Anyone buy a Canyon yet?

YouRang87

curious if anyone has bought a Canyon yet since they started selling in the US recently? Thoughts? Complaints? SHOW OFF YOUR CANYON BIKE!!! I'm interested in one. Hard to beat value/price.

i went to go take a look at them just because i was curious what they were offering; strange they do not have a full suspension XC bike...

@StayHydrated rode a CX bike from Neutral Support at Nittany.... thoughts?

i went to go take a look at them just because i was curious what they were offering; strange they do not have a full suspension XC bike...
I noticed that too. The seem to be releasing models slowly. I bet they release the Lux here soon. When the US site first went live, there were no FS bikes at all.
Lux UK

I had the impression they were mostly sold online. Are there any shops that sell Canyon?

The bikes look good (especially the DH bike), but I don’t think I’d personally ever buy one for the following reasons:

‒ They look good, but it’s another Horst-Link bike in a sea of Horst-Link bikes, what makes them any better than Rocky, Norco, Spec, Transition, etc. aside from price? And when was the last time any of you guys paid full retail for a bike anyway?

‒ When the frame breaks, how long is it gonna take for me to get a replacement rear/front triangle?

I saw a Rapha bro in the Palisades on Sunday on a blacked out Aeroad disc. I asked him how he liked it and he said he loved it - couldn't pass it up for the price. It looked like it was a sponsor bike so I'm sure he was talking nice about it regardless.

@StayHydrated rode a CX bike from Neutral Support at Nittany.... thoughts?

I noticed that too. The seem to be releasing models slowly. I bet they release the Lux here soon. When the US site first went live, there were no FS bikes at all.
Lux UK
My unprofessional opinion says that it got the job done. Ride quality seemed good, but my ass is uncalibrated and Nittany isn't exactly technical. Could equally be attributed to the sweet wheels they had on it. Was easy to dismount/remount/suitcase. Felt really stable and solid under braking and accelerating, but I don't go fast or make lots of power. Two corners that I really dove it into, it stuck and felt great, but didn't test it too hard otherwise.

Was super thrown off by the goofy seat tube/seat stay/top tube junction that looks like someone took an Isospeed decoupler, scaled it up by 25x, and actually made it a part of the carbon frame. I'd love to see the FEM outputs that the engineer used to claim that it "would be good for compliance" just so that they could make a funky looking bike.

looking at the prices - i don't know why you wouldn't look at a specialized at a local shop. get the service, support the local shop, and have a bike that may come out at a lower price point than what is listed... just my $0.02.

Please don't tell me specialized the brand. Any trek, giant or cannondale is a better value to cost. Specialized makes you think it's better but it ain't just some cult thing. Pay an extra couple hundred for nada. I'd ride a huffy before that crap brand. Sorry clarkstien not trying to call you out just hate that brand with passion, they think their Colnago. Bike shops I get but any good bike shop would love to charge me for a good fit, and sell me a stem or better saddle. Any bike shop that don't want that well they suck. It's not worth paying a lot of extra loot for a 5 minute ride through a parking lot and have some 16 year old put it together for 8 bucks an hour. LBSs need to adapt to this type of business model or hope boost sizing saves them

Sorry clarkinstein, I really wasent trying to call you out, I was on the rude side. I just get worked up with the whole support your LBS. I think most do, i get angry with this like guilt portrayed if you don't buy the bike there. I think a good LBS should work on any bike, and main goal is to build lasting relationships with riders and trust. Cause those riders will have faith in repairs and sizing yada yada. Like I said any LBS that would shun an online bike is just utter shit.

Please don't tell me specialized the brand. Any trek, giant or cannondale is a better value to cost. Specialized makes you think it's better but it ain't just some cult thing. Pay an extra couple hundred for nada. I'd ride a huffy before that crap brand. Sorry clarkstien not trying to call you out just hate that brand with passion, they think their Colnago. Bike shops I get but any good bike shop would love to charge me for a good fit, and sell me a stem or better saddle. Any bike shop that don't want that well they suck. It's not worth paying a lot of extra loot for a 5 minute ride through a parking lot and have some 16 year old put it together for 8 bucks an hour. LBSs need to adapt to this type of business model or hope boost sizing saves them

they are adapting - they will install parts that you bring in - then when there is a problem, they will be glad to charge to uninstall them, then install the new one.
or charge when they break something down for a repair/upgrade, but the customer forgot the .2mm spacer required. They be glad to install that great deal, even if it was the prior version.
customer is always right. right?

there are things i do, there are things i pay for. I spread my $$ over 3 shops, because of the way the individuals working there have helped me over the last 7 years.

ya also got to understand your position in the veloverse (yes, that makes us velosiens). Most people just want to get on a bike on the weekend, and ride a bit for health, or with their kid, or they are a kid.
You are into it, and thus part of the tail of the curve.

online sales has a price point that outweighs the initial benefit of buying in a shop. it does not outweigh the lifetime benefit. (1990 economics class)

i hate on specialized too. but hey, price elasticity/differentiation - if you can charge it, you should!

