Bike Rack and License Plate Visibility

I do worry about my bike rack getting rear ended when I use it tho, even when its upright and blocking my license plate in a parking lot.
i worry about this too... but i put a shit ton of reflective tape all over the thing (including the arms that go over the wheels) and, when i park in the street, i put the arms up (think triangle shape) so that it's more noticeable if someone's parallel parking behind me. i'd like to think that helps. (at this point tho, i almost want someone to hit the rack so i have an excuse to get a new one)

I'm being too lazy to read through all this so quick question, is it illegal to drive with the bike rack in the down position without a bike on it?
The trooper that patrols by my son's highschool has now targeted him and ticketed him for having his license plate blocked with the Thule rack in the up position. This may become a weekly ordeal.

I'm being too lazy to read through all this so quick question, is it illegal to drive with the bike rack in the down position without a bike on it?
The trooper that patrols by my son's highschool has now targeted him and ticketed him for having his license plate blocked with the Thule rack in the up position. This may become a weekly ordeal.

I don't believe that option has been discussed here...

Given the fact that the rack only has two positions and the up position is apparently illegal you would assume that the down position has to be legal, or the whole rack would be illegal...but I learned not to assume anything anymore.

Only contribution I can make here is that since reading this thread I religiously take my bike rack off after using it to go to a ride. I was planning to remove the second tray and cut the spine shorter so that it doesn't cover the tag but never got to it, plus I am lazy.

I don't believe that option has been discussed here...

Given the fact that the rack only has two positions and the up position is apparently illegal you would assume that the down position has to be legal, or the whole rack would be illegal...but I learned not to assume anything anymore.

Only contribution I can make here is that since reading this thread I religiously take my bike rack off after using it to go to a ride. I was planning to remove the second tray and cut the spine shorter so that it doesn't cover the tag but never got to it, plus I am lazy.

Another good reason to ditch the stupid bike rack and just chuck your bike in the back

Let me clarify, High School parking lot + empty (deployed) bike rack = ACCIDENT / Hassle / $$$ !!!!! I can't believe the idiotic accident storied both my sons have witnessed in the DelVal parking lot!

I don't think leaving the rack in the down position is a good idea. You will probably have to attach some sort of warning flag.

Since the officer is being a hard azz about this, removal is the best option.

Oh and this is for the officer...

Which rack are you using, Leo?
Yakima HoldUp. It also doubles as a bench press, it weights about 200000000000000000000000000 lbs!

I may move to something else, I already have issues to fit the trail bike with 29"x 2.6" tires,no way it's going to accomodate for the Mukky.

Last edited:
Yakima HoldUp. It also doubles as a bench press, it weights about 200000000000000000000000000 lbs!

I maymove to something else, I already have issues to fit the trail bike with 29"x 2.6" tires,no way it's going to accomodate for the Mukky.
That heavy, Leo, and you can still install it quickly? That's a surprise...

I may move to something else, I already have issues to fit the trail bike with 29"x 2.6" tires,no way it's going to accomodate for the Mukky.
1up you saw mine skookum as fig

Clearly the solution to all this is to buy a pickup.

if carrying lots of bikes is the norm, it is a problem. if it is usually one bike, or two - get the smaller, lighter solution.
I tip it down when there isn't a bike on it - better plate exposure - then if i park it in a lot, i tilt it up, to get it out of the way.
i have a plate bracket, but that requires another plate (which you can order.) perhaps putting one on the rack, so it is visible
when up is an economical solution (and you can let the officer know you ordered it, doing the right thing)

$11 https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehicles/SPU89.pdf

1576027470680.png

Last edited:
if carrying lots of bikes is the norm, it is a problem. if it is usually one bike, or two - get the smaller, lighter solution.
I tip it down when there isn't a bike on it - better plate exposure - then if i park it in a lot, i tilt it up, to get it out of the way.
i have a plate bracket, but that requires another plate (which you can order.) perhaps putting one on the rack, so it is visible
when up is an economical solution (and you can let the officer know you ordered it, doing the right thing)

$11 https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehicles/SPU89.pdf

View attachment 113129
I think that was already discussed but not viable. Also, the form states replacement for lost or damaged plate.

Back
Top Bottom