2020-2021 XC SKI

I live in Morristown. I’m hoping to go somewhere close. Has anyone been to any of the golf courses or does anybody know where some good tracks have been set around Morristown??? Thanks.
You could try Patriots Path. It's not necessarily tracks but the trail is probably beaten down. On the other hand, it could be beaten down ice ruts. Gotta go check it.
Also, you could give the local golf course, park, open space area a try. The base may be firm enough to work out. Can't hurt to try. Post up and let us know how you make out.

Teetertown today! Only 5 minutes from the house, and the road along the ravine (hollowbrook road) is ski-able. Blasting down that road is an awesome way to end the day.

Attachments

• 39011AAB-238D-497A-84E8-76BF05B7AF71.jpeg
    39011AAB-238D-497A-84E8-76BF05B7AF71.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
You could try Patriots Path. It's not necessarily tracks but the trail is probably beaten down. On the other hand, it could be beaten down ice ruts. Gotta go check it.
Also, you could give the local golf course, park, open space area a try. The base may be firm enough to work out. Can't hurt to try. Post up and let us know how you make out.
Will do, going in the am, I figured patriots would be a beaten down trail, but a mix of snowshoes, foot traffic, and maybe ski tracks. but I suck, so I was looking more for tracks that I can stay in. I have the classic old type with zero edges. Those tracks help a lot.

We bought shoes today to go with our XC skis that we brought back from Canada. Going to give it a shot tomorrow.
You’ll have a blast. This was near Tripod Rock in Boonton, today Breaking trail is tough, but at this point, totally optional. If you have gators, they really help. I haven’t been in NJ for a week, I was shocked to see how much snow we still have.

Attachments

• EF3AF891-4D68-47C0-8548-A15414BA0F7D.jpeg
    EF3AF891-4D68-47C0-8548-A15414BA0F7D.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 7156FB63-D197-412D-B362-1752854D7CB8.jpeg
    7156FB63-D197-412D-B362-1752854D7CB8.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 8
  • CEB8241F-0214-4CCD-B12F-C7CD751B832E.jpeg
    CEB8241F-0214-4CCD-B12F-C7CD751B832E.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 9
Did a backcountry-feeling XC ski at Allamuchy north today. The beginning of white, part of yellow, and part of red/highlands were well-packed with snowshoes - the rest of the park I was laying down fresh tracks. Descending the MASR trail down to the boy scout lake in fresh snow was exciting, to say the least.7D730F4B-308C-4EB3-BDEF-0E733787876F.png04B97E31-3715-4D8A-A0E0-27D53505B40E.jpeg17F2F782-7999-4AB6-8184-9A242D34DFC9.jpeg

Attachments

• C31B7D65-02A2-4E7D-A5D6-A432477EB325.jpeg
    C31B7D65-02A2-4E7D-A5D6-A432477EB325.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20BBF36F-9DA9-49BE-A0C7-5DDE1CC6DD44.jpeg
    20BBF36F-9DA9-49BE-A0C7-5DDE1CC6DD44.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes but highly rewarding if you work at it.

My favorite XC ski center is now Fahnestock, it's only 1:20 minutes away from me, and the trails are what I'd call sporty, kinda like a CX race course. With punchy ups, fast downs, lots of turns, it's a kick in the nutz but like a CX race you are always focused on something, which totally puts you in the moment.

I've skied here before, probably about 5yrs ago? They usually don't get the snow that Minnewaska gets however this year it's good. In the past I had a tough time here, it was hard for me to ski it with control, I was somewhat sloppy on the down hills. I was kinda able to hang on, but usually had a wipe out or two.

With more experience/skills and skis that are better suited for my size I feel more comfortable at this place. Also I've been skiing with the Fischer Turnamic bindings, which are adjustable on the ski without the need for tools. If I need more bite, grip, steering I can slide binding forward, for more glide I can slide it back. This isn't just some marketing pitch, it really works well. Snow conditions can vary greatly from one day to the next, being able to adjust bindings on the fly is really awesome.

After skiing Fahnestock Saturday I decided to come back today. It's close, I like the course and I don't have to deal with the Thruway at the end of a Holiday Wknd.

Despite temps in the mid 20s a light freezing rain was falling on and off. This may sound miserable however I found it rather glorious, the moisture lubed up the snow to make it faster. While xc skiing is hard work, I find myself motivated to push harder for the speed. Fast = Fun.

