Attaching my number

Wood a hot glue gun work betterererer?

Saw one guy two seasons ago using those rare earth magnets. Looked cool, until the race official told him it was upside down AND on the wrong side. I think he may have lost one when the inside magnet fell down inside his skinsuit. ouch. :eek:

Ask someone to do it once, then leave the pins in your jersey for the rest of the year.

On the other side of this conversation: how to stop getting people to ask you to pin their numbers. You would think that stabbing people repeatedly with "safety" pins would do the trick, but apparently not. Some pointers to get out of this:

* use the holes, rip at least 1 of the corners
* pin the lower corner far too deep into the arm pit area so that the remainder of warm-up they are irritated by metal rubbing there
* start breathing heavily while doing it
* stab them on the last pin. Always the last pin. As they walk away say "oh wait let me fix that"
* say things like "jesus christ, if I stab you I wonder if you'll even feel it with all this lard on your ass"
* at the end, make them hold the position on top of the chair as if you are an artist admiring their work. After a full minute say "no this won't do" and start it all over again

If they use glue, and give you the number with glue, make sure you drop it on the ground first. Then ask for the glue can and spray it on everyone in a 23 foot radius, then put it on upside down.

HTH

* Crumple the number up into a little ball and then smooth it back out before pinning
* Use 5 pins, one at each corner and one on the leading edge to reduce flapping
* Go through the number and the fabric twice with each pin, down and then back up through

@The Squirrel
Note that referring to an article of clothing as a top is only acceptable if you are in a long standing relationship and over 30. If you fit in one of these categories, top away. Same goes for piece.

I suppose this is true. An one should really only use top in conjunction with the adjective cute.

Bottom right. but 8 pins. or 7 if you are feeling biblical. 6 pins is bad juju.
number_placementpins_img_4.png

remember...pinners are winners.

Thanks for this thread....Now not only do I have to show up to my first cross race completely in over my head, but you're saying that I have to manage some coordination in pinning a number properly to my jersey...:confused:

I think I'm more intimidated by the numbers now than the racing as I know I'll be racing for DFL :D

you're saying that I have to manage some coordination in pinning a number properly to my jersey...:confused:
Just wait until you are managing a pit bike too.

And you go to drop it off in the pit early enough to go warm up but the USAC official says NOPE so you wonder "how do I warm up and have a pit bike."

Then your team mate accidentally is given your pit bike which is identical to his but with a lower saddle and as you pass him coming out of the pit he immediately says "I'm on your pit bike," then says 2 corners later "I flatted your pit bike," then you find out he didn't flat it, the tires were never inflated and they were just at 15 PSI.

So then you say to yourself "So I have to manage some coordination of maintenance and prep of a second bike???"

Skinsuit? Spray glue all day long.
Jersey? Eh, whatever you like.

Not all spray glue it the same. Get the kind that will bond permanently. Don't stretch the fabric after gluing the number on. This will cause the bond to break and you are left flapping in the breeze. This happens when you take the garment off to use the portal potty. If you care about glue residue left on the jersey, you are doing this all wrong. Your jersey is a billboard. Not a tuxedo. Don't race in Rapha or Assos.

Crumbling numbers is done to keep them from flapping. Properly pin or glue number properly to keep them from flapping. Crumpled numbers are more difficult to read. #5 becomes #6...#4 becomes #9. Then, you are not scored properly. Instead of celebrating a good race with buddies you are stand next to the scoring booth and officials for gours trying to ensure that you are scored correctly. Any headache caused to officials will be multiplied by ten and paid back in full.

Bringing a non-racing spouse to a race and asking them to pin numbers is a surefire way to end your marriage. Even a racing spouse (who understands) will get tired of this practice quickly. When time to pin numbers, they go for long walks and disappear.

This all starts with the concept of the skin suit being more functional for CX because it fits tighter and there's less to get tangled up with the bike when carrying it (what do I know). It would be a bucket load easier if I just went out and bought a jersey, but I already sunk the money, so I'm going to figure this out.

I came across this and it seemed pretty brilliant:

For Wednesday's practice I'm leaving the barriers home and bringing pins.

Thanks for this thread....Now not only do I have to show up to my first cross race completely in over my head, but you're saying that I have to manage some coordination in pinning a number properly to my jersey...:confused:

I think I'm more intimidated by the numbers now than the racing as I know I'll be racing for DFL :D
you should be, if you pin your number like a noob people will already think less of you. looking pro is way more important

Even a racing spouse (who understands) will get tired of this practice quickly.
if this is the case, you need to watch more house wives of new york

Someone needs to surprise everyone with round number plates that come with 4 pins. No boxes of pins on the registration table.

i'm sensing a need in the market for someone at cross races to pin numbers on racers...

i'll start small... $2 pinning pre-ride, $5 after one lap and $20 to "accidentally" pin your competition's tires

i'm sensing a need in the market for someone at cross races to pin numbers on racers...

i'll start small... $2 pinning pre-ride, $5 after one lap and $20 to "accidentally" pin your competition's tires
looks like somebody already beat you to it. (random instagram grab from Nittany)

Back
Top Bottom