Anyone running 2Bliss tires?

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I'm stoked for some riding this fall and its about time to replace my Bonty XDX's.

I want to stick with "tubeless ready" tires, just to be safe and there's a few options I like from Specialized:

The Captain S-Works ~$65, XC/Trail
29x2.0 595g
29x2.2 665g

0018-0015_-0030_d.jpg

Purgatory S-Works ~$65, A/M
29x2.2 670g

0010-1030_d.jpg

Purgatory Control ~$50, A/M
29x2.2 675g

(I think the website had the weights mixed up.. they said 675g for the 2.4 wide and 720g for the 2.2 wide. If the 675g is actually for the 2.4 wide and the 2.2's are heavier... i'll go with the 2.4s :cool:)
0019-2030_d.jpg

Thoughts?:hmmm:

Edit: And i know there are a lot of people on mtbr that don't like 2bliss, but primarily due to the rocky terrain. 99% of my riding is Allaire/Clayton. So roots may be an issue... but not really rocks. I may try to get to Hartshorne at least once before winter though...

Last edited:
I've been running a set of Captain Control 29 x 2.2 tubeless without a flat/tear/mishap on my hardtail since March. They have been a great all-around tire choice for me.

I never liked the XDX as I found it lacking side bite over wet rocks and roots. The Captains still hook up well in the wet but when mounted on the front, it throws alot of mud in your face...but at least the tread clears! In the dry, it feels just as fast as the XDX. My buddy has Purgatorys on his Ellsworth and he's happy with them, but they certainly have more rolling resistance and they don't seem to hook up any better over wet roots or rocks than the Captains, but they do clear mud better.

I ride at CR and RV mostly, so I went with the heavier, thicker Control casing. I tore up an XDX and a Jones ACX in a few months each. The Captains are six months old and still going strong. And I am using Caffe Latex, not Stans.

I've found some positive reviews (twentynineinches.com) of the Control casing versus the negative reviews of the S-Works tires. So, choose carefully.

The first choice seems to to have a nice round not too aggressive profile which should work well at Allaire, Clayton and Heartshorne. I always seem to lean towards the more rounded profile so the bike always feels the same as you lean it in the corners. The more aggressive side knob treads are great when it's loamy and you want to stick the corner hard but once you go past the edge your drifting.

I have torn 6 captain tires this year alone, and two spec. fast tracks. All run tubeless. I had a stack of them that were given to me for free. Worst tires I have ever used as far as durability. Traction and speed are good though for the captain.

I have torn 6 captain tires this year alone, and two spec. fast tracks. All run tubeless. I had a stack of them that were given to me for free. Worst tires I have ever used as far as durability. Traction and speed are good though for the captain.

Utah...were they the Control casing?

Funny, I have them on three bikes and only tore one resolution (which they don't make anymore). That was at Sourlands, where everything rips. Never had a problem with any of the Specialized tires set up tubeless.

The S-Works casings are supposed to be stronger than the Control casings right?

Ideally, i was thinking of running the 2.0 Captain S-Works up front and the 2.2 Captain S-Works in the rear...

Captain control 2.2's, s-works version. Certainly not just me. Martys is a specialized shop and I cant think of about 6 people of the top of my head who bought new spec bikes that came with these tires. (and the fast tracks that are 10 times worse) They were failing so badly that the shop was giving people free replacements. Moreso on the fast-tracks since the sidewalls would fall apart in a matter of weeks. The 6 I got this year were ones people gave me because they didnt want to deal with them ripping. I have ripped and thrown away all 6 since jan.

sk1er18, my suggestion.....Look into a set of maxxis aspens. Lighter, as good if not better traction, and far tougher. My set has lasted me since the tymor race in may and I have put a ton of miles on them. Geax sagaros or pythons are also better options, imo.

The S-Works casings are supposed to be stronger than the Control casings right?

Ideally, i was thinking of running the 2.0 Captain S-Works up front and the 2.2 Captain S-Works in the rear...

