2020 garden thread

The cherry tomatoes are still producing, though very slowly. Cucumbers are gone but they were a huge success this year. Potatoes saw a slight improvement but they're still too small. Zucchine were nice but nowhere near what was expected. Beets are going to be harvested soon but the boss says they're too small. And yes, tomatoes have popped out unexpected pretty much everywhere. It's all my wife's work, I've never been able to grow anything below knee level...and she does start her plants on the LED lights, the whole house looks like a nursery!

Planning for next year....

Trying to figure if its worth trying the recycled pallet wood raised bed approach. With the price of lumber through the roof, PT lumber is on the backburner.

My 12.5ft x 12.5ft approach is going move towards 3 or 4ft wide rows - easier to maintain and get around. I have the space at the new place for bigger, just have to optimize it. Woodchips and the no till method seem to be an upcoming favorite. I just have to amend some of the clay soil I have.

@qclabrat Do you let your chickens in the garden? Do they hop up on your raised beds and scratch?

Planning for next year....

Trying to figure if its worth trying the recycled pallet wood raised bed approach. With the price of lumber through the roof, PT lumber is on the backburner.

My 12.5ft x 12.5ft approach is going move towards 3 or 4ft wide rows - easier to maintain and get around. I have the space at the new place for bigger, just have to optimize it. Woodchips and the no till method seem to be an upcoming favorite. I just have to amend some of the clay soil I have.

@qclabrat Do you let your chickens in the garden? Do they hop up on your raised beds and scratch?
Not a good idea as they will eat up your sprouts and worms. Also yes, 4 ft max width. I had 8x8 and was a pain to get inside

A couple of these figs could make it.
EA2D690C-4641-427B-BD15-61D29FB6D3A1.jpeg
They won’t ripen off the vine

more info please!!
Throw some seeds in a mason jar, rinse twice a day for 5ish days. Boom, Salad for pennies on the dollar.

I always have broccoli and lentils growing. Broccoli has great anti cancer properties, and lentils have the most protein. Then I'll do mung, adzuki, radish, mustard, and others depending on what I have. I'm going to try since gelatinous seeds in Terra cotta sprouters (arugula, flax, chia..) because they can't be sprouted in the mason jars.

This book is a pretty good guide with instructions, health benefits, and recipes:

Or you can google it, there's plenty of free guides. Cheapest, easiest food to grow ever.

Back
Top Bottom