Allamuchy

Finally...

Finally there is some semblance of truth here…that the trails so often sited as being developed and created by Motos have in fact been created by logging, mining and farming! Took long enough. BTW, there are trails that have been created and approved of by the DEP by the bike and hiker communities in Allamuchy. Which brings up another good point, the DEP approves of the work that JORBA is doing in the Park (which is ultimately, what is best for the biking community to ensure continued access to our Parks).

Regarding the 24 hr course and the trails used, there are parameters that go into putting the course together. You cannot always use the “best” trails for a course, and that is not taking into consideration personal views of what is best. Things like course distance, aid station location, and access in case of an emergency these are a few of the things that need to be kept I mind and dealt with. Like most of the community, I can understand how you can overlook this.

Regarding the issues with the course from last year, it was not a matter of the wrong trails being used or the trails not being “good trail for the event”. It was a matter of the amount of rain that came down in a short period of time (this being supported by the impact that was seen). Funny how no one has commented on the post race TM that was done last year and how the trail looked shortly after the race, in the fall of last year, and this year. The trails are in the same condition as before the race. As a matter of fact several miles of the trail used last year were again in the race this year, and they are still nice single track. Or for those that prefer fire roads to “six inch wide singletrack” those are fine as well.

Also thanks for the history lesson. Also, I do not recall anyone trying to re-write any history.

Sorry all for the dethread..

Anything even resembling singletrack unless its only a couple yrs old is full moto creation, so ya might wanna lay off yer soapbox there little fella.Anyway I saw that Nelson was a little miffed at me and i thought he deserved a response, but I'm honored that you're still out there watchin me Bobby.Dun..........................

The year..

Great weather, seems like awhile. I didn't know that smooth of a loop was to be found in Allamuchy, fun stuff.

Lots of results for friends too, 1st corporate for the Marty's crew, 2nd corp. for the Jorba folks, Joe G 3rd in 40-44, Kevin M 3rd in 45-49. I saw Lenny, Brian, Beth. Kris and Mat 1st two person two men. And more. (Did I mention 10 laps for the Tandem.... awesome!)

I did the pre thing on fri, did my own on sat from tranquillity and saw the tired faces (but smiling) on sunday.

Nice work, nice weather, nice course.

Till next year.

Last edited:
Great course and a memorable ride

Many thanks to Bob and Karen for the course and the hook up, much appreciated. Also thanks to the Jorba folks for making me feel welcome and the cowbells!

First time for me solo, and I did the turtle thing - slow and steady throughout the night. 2 flats, 1 broken wheel and 1 broken saddle later, I managed 8 laps which (surprisingly) was good 'nuff for 1st in solo 50+...finally an advantage to being old :)

A huge thanks for Bob and Karen for an amazing course. Also a big thanks for the cowbells, disco ball and everyone who was out cheering.

I really have no idea how I kept riding. It seemed that the more I rode, the better I felt and more I wanted to ride. Eventually I didn't want to ride uphill anymore but still got through it. I did three laps last year so my goal for this year was four or five. When I was on my fourth lap I saw Jenny Boots and she told me I was in third. Once I knew I could possible end up on the podium I didn't want to let it go. I finished with eight laps in second place. I can't believe that third place was only a minute behind me. A 24 hour race decided by only a minute is crazy. It was an awesome weekend that I don't think I'll ever forget.

who was the dude riding the full rigid singlespeed with the barracuda tattoo on his leg..that guy was hardcore, i was talking to him a little on the trail on sunday

who was the dude riding the full rigid singlespeed with the barracuda tattoo on his leg..that guy was hardcore, i was talking to him a little on the trail on sunday
Speaking of interesting people and bikes, I saw not one but two Klein's on the trail, with that big top tube thingy and no downtube - anyone want to claim ownership?

Also an amazing thing (to me at least). The Tandem did 10 laps - not so surprising when you find out it was Rob Lichtenwalner and a woman I assume to be his wife. I didn't know it was them until Sunday, and Saturday night I had just cranked up the last climb before that run down to the lake, passing them on the way up and they yelled out a kudo for my effort. I slowed at the top and took a drink then cranked it up and bombed down the hill, shortly noticing more lights behind me. Thinking it was one of the elite guys on a 4 person team I slowed a little and tried to pick an outside line to allow them to pass and Rob Lichtenwalner calls out "don't pull over, it's just us on the tandem and you'll only crank past us again on the next hill - we only go fast downhill". WTF I think - here I am at my max dh velocity at night and the tandem is riding my ass! That certainly takes some attachments.

