Big Boulder / Jack Frost trails

GregE21

Headed up towards Big Boulder / Jack Frost for the 4th of July. If anyone knows of any trails up there, feel free to let me know???

Thx

The trails near Camelback are decent. They are located in PA State Game Lands #138 next to Big Pocono State Park. Can be hard to find the best trails without a local though. They have group rides there on Wed and Fri evenings. Here are a couple links for info:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/bigpocono.aspx

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-pennsylvania/trail/PRD_169937_4573crx.aspx

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/big-pocono-game-lands.html

Stop by the Loft Ski and Bike Shop on the road into Camelback and they should have trail maps.

"legal Jim Thorpe Riding"

Are any of the Jim Thorpe trails off 903 "legal" to ride again?....Last buzz I heard was that most areas up there have been off limits for awhile now.....and only the switchback rail-trail allowed.

I would like some info from anyone who is in the "know"

My parents moved up that way a few years ago and I would love to hit all the good trails up there sometime on a long weekend.

I heard American Standard was one of the great trails, but don't know if its off 903 or the trail head is somewhere else....:confused:

Techincally all of the single track trails on Stage Game Lands are illegal to ride. The reality is two-fold:

First, it wasn't the Game Commision that laid down the law - it was the Federal Govt who had a tiss about it a number of years ago with regards to funding and how said funding is used. By allowing mtn bikes the land technically becomes multi-use, which is not how the money was allocated. It's more complicated, but that's the Clif Notes version.

Second, everyone knows damn well how important mtn bikers and tourists are to the local economy and it doesn't appear anyone wants to rock the boat too much. I've yet to hear of anyone getting hassled for riding there and I have a friend who lives nearby and rides there a lot.

That said, during hunting season, it's probably best to limit riding to Sundays (no hunting in PA on Sunday).

Techincally all of the single track trails on Stage Game Lands are illegal to ride. The reality is two-fold:

First, it wasn't the Game Commision that laid down the law - it was the Federal Govt who had a tiss about it a number of years ago with regards to funding and how said funding is used. By allowing mtn bikes the land technically becomes multi-use, which is not how the money was allocated. It's more complicated, but that's the Clif Notes version.

Second, everyone knows damn well how important mtn bikers and tourists are to the local economy and it doesn't appear anyone wants to rock the boat too much. I've yet to hear of anyone getting hassled for riding there and I have a friend who lives nearby and rides there a lot.

That said, during hunting season, it's probably best to limit riding to Sundays (no hunting in PA on Sunday).

Thanks for the update on this!......Now I just have to find the trailhead(s)...My parents live North of JT...just off of 903:getsome:

Thanks for the update on this!......Now I just have to find the trailhead(s)...My parents live North of JT...just off of 903:getsome:

Your best bet is to ride with somebody that knows the trails. I've ridden there a handful of times and it's real easy to get turned around if you don't know the route. One time I was with a guy that "knows" American Standard, and we got off the loop three times.

Your best bet is to ride with somebody that knows the trails. I've ridden there a handful of times and it's real easy to get turned around if you don't know the route. One time I was with a guy that "knows" American Standard, and we got off the loop three times.

Agreed. The trails on Broad Mtn aren't as convoluted as those in the Strip Mines, but they're close. Trail markings are vague at best.

I have been riding there for over 15 years and my parents live 4 miles out of downtown JT....stop by Blue Mountain sports located right by the train station for info on some trails.

I have been riding there for over 15 years and my parents live 4 miles out of downtown JT....stop by Blue Mountain sports located right by the train station for info on some trails.

My parents have been up there for about 3 years...my father worked 1 summer for pocono whitewater..shuttling the rafts and bikes....but they only have info on the rail-trail....so I'll def. stop in to Blue mtn. the next time I'm in town or summon the help of a local who wouldn't mind playing tour guide..;)

Back
Top Bottom