3/18-19 Weekend in pics

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry folks I have been lacking lately. But I am back in tonight. Pictures, have at it...

Stomp on Friday night:

Photo Mar 17, 7 23 55 PM.jpg

Then Monster Sushi:

Photo Mar 17, 10 11 47 PM.jpg

Then dinner with good friends:

Photo Mar 18, 9 37 55 PM.jpg

Then good beer:

Photo Mar 19, 4 11 51 PM.jpg

Then good food:

Photo Mar 19, 7 52 28 PM.jpg

Gonna take it back to last weekend for a full recap. 4 months ago our dog passed away. One of the hardest days of my life. I wanted to take some time off but that didn't happen. Last Friday/ Saturday morning we got a special delivery from Tennessee
IMAG1991.jpg

female Beagle mix, Mrs Walter is happy once again.
Up 3 hours later for cheer comp, and as I arrive I get multiple texts that my daughter is hurt. I walk in,emt's, coaches etc have her on the bench, apparently during warm ups her flyer fell on her. She tells all of us she is ok, 30 minutes later she's doing her thing
IMAG1995.jpg

ps, the new pup is awesome
FB_IMG_1489982580720.jpg
then I bought some music for the snow storm
FB_IMG_1489982599407.jpg

Then I realized time flies and the beautiful baby girl you once held in your arms is growing up way to quick. My girl on the right. This is her friend Ty, we've traveled the country together and they have like 7 national titles between them.
FB_IMG_1489982628172.jpg

little one loves the new pup
FB_IMG_1489982552416.jpg

I then drank some delicious beer
FB_IMG_1489982647461.jpg

Dustin then brought his bad kid over
FB_IMG_1489982669923.jpg

after everyone left we ate some awesome tex mex
FB_IMG_1489982683424.jpg

I only have one pic from this weekend ... from Wharton:

33422781201_7fb6c31f4f_o.jpg

I like this pic for a few reasons. One, you'd never guess that it was taken when there was a foot of snow on the ground back home. Also, I like the low-angle of it, which is not a function of trying to get a good angle, but rather because my back seems to have once again fallen apart entirely (same thing that took me out of last year's July contest and has happened three times since ... might be a pattern here ...) I was sitting on the side of the trail because I had just bumped over a log and it bounced my back so hard that I started to feel lightheaded and nauseous. So I figured I'd turn lemons into lemonade and at least record how nice a day it was out there. This back thing sucks, though. I'm facing a tough decision: PT hasn't worked, chiro hasn't worked, yoga hasn't worked ... I may have to consider something a bit more invasive, which I'd really prefer not to do. But when this flares up, my whole lower back swells up and I can't move for days. I gritted my teeth and just put up with the pain for 45 miles yesterday, but if I tried that anyplace other than Wharton it wouldn't have been possible.

Inversion? Helps me...a little.

Yeah, do it every day - my wife got me in inversion table for Xmas this year. It gives me temporary relief, but nothing permanent. I do love that table, though. And my cats find it endlessly curious that I'm upside down. They just stare at me wide-eyed the entire time I'm using it.

have you tried traction machines? I use one for my neck and know they make the same for the lower. Pm me if you want to know what I use

Yeah, do it every day - my wife got me in inversion table for Xmas this year. It gives me temporary relief, but nothing permanent. I do love that table, though. And my cats find it endlessly curious that I'm upside down. They just stare at me wide-eyed the entire time I'm using it.

I found that if I do it and immediately before going to bed and then again as soon as I get up; I have fewer digging my finger nails in as I slide down the wall incidents. :(

WP_20170317_16_30_53_Pro.jpg
probably the weekend on the slopes this season, Mountain Creek b4 the weekend shitfest

Supporting the older kid's robotics team at Bridgewater HS, they did okay. A team supported by my company from CT crushed everyone.

WP_20170318_15_09_22_Pro.jpg

went to NYC to see family, it's was my grandfather's b-day, he's about 130ish
WP_20170319_11_04_15_Pro.jpg

my alcohol fund has diverted from whiskey to beer as of late thanks to you. My liver thanks you, but my belly is feeling some strain
WP_20170319_14_04_25_Pro.jpg

@1speed have you tried a squishier bike and gears?

Yeah, but I couldn't figure out how to get my skirt over the top tube ...

