parents gave me when I was 14 is banned in NJ under an assault weapons ban. For those who don't know it's basically a squirrel gun.

70620_60_Right.png

It resides in their safe in WI so I don't get a mandatory 5 year prison term in NJ for possessing it here.

Yep. But my Marlin Model 60 that my parents gave me when I was 14 is banned in NJ under an assault weapons ban. For those who don't know it's basically a squirrel gun.

View attachment 64360
It resides in their safe in WI so I don't get a mandatory 5 year prison term in NJ for possessing it here.

because of the cartridge capacity?

because of the cartridge capacity?
Yes. I am pretty sure mine is actually NJ legal as Marlin changed the capacity of the gun due to these laws but "Marlin Model 60" is on the list of Jersey banned guns so I don't want to take chances with a well-meaning yet under-informed law enforcement officer if it should ever come into question. Such is life as a gun owner in NJ. The laws are so strict here that the the slightest mis-step will land you in jail and probably prison.

In my mind this is case and point why gun control laws don't work. I am a law abiding citizen. I lock my guns in a safe. I maintain my FID card. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds but I have never killed anything other than targets. I gave up my Marlin to comply with a law (actually just to play it safe) because prison is a real deterrent to me. By definition criminals don't obey the law. The unfortunate reality is that a black market exists. That can't be denied. John Smith gang banger doesn't get an FID card, go through background checks, buy a gun legally, have a safe, or care about prison or society in general. What guns are these laws actually controlling? Those of us who actually play by the rules are at a disadvantage.

Yup, force him to use a less efficient tool for killing people. Assault rifles are designed to kill people as efficiently as possible. That’s why the army uses them. They need to be removed from the public ASAP.
Military also uses bombs. I haven't heard you advocate for banning all materials to make home made bombs. Sounds like you're more focused on removing guns from law abiding citizens than protecting innocent people from terrorism.

Yes. I am pretty sure mine is actually NJ legal as Marlin changed the capacity of the gun due to these laws but "Marlin Model 60" is on the list of Jersey banned guns so I don't want to take chances with a well-meaning yet under-informed law enforcement officer if it should ever come into question. Such is life as a gun owner in NJ. The laws are so strict here that the the slightest mis-step will land you in jail and probably prison.

In my mind this is case and point why gun control laws don't work. I am a law abiding citizen. I lock my guns in a safe. I maintain my FID card. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds but I have never killed anything other than targets. I gave up my Marlin to comply with a law (actually just to play it safe) because prison is a real deterrent to me. By definition criminals don't obey the law. The unfortunate reality is that a black market exists. That can't be denied. John Smith gang banger doesn't get an FID card, go through background checks, buy a gun legally, have a safe, or care about prison or society in general. What guns are these laws actually controlling? Those of us who actually play by the rules are at a disadvantage.

so this is where the generalization of capacity fails - what they really wanted to exclude is fast-reloading via high capacity magazines.
i'm sure there is a clip to pour rounds in. how fast do you think you could reload?

---
if you are still in this thread, i just realized there are many technical terms being used. if you are not 100% sure, please read up
on bullet, shell, cartridge, clip, magazine, semi automatic, automatic, bolt action, rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader (you'll be surprised)
100 more terms to learn, what other major ones?
it will help spot inconsistencies in reporting (on both sides) - a little education will help lend cred to any opinion if you want it to be about the gun.

Last edited:
BTW, my daughter was locked in the closet of the store she worked in at the Paramus Mall shooting and doesn't remember the kind of gun that was drawn on her.....

i don't want to ignore this - i'm glad training, and situation let her come out physically ok.
such a different situation than a straight up robbery (i know a few people that this happened to)

so this is where the generalization of capacity fails - what they really wanted to exclude is fast-reloading via high capacity magazines.
i'm sure there is a clip to pour rounds in. how fast do you think you could reload?

What the purpose of excluding high capacity magazines when there is no one there to stop him from changing mags. The Florida shooter shot for 7 minutes. Mag capacity would not have made a difference

Last edited:
I would hardly consider that article to be objective. Just take a look at the titles of other pieces German Lopez has authored. Without even reading them there is an obvious agenda.

Oh, without ever reading the studies by Harvard and Boston University that are cited by the author?

I read, so I will summarize:

More guns=more gun homicide.

Is it clear?

What the purpose of excluding high capacity magazines when there is no one there to stop him.

there are people of action - its horrible that there were people in place that did not act.

i'll take a baseball bat and the element of surprise. thank you.
rather die a hero, or just die trying.

a shooter assumes they are in control of this situation. the risk of being confronted is very low.

anyone want to try to hijack a plane nowadays? they better be able to take down everyone on the plane, cause there isn't anyone
who isn't going to resist.

there are people of action - its horrible that there were people in place that did not act.

i'll take a baseball bat and the element of surprise. thank you.
rather die a hero, or just die trying.

a shooter assumes they are in control of this situation. the risk of being confronted is very low.

anyone want to try to hijack a plane nowadays? they better be able to take down everyone on the plane, cause there isn't anyone
who isn't going to resist.

So you would use a weapon to defend yourself, why not use a better weapon than a bat.

We also gave pilots guns, added layers on hardening and put air marshals on planes

Had an ar15..... old one without the bolt assist. Got rid of it. Fun to shoot, no recoil unlike my 8mm mouser. Did not like what it represented.

That's cool. Seriously. You gave it a shot (no pun intended) and it wasn't for you. At least you have made an informed decision. I think a lot of people who are anti-gun have no experience with them at all and that is a shame.

To a lot of people "what it represents" is far from evil. I don't advocate that everyone must like guns. I am not for mandatory gun ownership. I am, however, supportive of those of us who choose to take on the responsibility to do so.

Back
Top Bottom