Acadia and bar harbor info

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Compiling info.
@Robin
Family week mid August and need as much info of points of interest to where to stay. What you got...

Compiling info.
@Robin
Family week mid August and need as much info of points of interest to where to stay. What you got...

LUCKY!

I haven't been there in a while - but I've camped in Acadia NP (tent). I am not sure if you can bring the pop-up so check their website. Since I only lived an hour from there (Orono) I used to do day trips. You'll be paying top dollar to stay on Mount Desert Island (where Acadia is) so you may want to check out prices inland/on the mainland. Bangor is about an hour away.

I didn't bike when I lived there - but there are miles of carriage roads to ride on. I don't think there is ST in the park/on the island. Traffic will be heavy so I wouldn't plan on too much road riding...

I did a lot of hiking when I lived near there - covering just about every route/hike. Definitely summit Cadillac Mountain - and see the sunrise (it's VERY early). Also climb up Beehive and Precipice (there are ladder systems). I'll have to check my log books when I'm home and get back with other routes. You can pick up maps at the visitors center.

Sand Beach isn't sand..it's actually crushed sea shells. Don't plan on swimming but it's a beautiful area to relax during the day.

I've done some sea kayaking there - you can rent single/tandem kayaks with guides through an outfitter. I think Lance and I did that spare of the moment/while we were there. I've done some climbing there but that was through UMaine - I bet they have outfitters for that too.

I'm sure more breweries have popped up and the restaurants have changed.

Bar Harbor proper is pricey, precipice is NOT a trail it is a "non-technical climb" i.e. it is vertical.
there is a bunch of traffic in most spots but its easy going most of the time.
if thunder hole is cool but your phone may think you are in Canada.

Camping will not be part of this trip. Don't mind staying inland to save a few bucks. Exactly how far is Sunday River for a day of bike park fun. Bike will otherwise not be a part unless these carriage roads get us across more territory to see. Otherwise hiking will be mostly what we will be doing.

if you have the time, split off the pike at Augusta and take 17 to Rt 1 and take the coast all the way up it is a nicer drive although it is longer
but you'll go through Rockland, Rockport, Camden, and Belfast. I suggest stopping in Camden and taking a walk around the Harbor to stretch your legs

Camping will not be part of this trip. Don't mind staying inland to save a few bucks. Exactly how far is Sunday River for a day of bike park fun. Bike will otherwise not be a part unless these carriage roads get us across more territory to see. Otherwise hiking will be mostly what we will be doing.

From what I remember, Sunday River was about 2ish hours from Orono/Bangor (granted this was during the winter) - I'd say probably close to 3 from BH??

we've done the Sunday River to Coast a few times before kids, but for skiing during the Spring. It always seemed like a long trip but we should have stopped to check out the inland parks more. After the kids, we used to go to Sebasco, which has a charming little low key resort with golf. It's also close to Boothbay Harbor which is one of my favorite small towns in America.

I've been there for about 15 vacations now, and 3 of those were with T because she also fell in love with it. That's going to be a busy time to go. The biking is fun, but it's pretty easy for us bikers. You can probably hit it all in a day if you tried. I did 18 miles with my gf who doesn't really bike from Bar Harbor Village Green down the West side of Eagle Lake and Jordan Pond, then back.

The park loop road is definitely worth hitting if you've never been there before and see all the sights, but most of the stuff like Sand Beach and Thunder Hole is for tourists. If you want a big splash, go during low tide when it's on it's way back up.

As Robin said, Precipice Trail is probably the best to hit. Make sure it'll be open when you go as they close it for Hawk/Falcon nesting. Beehive is a shorter version of Precipice if closed. Otherwise, the hiking is the main reason to go to Acadia. Definitely hike up Cadillac, and from there, through the valley to Dorr Mt. My favorite way up was the Gorge Path, then down the South Ridge to Champlain and Sand Beach. Use the bus system so you don't have to retrace your steps to find the car. It's free and awesome, but again, packed in the summer.

Kayaking on Long Pond and sea is also a good time.

I've been to Acadia many times. Not sure of your family situation (kids, pets, etc...) but I have stayed on and off the island in rentals from Homeaway and other rentals. And you can definitely get much more value off the island, but w/i 30 minutes from anywhere in the park. I really like the carriage trails for riding. You can get in some great scenery and if you go early in the day, it's pretty quiet. I would say that in August, any hiking you should try to get on the trail before 9:00am at the latest, or in the evening. If you want to swim in warmer water, go to Echo lake, but it will get crowded.

Favorite place for breakfast is Cafe-this-way, Coffee is Milagro (the guys that own it also own a few rentals... we stayed at one in Surry, on the water.. small but awesome spot).