Seriously, I don't think that has too much to do with it. It might end up being one of the few options I have left if I can't get it fixed, but I'm not there yet. I remember exactly when and where it happened. I did something while sleeping back in July and was startled awake at about 3:30 am by a pain so bad I crawled out of bed and into our bathroom to keep from waking my wife, and then I sat there in the bathroom and had to fight off fainting for about a half hour. I had the whole nine yards going -- HR was really high, flop sweat, hands shaking. I thought I had broken my back somehow, but at the time and x-ray showed nothing and they refused to let me get an MRI - they just send me to PT where the first guy I saw spent two seconds asking me questions before declaring it was definitely due to tight piriformis muscles. I agreed that my hips are tight, but I said that tight muscles probably don't lead to acute blinding pain like that, but he said, "no, that's what it is." I did his exercises for a week and saw no improvement at all. So I went to another guy and that didn't help much either. Eventually it settled down, but it flared up again right after I got back from Colorado. Since then, I've tried everything and it still flares up every six weeks or so. Anything that even slightly puts me out of my usual activity zone triggers it -- luckily, I was so used to riding that it seemed to be okay there, but anything else: running, lifting, even playing a little basketball brings it right back on. The weird thing is, when it's not flaring up, I'm good to go lilke nothign ever happened. And I never know when it's going to happen -- there's no warning. I just suddenly feel like my spine is toppling.

If it ever gets to the point where gears and squish are my only option to ride, I suppose I'll go that way, but I'll be walking around like Charlie Brown with my head hung low forever after ...

Friday- Skate skied Mohonk Friday, 20 miles of bliss.
20170320_122759.jpg

More bowling Saturday at High Point with 6er and Focco. Folks on the trails thought MTBNJ was a xc ski team.
20170318_154953.jpg

Sunday night I went into the city to see Wilco at the Beacon with Mary, I met @capedoc as well but missed out on selfie groupie pic. Beerz, stupidity and a good band.
20170320_085436.jpg

Seriously, I don't think that has too much to do with it. It might end up being one of the few options I have left if I can't get it fixed, but I'm not there yet. I remember exactly when and where it happened. I did something while sleeping back in July and was startled awake at about 3:30 am by a pain so bad I crawled out of bed and into our bathroom to keep from waking my wife, and then I sat there in the bathroom and had to fight off fainting for about a half hour. I had the whole nine yards going -- HR was really high, flop sweat, hands shaking. I thought I had broken my back somehow, but at the time and x-ray showed nothing and they refused to let me get an MRI - they just send me to PT where the first guy I saw spent two seconds asking me questions before declaring it was definitely due to tight piriformis muscles. I agreed that my hips are tight, but I said that tight muscles probably don't lead to acute blinding pain like that, but he said, "no, that's what it is." I did his exercises for a week and saw no improvement at all. So I went to another guy and that didn't help much either. Eventually it settled down, but it flared up again right after I got back from Colorado. Since then, I've tried everything and it still flares up every six weeks or so. Anything that even slightly puts me out of my usual activity zone triggers it -- luckily, I was so used to riding that it seemed to be okay there, but anything else: running, lifting, even playing a little basketball brings it right back on. The weird thing is, when it's not flaring up, I'm good to go lilke nothign ever happened. And I never know when it's going to happen -- there's no warning. I just suddenly feel like my spine is toppling.

If it ever gets to the point where gears and squish are my only option to ride, I suppose I'll go that way, but I'll be walking around like Charlie Brown with my head hung low forever after ...

I would go get an MRI. My insurance company also denied getting an MRI initially. I had to go through 6 weeks of therapy first, then they would approve an MRI. I tried a chiropractor for 6 weeks (it counted as therapy), and that helped slightly. The MRI found a "minor" disc bulge at L5/S1. Thankfully, 6 more weeks of actual PT fixed my issue. I'm guessing you have something going on with a disc, and the only way to find that is by an MRI. Sure, they can tell from an XRAY if the disc is totally compressed, but you'd be in A LOT more constant pain. Good luck sir, I know how much it sucks...

Second the MRI. Have similar symptoms and at one point couldn't even put on my own socks without gritting my teeth. Turns out every vertebra has something called "endbodies" keeping them apart and off the discs. They are supposed to be spongy but mine are disintegrating. The solution: stay really well hydrated, take omegas and magnesium, strengthen the core and avoid anything that compresses the spine. Like falling off a mtb haha. Wishing you luck

Last edited:
Real important to read up on the difference between back muscle pain and disc problem pain. Best home PT I found for back problem core exercises is a search for anything - Mayo Clinic Core Strengthening -, the exercise ball stuff was real helpful. Luckily I had a good doc at a Pain Management Center too. Good luck and work hard to fix yourself. NOT riding is bad for mind and body so get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom