Berkshire Valley WMA?

Sean has take me into the snow bowl once. It was a very sketchy steep decent if I remember correctly. Not sure how to get in there so Im not really any help.:rolleyes:

Tried some of the WMA north of route 15 today:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19682851

For Sean:

* We ran into a guy with a gun who said we were on Jefferson gun club land. This was after you seem to have gone down to that road where we saw him, turned around, then trailblazed on top of the ridge. Did you, in fact, trail blaze?

* There was a very wet spot about 30 minutes or less into the ride. Looks like the road was eaten by a beaver dam. When you went it was likely frozen over. Is there a better way around?

* Is the southern point on that loop anything that will reasonably be able to connect up to the crossing of route 15?

Did he say Jefferson Sportsmen of Jefferson Gun Club? They're kinda sorta one in the same, but Sportsmen lease all the land that is not WMA or MD for hunting. Compton Gobel and Waldon Rds are easements and legal access, everything else is not. They have the right to tell you to get off that trail, but I've never had to bushwhack before. The easy way to avoid all of that is to take Beaver Brook. But during hunting season, you DEFINITELY want to wear no white and as much safety orange or hunter red as humanly possible there.

You can ride through that 'wet spot' on the low side of the beaver dam. As you continue to follow my GPS tracks you'll find out why my group rides often advertised the likelihood of wet feet, year round.

Yes. Had you taken a right on that chip road instead of a left, you would have ended up at the intersection of Taylor rd and Rt 15, where the connection is.

I wouldn't call the approach to snowbowl technical. It's typical, highly used NJ quad trail. It's kinda hard to get lost. Once you're on that main Fire road(compton gobel, which becomes Waldon), just stay on what looks like the main trail. When you get up on top of the ridge overlooking the school, go left for a few hundred yards. The descents on snowbowl are washed out and loose, but I thoroughly enjoy them. Just point it straight and stay loose. Use the rocks to keep your speed in check.:getsome:

Did he say Jefferson Sportsmen of Jefferson Gun Club? They're kinda sorta one in the same, but Sportsmen lease all the land that is not WMA or MD for hunting. Compton Gobel and Waldon Rds are easements and legal access, everything else is not. They have the right to tell you to get off that trail, but I've never had to bushwhack before. The easy way to avoid all of that is to take Beaver Brook. But during hunting season, you DEFINITELY want to wear no white and as much safety orange or hunter red as humanly possible there.

You can ride through that 'wet spot' on the low side of the beaver dam. As you continue to follow my GPS tracks you'll find out why my group rides often advertised the likelihood of wet feet, year round.

Yes. Had you taken a right on that chip road instead of a left, you would have ended up at the intersection of Taylor rd and Rt 15, where the connection is.

We were on Compton-Gobel when he told us to split. No big deal, the guy with the gun always wins. I'll be smarter about riding where people shoot stuff in the future. Is this place generally much less crowded in the summer?

We found the quad crossing of that beaver dam just downstream a bit on the ride yesterday. Of course we found it after we crossed on the rocks. No wet feet but it's annoying. If/when I go back I'll see how deep it is.

Once you cross 15 at Taylor, it appears that the WMA technically starts across the street. I'm definitely interested to check out that direction. And beyond.

I rode the WMA on Sunday morning and it was a little wet / muddy in spots but overall not bad. On the gordon rr side there was a bunch of water but it was still ridable. According to the website this is open until 4/15 for ridding and then closed until June sometime.

Back
Top Bottom