No. The Control casings are stronger, the S-Works are just lighter. Fyi, most people would run the larger tire in the front.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Are those maxxis and geax tires tubeless ready? I'm really just looking for a good tire that's going to give me better traction than my XDX's, hopefully be somewhat lighter weight (current ones are advertised as 710g) but still hold up aright on the trails, especially when setup tubeless

If I only ran Allaire/Clayton/Hartshorne...I think I'd go Captain Control casing 2.0 front and rear. Not sure you need 2.2 at those trails, so save some weight that way.

Also, Bontrager is releasing the 29-2 in late September which is supposed to be the replacement for the XDX. They are shown in some of the stock photos on the Trek website (the Superfly 100 has them pictured). No weights listed yet, but since the more aggressive 29-3 weighs 730g, I gotta imagine the 29-2 would be a little less.

Are those maxxis and geax tires tubeless ready? I'm really just looking for a good tire that's going to give me better traction than my XDX's, hopefully be somewhat lighter weight (current ones are advertised as 710g) but still hold up aright on the trails, especially when setup tubeless

I know they make heavier tubeless versions, but I run the regular kevlar bead ignitors. No problems. Same with the saguros. I have the lightest versions they make. Ran all of the h2h series last year, plus 3 other races, plus all of the other regular riding I did on 1 set of saguros. Finally ripped the front this spring, the back is still in use though.

i actually really like the ignitors and was thinking about running them..... looks like they'll have the traction im looking for, they're about 85g lighter per tire so id drop 1/3lb right there, and they're very affordable.

i was just hesitant to run non tubeless ready tires because it seems like its hit or miss with people having issues.... ill be using stans sealant regardless of what tires i run, so maybe ill give them a shot....

Funny, I have them on three bikes and only tore one resolution (which they don't make anymore). That was at Sourlands, where everything rips. Never had a problem with any of the Specialized tires set up tubeless.

You gave me that tire and it still is holding air and it goes to Sourlands often. So I can vouch that they do hold up.

I switched to Geax Sagauro TNT (Tube No Tubes- so yes tubeless ready) about a week ago. I have ridden Allaire and Clayton so far and as this is my first time tubeless I am still experimenting with the pressures. Its a totally different tire then the Bonty Jones truck tires I was running. These are super fast compared to them. I cant say much yet because at 38 and 32 lbs it was night and day, so Im still trying to find the sweet spot. At 32lbs, my 220lb ass was all over the place and the sand was killing me. Now with the rain Im sure it will be a lot better, so I still cant really review the tire because the conditions keep changing. I did tons of reasearch and they got great reviews for the most part. They are really hard to find right now, thats the only problem. No one local had them. I had to go mail order.

I rode with Geax Barro TNT 2.3 all of last year. They are light and fast and hold pretty good grip even on wet rocks and roots. Sidewalls are durable and never had a problem with them on Mavic 819 rims.

The Barros are faster to slide on hard corners than other tires I had but the slide is predictable and recoverable. Sidewalls are reinforced but I had to inflate them higher than the MK UST to keep the tire from pinching into the rim. Overall a terrific tire when conditions are loamy to dry, especially on the trails I ride (Waway, JH, RW, Blue, etc)

2.3 escar tubeless control up front and 2.2 purg tubeless control in rear. Many sourlands rides and not one flat.

I run Eskar 2Bliss front and back. I have had bad luck on tubless with the stock 420SL Dt-Swiss and I am trying to troubleshoot them at this point.

With the tubes installed, the Eskar is much better for mountain terrain as well as regular hardpack. Even tho the Captains are stupid fast rolling and great on tracks like 6-Mile and RuEP, they suffered at Round valley and Chimney rock. I like my Eskar 2Bliss, 2.3" and grippy.

Probably I will get the best use out of these 2Bliss tires when I overcome the sealing issues.

Back
Top Bottom