Speaking of interesting people and bikes, I saw not one but two Klein's on the trail, with that big top tube thingy and no downtube - anyone want to claim ownership?

I believe that's the Klein Mantra where I think the BB is part of the rear triangle. That's old school going back to the late '90s to early 2000 I believe. I saw them also and was amazed to still see them around. Don't know who they belong to though.

A huge thanks for Bob and Karen for an amazing course. Also a big thanks for the cowbells, disco ball and everyone who was out cheering.

I really have no idea how I kept riding. It seemed that the more I rode, the better I felt and more I wanted to ride. Eventually I didn't want to ride uphill anymore but still got through it. I did three laps last year so my goal for this year was four or five. When I was on my fourth lap I saw Jenny Boots and she told me I was in third. Once I knew I could possible end up on the podium I didn't want to let it go. I finished with eight laps in second place. I can't believe that third place was only a minute behind me. A 24 hour race decided by only a minute is crazy. It was an awesome weekend that I don't think I'll ever forget.

That is amazing Eileen!! 3 laps to 8 ....what an improvement! and then by one minute for 2nd place. Great race for you!

I believe that's the Klein Mantra where I think the BB is part of the rear triangle. That's old school going back to the late '90s to early 2000 I believe. I saw them also and was amazed to still see them around. Don't know who they belong to though.

Those are Klein mantra races ( I still have mine but the bearings are roached) I had ridden "The Mooch" on it twice, and on the trails we were on, with the folks I rode with, the bike was outmatched. On that race course, it may have been golden.

If it was a 29er SS with a carbon fork, it may have been Bren,(13 laps!)

Many thanks to Bob and Karen for the course and the hook up, much appreciated. Also thanks to the Jorba folks for making me feel welcome and the cowbells!

First time for me solo, and I did the turtle thing - slow and steady throughout the night. 2 flats, 1 broken wheel and 1 broken saddle later, I managed 8 laps which (surprisingly) was good 'nuff for 1st in solo 50+...finally an advantage to being old :)

Great job Dan! I did 2 laps with the corporate team and felt it until Tues. Hope to see you next time.

Birds Eye

This is what the race looked like. What fun it was to.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6608436

Actually THIS is what the race course looked like - climb climb climb ;)
3D-03.jpg

15th annual 24 hours of Allamuchy Recap Emrah Ayhan

The best solo overall was a 30-39 guy, with 17 laps i think...results are up have to go check.

Finally I got the first place this year..
I would like to start by extending my thanks to Bob & Karen Workman for their work to get a smart course trail. The course was wonderful, fast and technical. I had fun in the course. 24 hour races turn out to be overwhelming with continuous turns, but this one I just got dizzy :). The first couple laps after hitting the mile mark 2, I was feeling relief, because I was familiar with the rest of the trail riding all year. But again, after mile mark 7.5, I felt again frustrated because I did not know that section being in the Boys Scout restricted area...Excuse...But overall I really enjoyed riding in the course.
My wife helped me in my pit stops. She was wonderful, fast and not panicked at all. Calm and relaxing, and helped me relax for a few minutes. My kids were trying to clean my glasses and face during my sit time. So overall their existence was a big plus for me. Frankly, I enjoyed showing off to them, hehe. They like me doing a good job there. I love them so moocho.
Keith and I we camped next to each other in 3B, great place for pit stop. Sick dude rode a single speed bike for freaking 13 laps with an explosive first lap.
My strategy was to keep it quite and make my move during nite ride, so I took 15 min breaks controlling Mike Carter not to get too much out of control. That happened. He slowed down in the nite and I put a lap on him around 1800. But that dude is fast, he does not get tired. So I was kind of relaxed after that point, still Idid not want to let it go. So I kept biking at an average pace. My lap times were still 1 hour 15 minutes. Before the race I was thinking around 18 laps. But pacing according to the racers slowed me down a little. My last lap was test lap to see how much I could push at the end in case of high pressure. I pulled my last lap in 1 hour which was as fast as my first lap. I kept scanning in and out continuously and took my idle time after scanning out. My lap times include idle times.
My stomach was good at the beginning. I ate nuts, dried grapes, M&M's , bagels, chicken soup and some gel when I felt the need. I try to stay away from that crap, but you cannot do without it. But after the evening hours my stomach was a mess. Eating the dust made so nauseous.
Around 1900 on Sunday morning, I saw big bear quarter of a mile before 6 mile mark which was at Ice Cream. I don’t know I woke him up or what but he was surprised seeing me there, considering all the racers all nite long. I don’t know anybody else saw that? It was another dimension for me during the race. I guess anything different is big lapping so many times.
My overall health was strong except my stiff neck, my wife put a Hot Pack on and wrapped with my green bandana. It looked funky but who cares right? I thought my left ankle was going to be problematic feeling some liquid built before this race. That happened in the Killington race back in July 26, 2008. It was swollen like balloon.
I was not surprised I got the first place, because all the other national races I did this year, I felt pretty strong but not the best. I am hoping I will do much better next year in the races. However, I will not race 24 hours of Allamuchy next year because of my holiday in a different country, I will be biking there. I will see you all at the Ringwood Fall Classic where my son Ekrem will race.
I would like to thank everybody who made this race possible. All the racers. I had soo much fun with quality bikers, my friends and everybody else.

