6 Mile Run Conditions

I rode, I mean drove by today and there were 4 cars in the canal lot with bike racks. Can't imagine what their bikes looked like when they got back

@fidodie if you give me a little notice, i'd like to help out with some of the spring clean up or race prep... so just tag me if you start another thread.

Sub-20 degree weather tomorrow morning. Okay to ride 6MR in the 7-9am window? I dont want to do damage but thinking it will be frozen through and will be okay?

Sub-20 degree weather tomorrow morning. Okay to ride 6MR in the 7-9am window? I dont want to do damage but thinking it will be frozen through and will be okay?

Its going to be close!!! esp if it stays cloudy today. will be frozen at 7am - but it looks to be sunny tomorrow morning. Slimy in the field sections by 11:00 ??

what say you @clarkenstein ?

Its going to be close!!! esp if it stays cloudy today. will be frozen at 7am - but it looks to be sunny tomorrow morning. Slimy in the field sections by 11:00 ??

yep i would say its a go. only issue is its gonna be sunny tomorrow morning, so field sections will soup-up even in the high teens. 9 will be late IMHO for anything out of the woods. as long as you are done with the blue trail before the sun gets up you are winning.

I ride 6 Mile a lot during the freeze/thaw. It's usually good to go if the daytime temps are in the low to mid 30's and it drops well below freezing at night. The key is to hit it early before the sun has a chance to beat on the trails.

I'm planning on hitting it tomorrow in the same 7-9am window. If you're looking to ride and be out by 9am, it will be fine.

Last edited:
I may see you out there early tomorrow Randy! Hoping it's frozen enough.

Gotta buy new gloves first because I lost mine. Don't suppose anyone found a helmet and gloves at the Jacques lot? Bummed I have no idea what happened to them.

yep i would say its a go. only issue is its gonna be sunny tomorrow morning, so field sections will soup-up even in the high teens. 9 will be late IMHO for anything out of the woods. as long as you are done with the blue trail before the sun gets up you are winning.

You got it, im out at 8something for sure. Thanks!

I may see you out there early tomorrow Randy! Hoping it's frozen enough.

Gotta buy new gloves first because I lost mine. Don't suppose anyone found a helmet and gloves at the Jacques lot? Bummed I have no idea what happened to them.

Hey Glenn, I'm certain the trails will be fine as long as we get out there early enough.

Sucks about the helmet and the gloves. If someone found them and they see your post, you might get lucky and get your stuff back. I find the mountain bike community at large is good that way. I lost a phone at 6 Mile once and a wheel at Allaire (total bonehead move on my part) and I was fortunate enough to get both items back.

I'm pretty sure I have an extra helmet and pair of heavy gloves. If you need to borrow them so you can get out on the trail tomorrow, let me know and I'll look for them. I'll be at the Canal lot @ 7am.

I rolled out with a couple of my riding buddies this morning. Trails were frozen solid. As expected, lots of frozen ruts, especially in the open field on blue and the usual places that hold water on red and white. Besides the frozen ruts, conditions were perfect this morning. I only did a half loop on the canal side because I was on the clock. Maybe @pygmypony can report on the rest of the trail.

There is one large downed tree on the Cedar Shake section (between S. Middlebush and the Hi-Low bridge). See pics below.
020417 Six Mile - Ben Kassim.jpg
020417 Six Mile - Down Tree 1.jpg

I can echo Randy's report for White, Red and Orange. All pretty solid, good conditions. A couple of puddles in low spots here and there, but overall rideable. Tons of frozen ruts. Probably not as fun on skinny tires.

I rolled out with a couple of my riding buddies this morning. Trails were frozen solid. As expected, lots of frozen ruts, especially in the open field on blue and the usual places that hold water on red and white. Besides the frozen ruts, conditions were perfect this morning. I only did a half loop on the canal side because I was on the clock. Maybe @pygmypony can report on the rest of the trail.

There is one large downed tree on the Cedar Shake section (between S. Middlebush and the Hi-Low bridge). See pics below.
View attachment 47214 View attachment 47215
the middlebush to 27 side was just as good...same deal, mostly completely frozen, two or three muddy puddles...but totally rideable...good time today!

Funday Sunday 2/5 rode 7-10am , starting to soften as I left.

You could see huge sludge potential with the massive frozen rut-rohs; as soon as the sun and/or some temps hit the trails it will be back to oozma kappa.

Saw some of the roadies I rode with in newtown were there yesterday and even named there files "mud bog". Ugh. When will people learn.

Flatten down a path for me
Done...hit it tonight with a couple of my buddies on fat bikes, laying first tracks on virgin snow for almost all of the trails except Blue (someone beat us to the first couple miles on the Canal side, we finished off the rest). We didn't hit White or the short section of Red parallel to Orange. You will find 1o.5 miles of groomed trail. Watch out for soft, deep pow on the open sections of Blue along the fields, you might be doing some hike-a-bike in these areas.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions