Ask an automobile mechanic.

So my friend had a clogged sunroof drain, which caused water to pool in her carpets which led to mold. The dealer said black mold.

She's getting the carpets removed and replaced at the dealer. So I suspect the mold is all over the car. I've read that an ION (or ozone?) machine would help get rid of the mold that's not reachable. Does anyone have any ideas?

She is getting a tool to clean the drains.

BTW it's a lexus SUV.
My Mom just had to do this to her Lexus. $8000 new interior, covered by insurance

Those drain tubes are the reason to buy a car without a sunroof. Too many stories about leaks. Plus my own 1st hand experience. Had a Volvo that was prone to clogging and when it did, water would manage to find its way into rear driver side floor pan. The pros don’t outweigh the potential cons for me, after that.

Those drain tubes are the reason to buy a car without a sunroof. Too many stories about leaks. Plus my own 1st hand experience. Had a Volvo that was prone to clogging and when it did, water would manage to find its way into rear driver side floor pan. The pros don’t outweigh the potential cons for me, after that.
similar to T-tops. never go for the t tops.
it was great fun cutting the roofs out of brand new GM F- and A-bodies tho back in the day. Big turnbuckles between the a- and b-posts to support, expand and contract the car so you can get the t-top frame in there.
And Foxbody Mustangs too. Except they needed new taller side window glass after the all-around window channels were sawzall'd off.

Had a Volvo that was prone to clogging and when it did, water would manage to find its way into rear driver side floor pan. The pros don’t outweigh the potential cons for me, after that.
Same. It caused all kinds of fuckery with the electronics. I never left it open (hardly every used it) but dirt would still works it way in with the car outside all the time.

My wife's BMW feels like it has a notched headset. I know how to fix that on a bike, but not a BMW. Basically there is a notch at dead center so trying to keep the car in a straight line, any minor corrections you have to pass thru the notch and you can feel it get slightly stuck. Any turns beyond going straight feel totally normal. Car only has 44K miles.

Google search only came up with one thread on a BMW forum and they just suggested replacing the steering column, but no follow up to that comment.

Any suggestions before getting raped by the dealer? Not sure if it's something the local mechanic would deal with.

My wife's BMW feels like it has a notched headset. I know how to fix that on a bike, but not a BMW. Basically there is a notch at dead center so trying to keep the car in a straight line, any minor corrections you have to pass thru the notch and you can feel it get slightly stuck. Any turns beyond going straight feel totally normal. Car only has 44K miles.

Google search only came up with one thread on a BMW forum and they just suggested replacing the steering column, but no follow up to that comment.

Any suggestions before getting raped by the dealer? Not sure if it's something the local mechanic would deal with.
On a normal car I'd disconnect the steering column from the rack & pinion and see if it still exhibits to narrow it down to the column vs lower.

But I'd be concerned with that after seeing what happens when you do that on a VW and don't have the computer/software to reset the steering wheel position.

Electric power steering? I would check for codes first. Could be the rack.

Made a cardinal sin to ship tires from Tire Rack to Pep Boys for install. First of all, didn't realize their parts section went out of business and they only do auto services. 8am appointment to wait for install turns into an afternoon pickup after the employees drag in at 8:45. Manager tries to sell me all these other services and gets pissed when I decline them all. Anyone have work done at Pep Boys? Kinda scared now and will definitely check my lug nuts when ready for pickup.

thats an interesting one...which bmw does she have?

thats an interesting one...which bmw does she have?
2017 X3. More googling shows that some people report that it only happens when the car gets hot on long drives, so dealers can never reproduce it. I'll have to check later to see if it's still happening now. This only started yesterday with 150 miles left of a 350 mile trip.

No one ever reports back on the BMW forums as to how anyone corrected this. Between this and the leaking roof and whatever is left to come, she should really trade this thing in as it looks like new and only has 44k miles.

2017 X3. More googling shows that some people report that it only happens when the car gets hot on long drives, so dealers can never reproduce it. I'll have to check later to see if it's still happening now. This only started yesterday with 150 miles left of a 350 mile trip.

No one ever reports back on the BMW forums as to how anyone corrected this. Between this and the leaking roof and whatever is left to come, she should really trade this thing in as it looks like new and only has 44k miles.

Talk to the peeps at Denson Auto Repair in Martinsville. Family business, lots of foreign cars.

thats very low miles and the trade in value is probably still pretty good on that. Worst case get a Carvana quote and then when shopping for something else, use that as leverage the dealer will at least match it because they will want you to come back for other services etc...

Does it have an intermediate steering shaft? Steel shaft with 2 universal joints in between the steering rack and steering column.
I know on some Audi vehicles they seize up causing that same headset bearing notchy feel.

Back
Top Bottom