You should check out Blue Hill, Maine, a collection of small villages just SW of Mt. Desert Is. (Blue Hill is the largest town on the peninsula). Very rural but each village has some cool stuff. Maine Maritime Academy is in one of them, as well as a number of wooden boat rail lines. Would be solid, picturesque road biking there and easy enough to get to Acadia while still being cheaper. Should be able to find some cool lodging via CRBO or ABnB. May have changed as been 10 years since I've been up there but was a great alternative to costs/crowds in Acadia. For background, both my wife and I went to college in Maine and we go back every summer. Good luck.

Thanks
That's info I am looking for as we will probably be ABnB it. So quaint towns in land should fit the $.

Also... If you want to get another perspective of the island, there is a company that does a nice sailing excursion on a "friendship sloop". you can do private or small group (6 max).. think they were called Quiet Side Charters...

And I have no motel/hotel recommendations because I only ever camped. For 97% of the trips I stayed at Bar Harbor Campground. It's privately owned and the closest to the park entrance. It gets more expensive every year, but it's one of the few that have showers, laundry, a pool, etc. It's really nice to have a proper shower after a day in the woods. The state owned grounds only have toilets, so you have to drive out to some lobster shacks, etc. that have paid showers for people to use, or jump in a lake. Hotels near Bar Harbor are super expensive, and the ones off the island will just be a long haul every morning. Never looked into AirBnB.

These are all the towns in Hancock County (which encompasses Mt. Desert). Some on the list below are on the Island (e.g. Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, etc.). We stayed in Stonington but any on the Peninsula should have cheaper options. Wikipedia page has some good info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Hill,_Maine

We have rented a few houses on and off the island via VRBO. They all had water access and were all fantastic.
Bernard Cove
South east of Southwest Harbor
Trenton

We try to time the drive up to get lunch at Flo's in Cape Neddick, ME. Earlier is better because the line can snake out around the parking lot. Read the sign out front regarding how to order. The "special" with their relish and mayo is great. Follow it up with ice cream at Dunne's in York, out on the nubble. Park at Sohier Park to see the lighthouse and brave kayakers. http://www.floshotdogs.com/

Get your 7 day vehicle pass at the visitor center. You need the pass for park access even at the areas not hidden behind a gate. https://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/fees.htm

Take the bus when you can. Parking is tight in the park. Every bus has a 2 or 3 bike rack front and rear. There is a bike specific shuttle (van with a trailer for up to 15 bikes) between Bar Harbor and Eagle lake. http://www.exploreacadia.com/

Diver Ed - This is a boat ride around the harbor. You will stop somehwere so Ed can dive. You can watch on flat screens in the boat while he looks for interesting sea creatures. He will bring some back onto the boat to give you a chance to touch some sea life from the bottom. Great for kids, https://www.divered.com/

Whale watching tour - I don't remember which boat we took but they promised a whale sighting or free return passes. We actually got the free tickets and went again 2 years later. Bring warm stuff to wear.

Lots of hiking - Everything is good. Take the braver kids on the Beehive or Precipice Trail. Both of these require climbing via steel rungs and handrails pounded into the rocks.

Dan Falt wood sculpture barn - If his barn is open, the kids can paint some small wood animals for a donation. We have a brace of his fish, painted by the kids, hanging in our kitchen.

Biking the carriage trails - Plan a route and explore. I usually take the whole pack on a short ride. Try a loop around Witch Hole Pond. You can combine biking and hiking as well. I took a little one on a ride from the Bubble Pond lot to behind Conner's Nubble then we hiked up to the Nubble on foot. When I want to take a long ride, I'll leave the car with the pack at the house and take whatever bus rides I need to get to Eagle Lake. Catch the local bus and either pull the cord as you drive by Eagle Lake (or other desired stop) or catch the bike shuttle at Bar Harbor. I imagine that any cyclocross suitable tire will do well enough on the fine gravel trails. My 26 inch hardtail with 2.25 tires was more than sufficient.

Watch the sun set from the top of Cadillac Mountain - You have to drive up an hour or two before sunset as there is limited parking. The rangers will close the road if/when the top is full. Or, pedal your arse up the hill. Bring dinner and a bottle of wine.

Find a good lobster pound. Ours is Thurston's in Bernard.

Schoodic Penninsula - Don't forget that part of the park is across the bay on Schoodic Penninsula. We saw eagles and their nests while touring around.

Jordan Pond House - This is a wonderful place to sit and eat on a nice day. Traffic and parking can be a nightmare so take the bus if you can. Get there early.

Popovers - Eat lots of them! You don't have to go to Jordan Pond House to get your carb fix. The Common Good in Southwest Harbor offers popover breakfast in exchange for a donation. You can usually walk right in to their outdoor eating area. Donations go towards helping feed people in the off season. Please be generous. http://www.commongoodsoupkitchen.org/

bring the road bikes. my wife and i saw acadia by bike and it was great. you can take the carriage roads or just stay on the roads and stop off at the random beaches along the way. we found it to be a pretty road bike friendly area.

and everyone talks about the lobster. its good, but the shrimp is was what really knocked our socks off.

Back
Top Bottom