ALL E-bike-riders will need to Register and get Insurance

I agree regular bicycles and infrastructure catered to them will save the world but not ebikes.

I think everyone has given up on people Commuting with a normal bike which is why there's an e-bike push. But, people are even too lazy for those or have 5 Billion excuses why they can't ride to work so we'll never see an infrastructure development for them.

I think everyone has given up on people Commuting with a normal bike which is why there's an e-bike push. But, people are even too lazy for those or have 5 Billion excuses why they can't ride to work so we'll never see an infrastructure development for them.
I saw your license plate frame for sale
s-l400.jpg

Commuting by bike, any sort of bike sucks for 99% of the people due to the way all the towns are designed. For almost anyone to try to figure out a non-car method of getting to their workplace from home is nearly impossible or just completely unsafe.

An ebike won't help the fact that roads are designed for cars moving fast, not pedestrians or bicycles.

Commuting by bike, any sort of bike sucks for 99% of the people due to the way all the towns are designed. For almost anyone to try to figure out a non-car method of getting to their workplace from home is nearly impossible or just completely unsafe.

An ebike won't help the fact that roads are designed for cars moving fast, not pedestrians or bicycles.

Yet somehow roadies have no issues being the largest cycling user group and riding all of those roads all of the time. And then zero percent of them will ride to work or the grocery store.

Yet somehow roadies have no issues being the largest cycling user group and riding all of those roads all of the time. And then zero percent of them will ride to work or the grocery store.
It's not the same roads.

For instance I lived in Morristown, worked in Fairfield. Pretty standard commute. "Back" roads are 2-lane fast moving roads with no shoulders, then route 46. During rush hour.

When I road biked I went through nice roads west of town where there's no jobs.

And roadies are what, 0.000001% of the population? Even if they all road to work it would hardly be noticeable.

This is true. And it's worse in some ways if you live in a more rural area with space between towns like I do. It will take time to undo decades upon decades of car-centric urban and suburban planning (if we ever get there). However, addressing this is part of the "complete streets" movement underway, and the reasoning behind things like transit alternatives program (TAP) grants. To better incorporate bicycles and other light/low speed methods into our transportation infrastructure. A fair number of NJ towns and cities are converting existing streets to pedestrian/bike only streets and adding protected bike lanes, etc.

It's not the same roads.

For instance I lived in Morristown, worked in Fairfield. Pretty standard commute. "Back" roads are 2-lane fast moving roads with no shoulders, then route 46. During rush hour.

When I road biked I went through nice roads west of town where there's no jobs.

And roadies are what, 0.000001% of the population? Even if they all road to work it would hardly be noticeable.

You can always make a less busy route to work. I don't go down Rt22 to work, I meander up into the hills and take backroads. The roadies I'm talking about live way east of where I am so their entire ride is on shit roads. Leaving Union County is suicidal on a bike and yet we have over 100 people every week for our group ride.

You can always make a less busy route to work. I don't go down Rt22 to work, I meander up into the hills and take backroads. The roadies I'm talking about live way east of where I am so their entire ride is on shit roads. Leaving Union County is suicidal on a bike and yet we have over 100 people every week for our group ride.
Enlighten me.

This was my commute, which is pretty normal. The way Google suggest is up and over Horseneck Rd which is a hundred feet of elevation with no shoulder on each side and turns.
1709930700576.png

Can skip it with 46. Or Ridgedale Ave through Hanover and Passaic Ave/Clinton Rd which is just more of the same.

I've done it a bunch of times, but most people aren't going to skip their car to go risk death doing it. I actually found getting up to Route 46 as soon as possible and just taking it as the safest bet as 46 is the safest out of all those roads.

Enlighten me.

This was my commute, which is pretty normal. The way Google suggest is up and over Horseneck Rd which is a hundred feet of elevation with no shoulder on each side and turns.
View attachment 233940
Can skip it with 46. Or Ridgedale Ave through Hanover and Passaic Ave/Clinton Rd which is just more of the same.

I've done it a bunch of times, but most people aren't going to skip their car to go risk death doing it. I actually found getting up to Route 46 as soon as possible and just taking it as the safest bet as 46 is the safest out of all those roads.
Yeah this is kinda the sad reality of bike adoption here. There's very little *safe* bike infrastructure, e-bike or not. For shorter commutes or denser areas it can definitely be an option, but no one's trying to fight 40-50mph traffic on a shoulder just to save on some gas, or at least not the average commuter.

Enlighten me.

View attachment 233940

"less busy" commute to work, not un-busy. We live in NJ, there's always someone out there somewhere. And statistically we all know how much more likely you are to die in a car. But I get it, which is why I went from Commuting every single day for over a decade to once or twice a week, it sucks out there.

My excuse is i hate having to fight cars and being forced to be part of merging interstate traffic. I refuse to ride on roads with no shoulder too, (2 lane roads where you cant be abreast with 2 other cars)

It's one thing to skirt by one or two days but daily it just a matter of time before your a statistic.

Last edited:
This must really be intended for riding electric powered bikes on the road, mixed in with traffic. This really won't have any effect on E-MTB's in the woods. E-MTB's are toys, they are not meant for the road or used in traffic so it really does not apply. But this law is complete bullshit. Someone really needs to educate the law makers about the differences in electric bikes and Emopeds/motorcycles that go above 20mph or have throttles.
LMFAO.... "Educate the lawmakers..."

Welcome to the world of NJ firearms owners..... For decades we've been dealing with idiots in Trenton passing laws that make zero logical sense on any level, accomplish nothing but taxing/punishing the innocent law-abiding citizen, for an item they have so little intelligence about that were it not so tragically stupid it would be comical...

Trenton proves you don't need to have any understanding of the item or situation you're writing legislation about, they are in charge and they will write laws. Period, end of conversation.
The key part isn't the insurance.... That's the distraction.... it's the registration that will be required every year... it's a tax grab... that's all, that's the only sense you can make of it.

You cannot "educate the lawmakers" because they are not trying to pass laws that make sense, only taxes that generate revenue..... Logic plays no part.

Another example of NJ jumping on new legislation without fully thinking it through.

Hopefully this dosent pass. They need to target the right people. Can't be going after everyone. Next thing they gonna take away our rights to carry guns!

Hopefully this dosent pass. They need to target the right people. Can't be going after everyone. Next thing they gonna take away our rights to carry guns!
Some people can't be trusted with guns or e-bikes. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but other people might be saying that...

It's the only thing I've seen get suburbanites out of their cars in my town.
And Shake Shack into their bellies! These are mostly delivery people who don’t GAF and make $6 a drop. They are going to go as fast as possible and break as many rules as necessary to make the most deliveries they can.

Back
Top Bottom