650b

BonsaiMTB

I haven't ridden one..but I think this ideas should have came out before the 29ers. Yes the 29ers roll faster..but let face it..they handle like sh!t and can't out perform a 26er on skinnys or tight and twisty...just my opinion.

And here we go!
boom_goes_the_dynamite_mousepad-p144940284085477415trak_400.jpg

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28465

after thought:
But these types of conversations will never die as long as new people are always introduced to the sport.

Where else are they going to go to learn about mountain biking?

Sooooo, I ride 26ers. Rode a few 29ers but didnt like them till I rode one that was a perfect "fit" then it was swell.

when I asked a friend of mine who is in the bike building business HIS opinion about this, he told me to wait till the 650 becomes more popular as it is thought it will be "the best of both worlds" truth or fact? hmmm I think opinion.

another thought:
My downhill bike (a 26er), when being ridden cross country, actually handles very similar to a 29, it is not as snappy in the steering as my cross country 26er. So I am sure the geometry of the bikes has plenty to do with the handling and its not just the tire size, geometry of course being influenced by the tire size...blah blah blah

Last edited:

after thought:
But these types of conversations will never die as long as new people are always introduced to the sport.

Sooooo, I ride 26ers. Rode a few 29ers but didnt like them till I rode one that was a perfect "fit" then it was swell.

when I asked a friend of mine who is in the bike building business HIS opinion about this, he told me to wait till the 650 becomes more popular as it is thought it will be "the best of both worlds" truth or fact? hmmm I think opinion.

another thought:
My downhill bike (a 26er), when being ridden cross country, actually handles very similar to a 29, it is not as snappy in the steering as my cross country 26er. So I am sure the geometry of the bikes has plenty to do with the handling and its not just the tire size, geometry of course being influenced by the tire size...blah blah blah

LOL..I still think 27 and a Halfers Rock:)

after thought:

another thought:

Thanks Arwens Mom for being gracious for giving me some great feed back about the difference and ideas of different wheel sizes..its very much appreciated:)

I have liked the concept of the 650b size since it came out. One of these days I will grab or build a 650b front wheel and throw it on my old rigid Rhygin and give it a whirl. I think a 650b front - 26er in the back would rock for a semi retro crouch SS setup. Or a 29er up front and a 650 out back for taller riders. Both setups allow the rear end to stay tight and you can still whip the tail around (at least in my mind it should be easier than a 29" rear)

15mm front axles drive me bonkers - an extra hoop/tire size that works with a lot of forks and some 26" frames doesn't seem like a big deal.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I have liked the concept of the 650b size since it came out. One of these days I will grab or build a 650b front wheel and throw it on my old rigid Rhygin and give it a whirl. I think a 650b front - 26er in the back would rock for a semi retro crouch SS setup. Or a 29er up front and a 650 out back for taller riders. Both setups allow the rear end to stay tight and you can still whip the tail around (at least in my mind it should be easier than a 29" rear)

15mm front axles drive me bonkers - an extra hoop/tire size that works with a lot of forks and some 26" frames doesn't seem like a big deal.

Rhygin..now that a blast from the past...I used to drool of that bike..I believe it was there Ti bike I was inamoured with.

Rhygin..now that a blast from the past...I used to drool of that bike..I believe it was there Ti bike I was inamoured with.

Damn, didn't think many people know or remember Rhygin. It's an oldie but a goodie but hangs on the hook more than is ridden unfortunately.

I don't think Rhygin did any Ti frames but think they were known for some stainless builds.

I want to share another aspect of the 650b hype. 650b for the road is regaining popularity among the randonneur & long distance crowd. It can be easy to convert some older road bikes. some nice examples here: http://sdbikecommuter.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=478&page=1 check out the map randonneur.

Some 650b road bikes claim to be allroad bikes. I've ridden a Boulder Bicycle for the past 2 years, I use it on commutes, day rides, brevets, multi day rides. I use soma b-line 650b tires They smooth out the shit roads I ride on. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7955827364_1ac23478f1_b.jpg I ride the same speed as when I was on 700c. With 650b I can comfortably explore unpaved roads, rail trails, fire roads & jeep roads. Some light singletrack is fine. I'm a big fan of 650b.

Damn, didn't think many people know or remember Rhygin. It's an oldie but a goodie but hangs on the hook more than is ridden unfortunately.

I don't think Rhygin did any Ti frames but think they were known for some stainless builds.

I can't remember if its was stainless or Ti?...pretty sure it was the Rhygin Ti frame...whatever happened to that company?

Most people who dislike 29er do so because their 29er doesn't have the same proportions as 26"-wheeled bikes. You can't add .5"+ to a bike's chainstays and have it feel 'right'. (unless you're so tall that you need long stays.

Many people like 650b better because it's easy to build a 650 bike with 26"-wheel geometry. You get proven geometry with the advantage of bigger wheels.

So, it's geometry, much more than wheel size.

I hated 29er when I first tried it. After designing a 29er with 26er geometry, I loved it. I could go to 650 wheels, if I wanted half the advantages and half the drawbacks of 29er.

If you haven't tried a short-stay (16.75-17 geared/16.25+ SS) then you don't really know how good 29er can be.

Most people who dislike 29er do so because their 29er doesn't have the same proportions as 26"-wheeled bikes. You can't add .5"+ to a bike's chainstays and have it feel 'right'. (unless you're so tall that you need long stays.

Many people like 650b better because it's easy to build a 650 bike with 26"-wheel geometry. You get proven geometry with the advantage of bigger wheels.

So, it's geometry, much more than wheel size.

I hated 29er when I first tried it. After designing a 29er with 26er geometry, I loved it. I could go to 650 wheels, if I wanted half the advantages and half the drawbacks of 29er.

If you haven't tried a short-stay (16.75-17 geared/16.25+ SS) then you don't really know how good 29er can be.

Agreed...Geometery is KEY...and also agree 27.5 is much easier to get the right Geometery on bike. My next purchase will be a 650b hardtail..without a doubt.

Back
Top Bottom