Best tires for XC rock races?

/thread

IMG_3497.jpeg

Tire choices are totally subjective. And there are so many new xc options out there.

I rode 2.4 aspens (29mm internal rim width) at Jungle habitat in the pouring rain and thought they were awesome. They’re light, and I ran low psi with inserts. If I had too much air in them, I would have wanted to throw my bike off a cliff that day. If I got a flat, I would be saying f those tires.

I think the schwalbe snake skin tires offer pretty good sidewall protection. I’ve raced with the Racing Ray / Ralph combo. These aren’t as high volume so I run higher psi. Then I don’t need inserts with them and they seem to be faster rolling than the Maxxis 2.4s. But they don’t grip wet rocks nearly as well in this scenario.

I have been running a set of Vittoria Barzo for the last couple seasons. My riding is done in the Rocky portion of NJ; Allamuchy, Stephens, Chimney Rock, Kittatinny…. And I have been happy with their performance.

Best XC tire, that is personal preference. But I have been pleased with the Barzo’s.

They had rocks on the courses back
I have been running a set of Vittoria Barzo for the last couple seasons. My riding is done in the Rocky portion of NJ; Allamuchy, Stephens, Chimney Rock, Kittatinny…. And I have been happy with their performance.

Best XC tire, that is personal preference. But I have been pleased with the Barzo’s.
Would you run a front insert also? I’ve had some success with thinner casing xc tires with inserts front and rear.

For XC, I ride Vittoria Barzo Front 2.25 and 2.25 Schwable Thunderburt Semi-Slick Rear. All comes down to pressure and riding technique. But, I'm OLD SCHOOL.

This is for the rocks. I feel the aspen has phenomenal grip in the front.
Maybe run Aspens front and rear then if they grip that good.

The combo I mentioned above is what I run for XC rocks: NNJ, NY, VT and PA. I've always run knobbier or bigger tire on the front and faster rolling on the rear. In addition to the Pivot I mentioned in the previous post, I'm running OG tread Forekaster 2.6/2.35 F/R combo on my rigid SS for rocky XC races.

Assuming 29in wheel, what size for each tire? 2.25, 2.4, 2.6?

Last edited:
He’d probably say something dumb about SS is faster and Aspens FTW. Then he would get cancelled by the woke MTBNJ moderators and his site access would be slowed down. This can’t possibly happen unless it’s run by people that were bullies as kids could it? Wait, we were talking about rocks and tires…

Reactions: Ejd
I find the Maxxis Forecaster a very reliable choice: 2.6 in front, 2.4 in rear. There are some tires that may roll faster but will suck in mud, and some that have a more supple compound, but will wear out faster and suck in loose condition. The forecaster is my goldilocks all around tire for rocky XC and more. .... and this is coming from a recovered tire whore.

Back
Top Bottom