Screenshot_20210215-131540.png
Screenshot_20210215-131456.png
IMG_20210215_102742.jpg

My favorite XC ski center is now Fahnestock, it's only 1:20 minutes away from me, and the trails are what I'd call sporty, kinda like a CX race course. With punchy ups, fast downs, lots of turns, it's a kick in the nutz but like a CX race you are always focused on something, which totally puts you in the moment.

I've skied here before, probably about 5yrs ago? They usually don't get the snow that Minnewaska gets however this year it's good. In the past I had a tough time here, it was hard for me to ski it with control, I was somewhat sloppy on the down hills. I was kinda able to hang on, but usually had a wipe out or two.

With more experience/skills and skis that are better suited for my size I feel more comfortable at this place. Also I've been skiing with the Fischer Turnamic bindings, which are adjustable on the ski without the need for tools. If I need more bite, grip, steering I can slide binding forward, for more glide I can slide it back. This isn't just some marketing pitch, it really works well. Snow conditions can vary greatly from one day to the next, being able to adjust bindings on the fly is really awesome.

After skiing Fahnestock Saturday I decided to come back today. It's close, I like the course and I don't have to deal with the Thruway at the end of a Holiday Wknd.

Despite temps in the mid 20s a light freezing rain was falling on and off. This may sound miserable however I found it rather glorious, the moisture lubed up the snow to make it faster. While xc skiing is hard work, I find myself motivated to push harder for the speed. Fast = Fun.

View attachment 151857
View attachment 151858
View attachment 151859
I have no problem hitting 50 on DH skis, but hitting 22mph on XC setup sounds scary as F.

View attachment 151857
View attachment 151858
View attachment 151859
Are you on skate skis? 13 miles, I can’t fathom that. My skis are 20 years old from LL bean, no metal edges and no adjustability. However, so much fun! And it’s always beautiful when XC skiing. I did a mile yesterday, and it was tough. I need to get to a spot that’s groomed, that looks awesome.

Are you on skate skis? 13 miles, I can’t fathom that. My skis are 20 years old from LL bean, no metal edges and no adjustability. However, so much fun! And it’s always beautiful when XC skiing. I did a mile yesterday, and it was tough. I need to get to a spot that’s groomed, that looks awesome.
When I go to a XC center I skate ski. Thompson Park grooms but not wide enough for a skate lane, so I classic ski there.

I will say that skiing in the woods is fun , the speed is not there but it's more technical, which can be fun.

Went back up to high point this morning for a little more skate practice and, because I wanted to actually cover some ground, switched over to classic later in the day. Conditions were pretty icy, with lots of ruts, holes, etc. Not confidence inspiring, but at this stage any practice is good practice, particularly trying to navigate through the typical high point carnage of bodies splayed out all over the trail.

Overall, good day.

Hit up High Point again yesterday as the snow was falling. Spent the entire time there on the skate skis and really enjoyed it. The conditions with the snow falling and relative lack of grooming were very much on the slow side, but also forgiving, which made it a lot easier to practice technique. The main thing that I really noticed this time is that if I focus on staying balanced over my entire foot, rather than my toes, that I'm able to glide better and generate a bit more power. I guess there are some similarities to classic in that regard...striding off of the center of your ski with your weight balanced. Not going to be great at this overnight, but it definitely felt like improvement. Also ran into Iggy's buddy Paul, who was out skiing some classic.

Also spent some time hot waxing my old "waxless" BC style XC skis. The last time I was out, despite applying some liquid glide wax, I was noticing how much those things were really, really slow. Granted, they're never going to be fast but the beat up, dried out bases aren't helping anything. So, hot waxing the tails and, uh, fronts (tips?), and then I'll use the regular wipe on stuff for the fish scale area. We'll see how that goes.

Any place recommended in Central NJ for tomorrow? Using some 70ish mm metal edge BC skis. Last time I used them was at 6MR. Might just try that again.

Any place recommended in Central NJ for tomorrow? Using some 70ish mm metal edge BC skis. Last time I used them was at 6MR. Might just try that again.
If you like skiing off track 6mr is a good option, the snow should be soft enough around 12 noon.
Otherwise Thompson Park in Lincroft has groomed tracks, snow should be good around 11am.

Conditions at Thompson Park where great today. If you need to rent equipment go early. 1/2 Hour wait to get rentals while I was there after 11am. Lots of foot traffic on the inner trails and “in the tracks”😥!

I skied at the Tourne today after riding. Pretty cool to just go off trail wherever the fuck I want. I came down from the top in the woods, and it was mildly terrifying at times, but I was generally able to zig zag and go super slow. I would love a real AT setup, but it doesn't seem worth it for NJ.

Back
Top Bottom