2018 garden thread

qclabrat

Did anyone start a thread this year? It's usually @rlb, but probably got his hands full. I've hardly touched the garden this year. Never put in the early lettuce or beans and such. Got my matos and peppers last week but haven't put them in the ground yet. I did turn the but not too commit to crops this year. Change my mind and get me growing again
IMG_20180507_092840.jpg

I think someone did start a thread. My garden area looks a bit like yours, except completely overgrown with weeds. Mostly creeping charlie.

I've started again this year with some seeds...bean/lettuce, but the kids school had a mothers day plant sale so w picked up tomatoes, peppers and herbs. Turns out a new neighbor has a horse poop connection. Has one used it as fert? How did you apply to soil?

I've started again this year with some seeds...bean/lettuce, but the kids school had a mothers day plant sale so w picked up tomatoes, peppers and herbs. Turns out a new neighbor has a horse poop connection. Has one used it as fert? How did you apply to soil?
we used to use it at the Brooklyn Botanical children's garden, but no clue how they prepped
I'll ask a friend who's an ag teacher in south Jersey. Only concern would be the stink. I just stick with the dried, composted manure myself

Planted plants last weekend. Super late with everything including spring lettuce and peas. Keeping easy this year with more squash and cucumbers
IMG_20180531_200800.jpg

Roses expired this winter, due to the few weeks of warm weather during mid Winter. Will replace with something different in the fall
IMG_20180531_200838.jpg

Love Peonies, have about 20 in the yard
This one is my favorite
IMG_20180531_200732.jpg

Also trying something different for the peaches and asian pears, footsie socks tied to each. Well not all, just about 30 for each tree. The birds get to the pears and the moths the peaches.
IMG_20180612_195050.jpgIMG_20180612_195111.jpg

^^hmm. that is an interesting approach! might try.

I opted for grape and cherry tomatoes this year because previous crops have split/collapsed. Starting to come in now...and first zucchini and yellow squash.

View attachment 73093
Beans have been great this year, tons of peppers but they and mato plant so ridiculously skinny looking this year. Also cucs are almost none exist.
Greens were destroyed by bugs this spring, so moar beans instead. Are the orange cherries the Sunshine variety? They did very well for us last year. We only have one this year. Last year, way too many matos

We've had good luck with everything except spinach this year, but the other greens (lettuce and arugala) were fine. Zuchini seems to be the star judging from the fact that I've eaten it at least two meals a day this week; breaded, stuffed, Parm, quiche, salad, brownies etc..

I really just build boxes and move dirt though, my wife and kids do the planting/picking. It looks super lush this year.

IMG_9128.JPG
IMG_9127.JPG

The biggest surprise in our garden this year was a rabbit made a nest right in one of the boxes.....in the Arugala, so we had baby bunnies in there for a couple weeks, and the mama every night. I think Arugala is too bitter for them because they didn't eat it. They nibbled on some green beans and beat leaves, but overall did very little damage. We just let them chill until they left the nest.

After they left my wife managed to mow over one of them that was nestled in the grass. Luckily he was mostly fine, she just clipped the very tippy top of his ear, so if you look close you can see he has a slightly squared ear. He seemed rather unphased and we still see him around, mostly in the neighbors yard now

IMG_9129.JPG

Back
Top Bottom