Another rear derail prob...

YouRang87

Road bike, shimano 105 10 speed. Both limit screws plus B screw look set up correctly. Shifts good both directions, both chain rings. PROBLEM- when I'm in the larger 4 gears "physical size" in board I am hearing an odd clicking and clacking. Under further review I am observing the chain coming off the jockey wheel and meeting the cassette or gears a tad outboard for that gear. It's not meeting the cassette even, it's meeting it a hair towards the smaller gears "physical size". Being the idiot I am I let up some tension and this seemed to help a little without sacrafising the other end of the spectrum. Any opinions or thoughts? I do not cross chain, and it's more pronounced when standing and climbing. Any ideas would be great to point be in the right direction. Start over? Tension? Limit screws. OH BY the way the jockey wheel is dead on even with this gears in question. Thanks

If it is leaning outboard, I would guess you would want to increase the tension slightly.

I agree that this does sound like a cable tension issue. No magic. Adjust barrel one way. If it doesn't get better, go the other way.

If it won't adjust - start over. Shift to highest (smallest) gear and set barrel adjuster in middle of adjustment range. Basically, your shifter has released all tension to drop to this gear. So, you want a make the cable taught in this gear as the starting point. Then fine tune with barrel adjuster.

You could possibly have some worn gears on your cassette if you can't get it to work.

Another thing to look at is the whether the cage is bent. Sometimes that can effect shifting more in certain gears.

I would put the bike in one of the problem gears and stand the bike level or put it in a stand if you have one and take a few steps back and see if the cage is straight up and down, as huffster mentioned it could be the cage is slightly bent and when they are they tend to be a lot more noticeable and louder when in the larger rings in the back

The park tool is great but if you don't have one using the method I mentioned above , you will still be able to notice if something is not straight. If something isn't straight that tool is the way to go so you can make sure everything is aligned

I'm such an idiot. I figured it out. I didn't set my shifter to the hardest gear before anchoring the cable bolt when running new cables. Man I'm stupid. Sorry and thanks.

Back
Top Bottom