2024 Garden Thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Show us your seedlings!
I know you have tomatoes cooking under the lights. What else?

Started bringing up the barn temp for the potted figs - will uncover the in-ground after the next round of low 20s.

Screw seedlings, no longer worth the effort. Ordering plants instead this year. Today I'm going to drop step one on the lawn and finish trimming the black mold spores from the Italian plum. Last week cleaned up the "south estate" and will not do vegetables, but will consider some planted herbs.PXL_20240315_212240307.jpgPXL_20240313_173040442.jpg

Timely. Just started yesterday. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant. I don't know what the garden looks like. Haven't been out there since October. I'm sure there is lots of work to be done (sigh).

IMG_2292.jpg

Black Knot. Please do your other plums and your neighbors a favor and burn the clippings with the fungus, do not recycle with the other clipping or cuttings.

Had the same problem on a whole tree when I bought the house, ended up chopping the tree and burning it in the firepit...nasty stuff!
Yep, put in bags and out with the trash

My wife started some plants she got with a kit for her 1st graders, but I couldn't tell you what's going to make it. However, I did finishing installing a new hose bib out by the garden. I put the sleeve in 2 years ago, and pulled hoses through last time, however, there was no local control and the hoses would end up kinking. Had some extra pex laying around, bought some fittings to make it all work, and here it is. I'll blow it out at the end of the season. Now one hose length instead of 4. Insulation just to keep the pex outta the UV light.

It'll be trial and error, but this experiment is a go for this season.

IMG_3571.JPGIMG_3573.JPG

My wife started some plants she got with a kit for her 1st graders, but I couldn't tell you what's going to make it. However, I did finishing installing a new hose bib out by the garden. I put the sleeve in 2 years ago, and pulled hoses through last time, however, there was no local control and the hoses would end up kinking. Had some extra pex laying around, bought some fittings to make it all work, and here it is. I'll blow it out at the end of the season. Now one hose length instead of 4. Insulation just to keep the pex outta the UV light.

It'll be trial and error, but this experiment is a go for this season.

View attachment 234550View attachment 234551
I can only get those manifold outlets to last a year. Tested mine the other day and it's leaking again. Usually lasts a half season. Where are you getting your garden spigots? I'd love to run a drip system with pex.

I'd love to run a drip system with pex.

I have a bunch of 1/2" DIG drip main line - it is meant for buried and just under ground use -
home Depot has the couplers, adapters and drip or spray heads that are attached to it.

I used to use an orbit smart hose timer, then I added a zone to the other system, so I have that too.

DIG also makes a porous hose for snaking under and around plants - nice way to go in raised planters.

Let me know if you are interested - I just need to keep enough for repairs. the rodents will chew threw it during a drought.

I can only get those manifold outlets to last a year. Tested mine the other day and it's leaking again. Usually lasts a half season. Where are you getting your garden spigots? I'd love to run a drip system with pex.
I got the fittings off Pex Universe. Ive been lucky with them never had any issues. Hard water maybe? Soak in CLR and maybe that'll clean the valves.

Going to scale down the garden this year and cover 1/3 with weed block. The backside is not getting the sun wed used to so yields have been poor and the dirt is thinning there as well. Also the fencing could use a good painting and beds need work. Kids asked for a bed and I was more than happy to give up two plots. Though like a puppy, I'm assured to be my job in July and August to water, weed and harvest, after the initial spark is gone.
PXL_20240331_201746647.jpg

Planted 3 pawpaws - this is their third summer.
All three have flower buds. The branches aren't large enough to support "a lot" of fruit - so will need to be selective.
@michael.su - should I help with pollination?

1712487932170.png

My wife is her Schools Ambassador for the "Union County Kids Dig In" School Garden Grant.

She had a bunch of leftover seeds as handouts last year to start the process. A bunch of flowers with some peppers, tomatoes, and lettuce thrown in. I should be switching this to a more viable cash crop. Also waiting to see how fast my meter starts spinning with this 250Watt LED high bay light from work. Light currently affixed with a C Clamp to the joist. I'll have to lower it this weekend to get it more intense.

IMG_5732.JPG

Typically, we go to Gasko's on or around Mother's Day weekend, to get flowers and the standard list of vegetables.

My normal tomato grower/coworker, has cut his production down this year, and might not have as many left overs for me to capitalize on. Other than @Patrick 's pepper place., any recommendations where I can find a wider variety of single pot tomatoes around the Somerset/Hunterdon/Middlesex/Essex county area?

Typically, we go to Gasko's on or around Mother's Day weekend, to get flowers and the standard list of vegetables.

My normal tomato grower/coworker, has cut his production down this year, and might not have as many left overs for me to capitalize on. Other than @Patrick 's pepper place., any recommendations where I can find a wider variety of single pot tomatoes around the Somerset/Hunterdon/Middlesex/Essex county area?
Rutgers AG field day? Bardy Farms in Warren has a decent selection

Back
Top Bottom