Bear

John Baumann

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before. Saw a medium size bear just off the red trail closer to the Denville side of the park. It only scampered a few yards away as I passed then it stopped to watch me. I slowed down and looked cautiously to see if there were any others(cubs) but there weren't so I continued on my way. It was kind of eerie.

I saw one yesterday evening on Red Trail closer to 287. Little one, was looking for a momma bear but nothing to be seen. This one stopped for a second 'til I made a ruckus and then he took off down the hill towards the lake.

bears are back in town

bears are back...hhmm seems to be making the news, i guess the attack on a hiker and dog, now make every sighting a big deal. I thought all the jersey bears were hunted down a couple of years ago,when they made it open season. These new bears,that are showing up now, must have been vacationing in pennsylvania or new york state at the time. If anybodys a animal rights type,bears right to be bears, don't get on your computer and mention every glimpse of bear you may get on a mountainbike ride. Make a lot of noise,launch off all the rocks,skid alot , put a card in your spokes ,whatever those bears will stay out of your way, all you'll see is bear rear end. If you contribute to the hype, you'll be part of them reopening hunting and they'll be palin types in helicopters gunning down the rest of the bears with lazer sights.

Last 4 years of riding trails in NW Jersey, bear sightings are always more frequent in June and early July. A biologist would know more about their migratory patterns but June and early July seems to be peak migratory times for bears. If the last few years offer a trend, after mid July, there will be fewer sightings.

I ran into 2 yesterday but they ran off on sight and sound of me.

Last edited:
Maybe it's one bear who has figured a way to link all the parks in the area. They should probably tag him with an Edge 705 so we can post his route.

I watched a 300+lber attack the "big yellow ball on a rope" thingy on my kids' Rainbow playset yesterday. He looked like he was having a blast. I'm cool with it until he gets anywhere near my kids. Then it's over Johnny.

Maybe it's one bear who has figured a way to link all the parks in the area. They should probably tag him with an Edge 705 so we can post his route.

I watched a 300+lber attack the "big yellow ball on a rope" thingy on my kids' Rainbow playset yesterday. He looked like he was having a blast. I'm cool with it until he gets anywhere near my kids. Then it's over Johnny.

Now THAT is something I'd pay good money to see. Is that the headliner for next years JORBAfest?

I've seen a Bear hanging around the dumpster at the parking lot at the bottom of McCaffery Lane. Rode right by it. He didn't seem to care.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions