2023 Racing Calendar

I think I managed to tune the other guy out, I can’t remember a single thing he said.
Its Rick right? He's knowledgeable and you can tell he watches downhill but his voice is so lackluster and he has so little presence that it just doesn't work. You hear him mumbling something and then CG shouts "What can he do!!!" And so you turn the volume down.

Its Rick right? He's knowledgeable and you can tell he watches downhill but his voice is so lackluster and he has so little presence that it just doesn't work. You hear him mumbling something and then CG shouts "What can he do!!!" And so you turn the volume down.
Yes, Rick. I used to like his video a few years back, but I don't think he's suited for live coverage, especially of DH race where thinks can change real quick.

Hot damn! What a race! If you're going to watch one replay this year prior to learning the results, make it this one. A nail biter right to the end.

And holy crap... I've been watching over 5 hours of racing...

And somehow, CG gained 20 years... Damn... the dude looks old, but not that old. Serious fail on the producer feeding the announcer information (no, wasn't Rick this time)... :smh:

The men's race was great. Obviously I'm a huge fan of one guy who podiumed so I'm thrilled. The course was cool but overall a bit meh compared to the best courses like vallnord, les gets and mont st anne. Not my favorite especially given how slow they seemed to be going in the first half. Weird.

But two notes --one, gwin was better than ever and needs to be a permanent color man whenever he's not racing. He's still chill but a little more assertive and his knowledge is so fantastic it makes Elliot look naive. Two fire CG ASAP. Fun dude but he's not just useless but cutting off Rick and gwin.

I agree. Gwin was a great commentator.

I don't know... it may have looked slow on camera, but all of the YouTuber racers I follow comment about how fast the top section is. It did look slow when they used the high elevation drone shots. Looked fast AF when they used to drone follow-cam shots.

The men's race was great. Obviously I'm a huge fan of one guy who podiumed so I'm thrilled. The course was cool but overall a bit meh compared to the best courses like vallnord, les gets and mont st anne. Not my favorite especially given how slow they seemed to be going in the first half. Weird.

But two notes --one, gwin was better than ever and needs to be a permanent color man whenever he's not racing. He's still chill but a little more assertive and his knowledge is so fantastic it makes Elliot look naive. Two fire CG ASAP. Fun dude but he's not just useless but cutting off Rick and gwin.
I agree. Gwin was a great commentator.

I don't know... it may have looked slow on camera, but all of the YouTuber racers I follow comment about how fast the top section is. It did look slow when they used the high elevation drone shots. Looked fast AF when they used to drone follow-cam shots.
Agreed and agreed. I was very impressed by Gwin in the commentator boot. His comments were on point, and proved the other two wrong in a couple of occasions. I must add that being not a native English speaker, he was also much more understandable than both Rick and GC (who by the way needs to accept he’s put some weight on and buy the size up skinny jeans). He also handled you know who’s performance very professionally, this guy keeps getting better and better in my book. I truly enjoyed this race, looking forward to the next one.
P.S. In spite of my negative comments toward Rick and Cedric, I do like them and think they’re been great for the sport, just not great in their current jobs…

Racing at Les Gets has begun... Unfortunately, not a great run by our local junior, but at least she qualified for the final! Junior men - good day.

So far, it seems like the track will stay dry for the Elites tomorrow. 🤞

I was just going to say that it's nice seeing some American junior men competing and even winning world cups this year. When is the last time an American man won a junior world cup race?

1000002323.png

And les gets elite qualies are in! Almost a near duplicate of last weeks final qualifying seeds. And dak 3rd! Surprised to see Finn and hodan Williams outside the top 10, but maybe with the semis there's less pressure to perform in qualies.

1000002324.png

Indeed. It'll be interesting to see Kolb, Shaw and Kerr do their runs with ~20 left to go.
1694198631218.png

Awesome to see Dak back up his 2nd last week with a solid qualifying run this week.

And I just noticed Kerr isn't protected anymore, which may explain why he qualified so far down. Needed a safe run to make sure he got into the show. Judging from the Juniors races, it looks like there's a fine line between going fast and going a bit too fast.

That 4:30 alarm tomorrow morning is going to be brutal. 😴

The best American woman downhiller is Anna newkirk. She and her friend started a team last year called beyond racing. Their bike sponsor is contra bikes. Have you seen their frame?

1000002326.png

Interesting to run a 200mm travel Boxxer on a 165mm travel frame. Definitely an interesting frame. I haven't ridden a high-pivot, idler pulley bike yet, so don't really have an opinion otherwise.

In racing news - a great women's race. Unfortunately, it seems like a bug is going through the pits which has a couple of riders out of sorts. A bit surprising where a couple finished.

Interesting to run a 200mm travel Boxxer on a 165mm travel frame. Definitely an interesting frame.
I didn't know that frame was only 165mm. When I saw Anna race I thought her bike was too reactive and sure enough that now makes sense. Hopefully they can give her more travel soon.

I didn't know that frame was only 165mm. When I saw Anna race I thought her bike was too reactive and sure enough that now makes sense. Hopefully they can give her more travel soon.

I think she mentioned that they're running a different DH linkage to increase travel over the baseline frame but I couldn't find any info just quickly searching.

I think she mentioned that they're running a different DH linkage to increase travel over the baseline frame but I couldn't find any info just quickly searching.
Yep. I just saw in a Vital video where Anna mentions her frame is one of two with changes to give it 200mm of travel, but otherwise the same as the enduro frame. Not on the website, but probably available if you ask for it.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember Gwin and Shaw sharing a podium or two a few years ago.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember Gwin and Shaw sharing a podium or two a few years ago.
I don't remember that though that seems very possible. I think Haley batten and Kate Courtney shared a podium a couple years ago, XCC or XCO. But anyway, yeah it's not often. So congrats to the american women XC riders who have the deepest competitive field of any American MTB group right now.

Back
Top Bottom