A new lead?

IMG_1896.JPG
I enjoy the fatty as I can use it for all types of terrain from road to beach, especially in the pine barrens.

Would love to get a Salsa Warbird for up north/west.

I was planning on doing more road/gravel roads. Which style would you suggest? I thought the salsa or surly with a steel frame might be a little smoother. Seems like the surly long distance truck is a simple popular touring machine. I was going to mount racks on front and back for sleepingbag/pad and 1 man shelter.

I was planning on doing more road/gravel roads. Which style would you suggest? I thought the salsa or surly with a steel frame might be a little smoother. Seems like the surly long distance truck is a simple popular touring machine. I was going to mount racks on front and back for sleepingbag/pad and 1 man shelter.
The LHT can be got for relatively cheap, $600-700, on the auction sites.
even new they are affordable, note the sizes 54 and smaller use 26" wheels

A great find if you can locate one is a Taiwanese made Bruce Gordon Basic Loaded Touring bike (BG-BLT), which will be in the same price range of used LHT

The Surly is nice, it's kind of the standard reference bike, but they're very heavy, don't have great handling unless they're loaded up, come with bar-end shifters.

That's why I always found the Windsor Tourist such a good deal. Actual steel touring bike for $700 with a rear rack.

This year has been pretty crazy for me. However, with some changes, I find myself with more time and with this itch to start touring. I'm considering selling my fat bike and looking into picking up a touring bike and giving it a wirl. So my question is, has anyone here done some touring? If so, did you enjoy it? And what are some good touring bike out there?

welcome, comrade...
I will embarking maybe a month long touring in September,. on my surly Karate Monkey with either paniers or saddlebags

20150622_105825.jpg

this is surly karate monkey my go anywhere and ride on anything touring rig
you don't need no fancy bikes to do touring or specific bikes for it,.. in fact many times I use my racing road bike for touring too
nowadays, the bicycle industry in bikepacking category are booming there's plenty of makes and model to choose from

I think,. don't sell your fat bike first
instead try it and do a short tour first and see how's going

liong

Last edited:
Im thinking of doing the virginia mountain trail route this fall. If anyones interested id rather not do it alone. Not sure on the full 12 days or just the second half which is 272 miles 7 days it says.

Im thinking of doing the virginia mountain trail route this fall. If anyones interested id rather not do it alone. Not sure on the full 12 days or just the second half which is 272 miles 7 days it says.

I've done a 6day 500 road mile tour on my ol' Soma Doublecross DC, rear rack w/ panniers and small bar bag. on 32c slicks w/ drop bars - totally fine, though I noticed the rear end had a tendency to wag at times.

That's when I learned if you are only going to rack and bag one thing, make it the front for better handling.

I did a 2 night 3 day adventure bike pack which was a great mix of road and gravel and some single track (which turned into a gravel sandpit which turned into a creek bed). Also on the Soma with rear rack and panniers and same small bar bag on 35c file treads w/ riser bars (super fun set up).

That's when I learned for 2 nights the rack and pannier set up weighs more than what I was carrying.

Then this year I planned a 1 night trip up to cooperstown NY with @rsinger814 and zach and gave saddle pack life a try on the road bike. We only needed to carry one extra kit, and a light set of street clothes +ride food so the trip was pretttttyyy fast and light.

In the past I've loaded my saddle pack and full triangle frame pack with as much laundry I could fit on the CX bike and would say that for a couple or even a few nights my preferred packing method would be that. The pannier rack method is reasonably inexpensive but noticeably heavy and is a bear to pull through the wind. The frame/saddle pack technique doesn't really much frontal area. I almost feel like it actually might help aerodynamics, haha.

Whatever you are doing pack light. You don't need 5 tshirts for 5 days!

Back
Top Bottom