Finally I got the first place this year..
I would like to start by extending my thanks to Bob & Karen Workman for their work to get a smart course trail. The course was wonderful, fast and technical. I had fun in the course. 24 hour races turn out to be overwhelming with continuous turns, but this one I just got dizzy :). The first couple laps after hitting the mile mark 2, I was feeling relief, because I was familiar with the rest of the trail riding all year. But again, after mile mark 7.5, I felt again frustrated because I did not know that section being in the Boys Scout restricted area...Excuse...But overall I really enjoyed riding in the course.
My wife helped me in my pit stops. She was wonderful, fast and not panicked at all. Calm and relaxing, and helped me relax for a few minutes. My kids were trying to clean my glasses and face during my sit time. So overall their existence was a big plus for me. Frankly, I enjoyed showing off to them, hehe. They like me doing a good job there. I love them so moocho.
Keith and I we camped next to each other in 3B, great place for pit stop. Sick dude rode a single speed bike for freaking 13 laps with an explosive first lap.
My strategy was to keep it quite and make my move during nite ride, so I took 15 min breaks controlling Mike Carter not to get too much out of control. That happened. He slowed down in the nite and I put a lap on him around 1800. But that dude is fast, he does not get tired. So I was kind of relaxed after that point, still Idid not want to let it go. So I kept biking at an average pace. My lap times were still 1 hour 15 minutes. Before the race I was thinking around 18 laps. But pacing according to the racers slowed me down a little. My last lap was test lap to see how much I could push at the end in case of high pressure. I pulled my last lap in 1 hour which was as fast as my first lap. I kept scanning in and out continuously and took my idle time after scanning out. My lap times include idle times.
My stomach was good at the beginning. I ate nuts, dried grapes, M&M's , bagels, chicken soup and some gel when I felt the need. I try to stay away from that crap, but you cannot do without it. But after the evening hours my stomach was a mess. Eating the dust made so nauseous.
Around 1900 on Sunday morning, I saw big bear quarter of a mile before 6 mile mark which was at Ice Cream. I don’t know I woke him up or what but he was surprised seeing me there, considering all the racers all nite long. I don’t know anybody else saw that? It was another dimension for me during the race. I guess anything different is big lapping so many times.
My overall health was strong except my stiff neck, my wife put a Hot Pack on and wrapped with my green bandana. It looked funky but who cares right? I thought my left ankle was going to be problematic feeling some liquid built before this race. That happened in the Killington race back in July 26, 2008. It was swollen like balloon.
I was not surprised I got the first place, because all the other national races I did this year, I felt pretty strong but not the best. I am hoping I will do much better next year in the races. However, I will not race 24 hours of Allamuchy next year because of my holiday in a different country, I will be biking there. I will see you all at the Ringwood Fall Classic where my son Ekrem will race.
I would like to thank everybody who made this race possible. All the racers. I had soo much fun with quality bikers, my friends and everybody else.

emrahayhan.blogspot.com

Emrah Ayhan

24 HOA Course

We are glad that everyone had a great time with this years course. We cant help but think this was largely due to the weather!!! :)

Also, big shout out to Dan and Emrah for pulling out the solo wins!!! Way cool!

Also big thanks to the crew from JORBA for coming out and racing! It was a blast getting to hang with everyone.

Lets see it the weather is starting a new trend for the race...maybe it will be dry and dusty for the next few years to make up for the past wet weather!!!

Back
Top Bottom