Sorry clarkinstein, I really wasent trying to call you out, I was on the rude side. I just get worked up with the whole support your LBS. I think most do, i get angry with this like guilt portrayed if you don't buy the bike there. I think a good LBS should work on any bike, and main goal is to build lasting relationships with riders and trust. Cause those riders will have faith in repairs and sizing yada yada. Like I said any LBS that would shun an online bike is just utter shit.

i've been going to the same LBS for years, aside from a couple trips to another local one because i want to spread it around, and usually not often enough because i treat my bikes like dirt. there isn't a 16 year old kid putting my bike together. they absolutely know what they are doing and do it 100x better than i can... and faster. i was in a major pinch before riding a century a few years ago. had all kinds off issues going on with my bike. bikengear turned it around during this time of year - when they are REALLY busy - in a couple hours. and it was an online bought bike. i rode the century and never once had to think about my bike.

they also got my 1980s mongoose back up and running recently. and have you ever tried to get a gyro to work? especially when its so gummed up you're thinking it'll never move again? they have it working perfect so my kid can ride it now.

if you don't support the local shops, what are you gonna do if you need a bike fix before a big ride, or don't want to wait for parts to get mailed? if you don't support them... they won't be there. i'm not telling anyone what to do with their money. i'm not saying i'm willing to spend more in one spot just to "support" someone. i'm not. but they will work with you more likely than not. and get you on the right bike, or fix it before your next ride when you are staring at some tools and parts and it just isn't working right. whether its a specialized (or in your world, a huffy) or a giant, cannondale, or any of the other store bought bikes.

:)Yo I agree with both of you a lot fiodie and clark. I make a trip and pay poo poo prices for tubes when I can't wait for online. Damn I'll admit my first carbon bike with a compression plug baffled me compared to a star. Took it to the LBS and they put it all together cleaning up my mess and invited me back to learn as they did it. Unfortunately they are out of business. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Lol. Branding aside I love to support LBS and I do when needed and financially can or worth it. YOOOO gyros blew my mind when I was 7 and still do. Sweet you got it going for him. Don't make me buy a Canyon just so I can be the first on the forum with a Canyon just so I can post it.

Oh, yeah, you should def n+1.

if not just to be first, and report back!!

The bikes look good (especially the DH bike), but I don’t think I’d personally ever buy one for the following reasons:

‒ They look good, but it’s another Horst-Link bike in a sea of Horst-Link bikes, what makes them any better than Rocky, Norco, Spec, Transition, etc. aside from price? And when was the last time any of you guys paid full retail for a bike anyway?

‒ When the frame breaks, how long is it gonna take for me to get a replacement rear/front triangle?

Not having to pay sales tax to NJ is worth it even if the bike was more

A friend of mine bought one a couple years ago in Europe and brought it back home. Unfortunately the uber cool flew out the window the second they became available here.

:)Yo I agree with both of you a lot fiodie and clark. I make a trip and pay poo poo prices for tubes when I can't wait for online. Damn I'll admit my first carbon bike with a compression plug baffled me compared to a star. Took it to the LBS and they put it all together cleaning up my mess and invited me back to learn as they did it. Unfortunately they are out of business. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Lol. Branding aside I love to support LBS and I do when needed and financially can or worth it. YOOOO gyros blew my mind when I was 7 and still do. Sweet you got it going for him. Don't make me buy a Canyon just so I can be the first on the forum with a Canyon just so I can post it.

Your LBS sucks, you need to find a new one. My LBS in North Jersey is pretty awesome. I haven't bought a bike from them (aside from kids bikes) in over 15 years, because I'm brand loyal to a specific small brand that they don't sell. Every time I go for a repair (other than suspension service), they usually do it right there while I wait, their mechanics are top notch. They will also try to match internet prices on components also. Most LBS's worth their salt put their customers first.

The problem with direct sales is spotty warranty handling . I picked up a commencal because the price per spec blew everything else out of the water . Ordered online had a new bike in a week . Rear shock blew out initiated a claim and got an immediate response so I thought ok shouldnt be a problem . 8 months of sorry was really busy I'll get to it right away and finally it was replaced.

Back
Top Bottom