Am I missing something?? (29er stuff)

lou_b_83

I have been looking at 29er Hardtails for about 1 month now. I keep ending up at the Motobecane Fantom 29PRO SL. It runs on-line for just under $1000. For me to get close to this with a main stream brand the price gets up around$2000. The best I can do is a Jamis Exile II that is MSRP at $1500. So what am I missing. Is Motobecane hiding something? there is a 10 year warranty in the frame. Help please. I want to pull the trigger but I am hesitant.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL.htm

Lou, you are going to open up a poop-storm talking about Motobecanes from Bike Direct! But, I was in the same boat and ended up going with a Gary Fisher 29er from my LBS. Here was my thought process:

The Motobecane is a decent parts build, actually. Other than the 11-32T cassette, which is a little tall for a beginner, it's a pretty good build. The wheelset is just okay, but no worse than the Jamis (or most at this price point). I doubt the Small Block Eights would last long around here in the rocks and mud, but that's not a huge expense.

My biggest issue was the geometry of the frame: the standover is a whopping 2+ inches taller than my Gary Fisher frame (and the Jamis frame you are looking at). That made a huge difference to me in having a comfortable clearance over the top tube in technical terrian. Quite frankly, the Stumpjumper HT 29er is the same way...just a little to tall for me to feel comfortable. If you have exceptionally tall legs for your height, you'd probably be okay. If not, frame fit is a deal-breaker.

The Jamis is a nice bike for the money. The wheelset probably won't last if you are rough on your bike or a heavyweight. The brakeset is supposedly improved over older Shimano hydros, but I don't have any experience with them. Probably the two best reasons to buy the Jamis: you won't see many people on them and they are a NJ-based company.

Also check out the Gary Fisher X-Caliber. $1589 retail and definitely on par with the Jamis. SRAM instead of Shimano, Fox instead of Reba, both of which are personal preferences, but definitely a better wheelset (and tubeless ready).

and to add my 2 cents as I look at it if you buy online and something breaks on the bike you need to try and send it back to the manufacturer which can be painful.

I was looking at the X-Caliber also. Very sexy bike. It might be a bight to much for me to spend though. I will have to go swing my leg over one.:hmmm: Thanks. I have to find an Exile to sit on also. I am not in a rush to buy. I am being very careful this time. I want to hold on to this bike for some time. I love my Kona Coiler. Now I want a HT 29er to run around with and love.

I know I saw a leftover 09 X-Cal somewhere recently. I wanna say it was $1299, but I don't remember the shop or the size...but take a look around at least.

I purchased my Paragon at Bike King in Clinton, NJ for $1700. At the time, he was selling the X-Cals for $1500. That was September, so maybe his winter prices are a little lower.

If you can't swing that, grab a Cobia for $1000. The Cobia still gives you an air-sprung (Tora) fork, a solid tubeless-ready wheelset, and the same great frame. Biggest downside to the Cobia is the BB5 mech discs. It's probably about two pounds heavier than the X-Cal.

Last edited:
if I wanted a good 29er HT, just to check the whole thing out, I'd spend the $700 they are asking for the Specialized hardrock disc. The heart of any bicycle is its frame. The mbk might have a nicer parts spec but the hardrock is all the bike most of us would ever need, and the frame would certainly be worth upgrading as parts wore out over time.

Didn't Jdog mention a few sub $1K Scott 29ers for 2010?

Last edited:
I've been thinking of getting rid of my Paragon. I rode it once since early last summer now it just collects dust.

I am looking for any info you guys want to dish out for 29er HT. I am at the point that I want to start touching bikes and ride around the parking lots. I just am looking to try and weed out the crap. Keep it coming.

Know a couple very fast guys on motos that said they broke them too but we are talking serious race and trashing. Both have been replaced no problems. They also have fishers and both have broke them to and replaced. Motos come with real parts and are hard to beat, if you have no prob working on your own then do it otherwise go to a good shop. Soul cycles sells a nice frame for under 4bills also.

I'm tag teaming this thread with Walter... Check out Giant they seem to have things dialed in pretty well for a company new/late to the 29er thing...

maybe ask norm to sell one of his six? :D

i'm with the majority here since i see folks that love them and folks that despise them: if you can work it yourself, go for it. if not, buy yourself some peace of mind and talk to an LBS.

i always advocate the LBS route simply b/c the customer service you get will pay for any online saving within six months.

I have Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO. If you depend on bike shop to fix things for you then this not a good choice. Frame is strong. I actually broke Jet9 last year but this one just goes and I used to ride it very hard in Ringwood. I even raced on it in Jungle and Ringwood while waiting for frame replacement from Niner.

I just can't understand why so many keep trashing bikesdirect...

If you are looking for a budget 29er buy used. A 29er single speed has very little to go wrong and can be found for a steal. I got a redline monocog for $250 off Craigslist, sold my Mary for a little over $500. Deals can be found don't worry about warranty, get more bang for the buck.

I have Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO. If you depend on bike shop to fix things for you then this not a good choice. Frame is strong. I actually broke Jet9 last year but this one just goes and I used to ride it very hard in Ringwood. I even raced on it in Jungle and Ringwood while waiting for frame replacement from Niner.

I just can't understand why so many keep trashing bikesdirect...

Any reason why someone couldn't take a Motobecane bike to a LBS for fixes? Obviously if the frame gets damaged, you'd have to send it back to BikesDirect, but for anything else, a LBS should be fine, no?

So after a lot of time last night. I have it down to this.

Fisher X-Caliber
http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/x-caliber

Jamis Exile II
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/hardtails/exile/10_exile2.html

Motobecane 29er Pro SL
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL.htm

Sorry Giant Guys but it is not the bike for me.

This is my take on everything. As far as looks go the Fisher wins hands down for me. The Jamis is nice looking to and specs about the same as the Fisher for a little less $$$. Then you got the Motobecane. It is not the best looking thing BUT the parts are better and the price is lower. I am a guy that does not buy for a name so all that aside the Moto keeps coming back to me. BUT I really like the Fisher's Looks. I can also get on the Fisher and the Jamis to try the fit. Come on guys help me out some more.

Anyone see a deal at a LBS? You can PM me if you don't want to name drop. I will have cash in my hand tonight.

Any reason why someone couldn't take a Motobecane bike to a LBS for fixes? Obviously if the frame gets damaged, you'd have to send it back to BikesDirect, but for anything else, a LBS should be fine, no?

Yes. Any bike shop will work on your bike. BUT if you buy a bike at that shop some of them give you free service for a year. I would say learn to work on your own stuff though. This way you know it is right every time.

Back
Top Bottom