Alt Bars - Swept Bars

Gnick

Does anyone have experience with bars that have a greater backsweep? I'm using a 740mm bar with 9 degree backsweep right now and right wrist is in pain the whole time I'm riding. I've tried riser bars, different grips, setting up the cockpit differently etc. My old bike had much shorter bars(640mm) and didn't have any issues, but i love the control I have with the longer bars. I'm looking at things like the Salsa Bend 2 which is a little short (17 degree backsweep), and the 3T extendo (12 degree backsweep). I'd rather not go to something as extreme as an On-One mary bar.

suggestions?

I have Answer 20/20 bars on two bikes and original Jone's H-Bars on another. I think they work great.

Art loves the answer 20/20. I tried them b/c of neck issues, and did not like them. For my long arms, they brought my elbows down. I need to get my arms up and out in front of me. It is a very personal thing.

Art loves the answer 20/20. I tried them b/c of neck issues, and did not like them. For my long arms, they brought my elbows down. I need to get my arms up and out in front of me. It is a very personal thing.
yea..if i got with the steeper sweep i might have to get a new stem too. The wrist pain is really getting to me so i have to do something though. More than likely i'll figure out this issue just to find I've got another one!

I had numbness in my hands when I first started riding. Found out a lot of it was related to posture and fit.
Here's some tips from Livestrong if you haven't considered posture or fit yet.
If all else fails try a pro bike fit at a shop, nothing worse than not riding cause your bike doesn't feel right

Improper Posture

If you have poor upper body posture, you can experience wrist pain from your mountain bike handlebars. Make sure you're not trying to support your body with your wrists and hands on the handlebars. If you find you're putting significant pressure on your wrists, roll your shoulders back and bend your elbows slightly, which will provide you with a better ability to absorb shocks. In addition, try tilting your bike's saddle back a small amount, since if you've positioned the saddle too far forward, you'll tend to slide forward and place too much weight on your wrists.

Improper Fit

If your wrist pain continues even though you've made adjustments to your posture, you may have a mountain bike that doesn't fit you properly. To find out, measure the distance between the forward tip of your saddle and the center of the handlebars. That distance should equal the distance between the end of your middle finger and the outside corner of your elbow. If it's too long, you're probably overreaching and may be putting excess pressure on your wrists, while if it's too short you may be placing your wrists in an awkward position. See a professional bike adjuster if necessary to get it right.

Agree with the posture. I had pain in my wrists once and it was due to the brake levers being too horizontal and causing bending too far with the wrist. Make sure those are pointed downward, and shifters possibly too.

Does anyone have experience with bars that have a greater backsweep? I'm using a 740mm bar with 9 degree backsweep right now and right wrist is in pain the whole time I'm riding. I've tried riser bars, different grips, setting up the cockpit differently etc. My old bike had much shorter bars(640mm) and didn't have any issues, but i love the control I have with the longer bars. I'm looking at things like the Salsa Bend 2 which is a little short (17 degree backsweep), and the 3T extendo (12 degree backsweep). I'd rather not go to something as extreme as an On-One mary bar.

suggestions?
Not cheap, but you can get titanium handlebars with a lot of backsweep (e.g., 30 degrees) from TiCycles.com. I also have a carbon 25 degree backsweep bar from Origin8, but, unfortunately, it looks like it's been discontinued. It's possible that someone may be selling one on Ebay.

I had numbness in my hands when I first started riding. Found out a lot of it was related to posture and fit.
Here's some tips from Livestrong if you haven't considered posture or fit yet.
If all else fails try a pro bike fit at a shop, nothing worse than not riding cause your bike doesn't feel right

Improper Posture

If you have poor upper body posture, you can experience wrist pain from your mountain bike handlebars. Make sure you're not trying to support your body with your wrists and hands on the handlebars. If you find you're putting significant pressure on your wrists, roll your shoulders back and bend your elbows slightly, which will provide you with a better ability to absorb shocks. In addition, try tilting your bike's saddle back a small amount, since if you've positioned the saddle too far forward, you'll tend to slide forward and place too much weight on your wrists.

Improper Fit

If your wrist pain continues even though you've made adjustments to your posture, you may have a mountain bike that doesn't fit you properly. To find out, measure the distance between the forward tip of your saddle and the center of the handlebars. That distance should equal the distance between the end of your middle finger and the outside corner of your elbow. If it's too long, you're probably overreaching and may be putting excess pressure on your wrists, while if it's too short you may be placing your wrists in an awkward position. See a professional bike adjuster if necessary to get it right.
Agree with the posture. I had pain in my wrists once and it was due to the brake levers being too horizontal and causing bending too far with the wrist. Make sure those are pointed downward, and shifters possibly too.

thanks guys - i was fit at my LBS, pay close attention to my brake pull, and am not really putting much pressure on the bars when riding. light hands heavy feet remember. I ordered a bar with 12 degree sweep, ill give that a shot and see if it helps at all. Amazon free return shipping if it doesnt work out. If that doesnt work I'll try a 17 degree bar.

from what i'm reading this is pretty common when people move to wider bars - if i cant make it work with a wider bar I'll probably just have to cut my bar down 10mm at a time until i find something thats comfortable. I just love the control of the longer bar though and wanted to get into the 760 range.

in the mean time ill do some bottoms up KB presses for wrist strength as well.

Alt bars may not necessarily be the answer to the pain. You should test them and see if there is an improvement. As others have noted, positioning and fit may also be part of the issue.

I like the angle that the bars put my hands in, but Ben noted that they are not conducive to the proper elbows out position he was teach us in the intermediate class.

Alt bars may not necessarily be the answer to the pain. You should test them and see if there is an improvement. As others have noted, positioning and fit may also be part of the issue.

I like the angle that the bars put my hands in, but Ben noted that they are not conducive to the proper elbows out position he was teach us in the intermediate class.
Yea i remember that comment. Which bar do you have?

i was working on bar positioning today and changing forward and back tilt. I'll continue to mess with it, but im pretty convinced that my wrists just dont like a wide flat bar. i really dont ride heavy handed. I ordered a bar with 12 degree sweep which is 3 degrees more than my current. ill give it a shot this weekend.

Yea i remember that comment. Which bar do you have?

i was working on bar positioning today and changing forward and back tilt. I'll continue to mess with it, but im pretty convinced that my wrists just dont like a wide flat bar. i really dont ride heavy handed. I ordered a bar with 12 degree sweep which is 3 degrees more than my current. ill give it a shot this weekend.

I have the Answer Protaper 20/20.

Back
Top Bottom