29er Rigid SS Tire Recomendations

GMan

Hi All,

Looking for some tire recommendations and also considering going tubeless. Newer to mountain biking and been having a blast learning the ropes on a 29er rigid SS Mostly spend my time at 6MR but interested in branching out to places like CR .

Started out with a WTB Prowler on the rear and a Kenda Nevegal up front. Loved the confidence the Nevegal inspired traction-wise but it was bit slow. Been rocking Kenda Happy Mediums front and back for the last month or so. Really like their low rolling resistance on the straights and their grip in corners. Problem is they feel a bit harsh unless I deflate them to somewhere under the recommended min 35 psi. Finally paid the price for that this weekend and in my overconfidence also didn't have a spare tube on me.

What would you recommend for a rigid 29er? Am I a tubeless candidate? Looking to keep it fast and grippy.

I have a rigid 29er. run tubeless...

I also like the nevegal upfront. maybe its sluggish, I dont know. all I know is that it holds up well going tubeless (I dont think I even have the version made for tubeless). but more importantly, like you, I like the confidence it gives re: traction.

in back I have run - Kenda slant six and Geax Seguaro. less rolling resistance than the nevegal.

one other thing to consider - with the lower tire pressure you get with tubeless you can generally run a less knobby tire (lower tire pressure allows more surface area to cotnact the ground giving greater traction).

Everyones a tubeless candidate. Do this first with whatever tires you have (if they are compatible) as its cheaper. Then see if the tires suck.

My 2cents, go big in the front if your going rigid. Go 2.3 or bigger tubeless because that will become your suspension. With the bigger tire you can run lower tire pressure and not get as beat up on the small roots and stuff. I have been running the Racing Ralphs or the Rocket Rons in the front of my rigid setup and have no complaints. Enjoy the ride..

+1 on bigger meats up front on a Rigid SS!

I run Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front and Ardent race 2.2 in the back on mine. I love this combo at the places you ride. Icon 2.2 in back is also a solid choice. 2c.

Tubeless and 25 or so psi would make things a lot more fun rigid. I used to pinch flat all the damn time running tubes. Huge upgrade especially considering bang for the buck.
I have Ardent front on my rigid, Ardent front and rear on my squish. Probably go Ignitor rear when I trash my current tire on the rigid.

Volume!!!! Before they were all the rage I ran The 2.4 Racing Ralph's. Too thin of skin but had the volume!!!

Last edited:
On the rigid SS, I run Maxxiss Ardent 2.4 up front with 14psi, rear Stans Raven 2.2 at 25 psi or Maxxiss Ikon 2.2 at 25psi. I switch the rears out depending on weather conditions.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. My apologies if this belonged in general bike talk. The itch to go tubeless is now stronger than ever. Been curious about the Ardent and may have to give it a try. I will probably pick up one of the Stans conversion kits for my current wheels and look into getting some tubeless compatible tires as none of mine are. Is the general consensus that it it is not worth trying non-tubeless ready wheels on a setup like mine?

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. My apologies if this belonged in general bike talk. The itch to go tubeless is now stronger than ever. Been curious about the Ardent and may have to give it a try. I will probably pick up one of the Stans conversion kits for my current wheels and look into getting some tubeless compatible tires as none of mine are. Is the general consensus that it it is not worth trying non-tubeless ready wheels on a setup like mine?

I run tubeless on non-tubeless specific tires (Kenda slant six and Nevegal) and they have been perfect. but tried it on a nontubeless specific Continental and the stans goo was seeping through the sidewall. guess it depends on the brand/tire. suppose that unless youre lucky/ know which ones work, then getting a tubeless specific tire would be the way to go

I run tubeless on non-tubeless specific tires (Kenda slant six and Nevegal) and they have been perfect. but tried it on a nontubeless specific Continental and the stans goo was seeping through the sidewall. guess it depends on the brand/tire. suppose that unless youre lucky/ know which ones work, then getting a tubeless specific tire would be the way to go
Turtle that's good to know about the Nevegal because I'm tempted to do the same thing. I guess my fear about tubeless in general would be some kind of sudden catastrophic scenario, especially on the front wheel. Do you have tubeless specific rims or just regular ones that have been converted?

the mountain king 2.4 I think is the king of volume right now, and it's a god damn nice tire. check it out for the front at least.

Turtle that's good to know about the Nevegal because I'm tempted to do the same thing. I guess my fear about tubeless in general would be some kind of sudden catastrophic scenario, especially on the front wheel. Do you have tubeless specific rims or just regular ones that have been converted?

3 of my 4 rims are tubeless specific (stans) while 1 is a Mavic something or other (but it works fine).

as far as a catastrophic scenario - what's more catastrophic than getting a flat with a tube? since I went tubeless about 3 years ago, I havent had a single flat, not a single burp (where the tire becomes disengaged from the rim leaking the goo and air)....nothing. plus, with the goo if something small does pierce your tire the goo acts as a coagelent (sp?) to seal it up (cant say that for tubes). btw, you still need to bring an extra tube along with you in case something does happen (e.g., you burp out all your air and lose the seal) - but just throw in a tube to finish the ride (just like you would if you got a flat now)

the worst thing I get is that after a while (like a year) the tire eventually, slowly losses its ability to hold air (even after re-gooing), requiring you to pump it back up to proper pressure before each ride. but usually that coincides with needing a new tire anyway due to no more tread. my front tire is there now. I can get through a ride but I need to re-do it with a fresh tire (and hopefully get a year out of that without issue)

@GMan, most quality modern MTB wheels are tubeless ready ( tubeless able). That being said, if your rims are not, (@jdog , @jimvreeland please correct me if I'm mistaken) you are potentially taking a rather large risk. Having a front tire blowing off the rim during a technical decent is going to end badly. Yes people do it all the time.... Just, doesn't seem like a risk worth taking with so many quality tubeless rims out there. 2c.

I don't think the rims on my XTC are tubeless rims but I've had zero problems using them that way. Only flat I got was when I got a cut on the rear tire but it didn't respond any differently than if it were a tube tire.

@Juggernaut , I tend to agree. Some things are not worth the risk. I think for now I will look into a bigger front tire that's tubeless ready and then throw my Nevegal out back both with tubes. That way I have at least one tubeless compatible tire if I go that way later this summer and can enjoy some more volume now in the meantime. Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Will definitely have to take a closer look at the Ardent and Mountain King.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions