2013/2014 XC Ski Thread

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
Driving to work this morning in the snow has my hopes up for a good amount of accumulation by the time im leaving work. I think im going to break out the skis for the first time this season and hit up mahlon. anyone want to join?

Yes but I don't have skis and the kids are home off from school.

Where does one buy a good set of used XC skis? I know, it's the perfect time of year for a question like that...

i actually just picked up a used set for my wife of skis/boots/bindings/poles at dover ski shop, on 46, for $80. they had a pretty decent selection of used stuff

Yes but I don't have skis and the kids are home off from school.

Where does one buy a good set of used XC skis? I know, it's the perfect time of year for a question like that...

pretty sure Fuji makes an amazing pair...

Please post up on conditions if you go. I'm hoping to use my skis more this year than last year. I might be able to get out early tomorrow but I'm probably stuck at work today.

I'd be interested in the conditions as well. Probably going to be stuck at work, but I'd like to get there Friday assuming that conditions hold.

Threw the skis in the car before heading to work this am. Gonna sneak out and go play asap, prolly at Watchung Res...

Conditions don't look like they will set up for good xc skiing. Right now in Cranford we have 2" of wet snow on the ground, without much more accumulating. This wet snow will turn to crust by morning when temps are supposed to be in the 20's.
Mahlon is colder so maybe the snow is not wet right now and a good base is forming? maybe

Overall I would say this is not the one we are looking for.

Driving to work this morning in the snow has my hopes up for a good amount of accumulation by the time im leaving work. I think im going to break out the skis for the first time this season and hit up mahlon. anyone want to join?

What time are you going? I'll try and go from thee park n ride @4:30.

What time are you going? I'll try and go from thee park n ride @4:30.

ill get home from work at 4:30, then head up to the rock rill parking lot ..should be there by 4:45, planning on working my way up the rail trail. which lot is the park and ride?

Its the lot off of 15 in Sparta. I'll be on the wma side and pop out on thee rail trail at the 4way.

got out for 1:20 parked at rock rill and took the rail trail all the way north to the end and then back. about 2+ inches of fluffy snow. had my fair share of scrapes and bumps on rocks and roots though. the spots of the rail trail that are notoriously swampy are thinner.

Just missed you, spent 2hrs trashing my skis on the Single track in the WMA. Perfect for the MTB, I picked the wrong weapon tonight.

yeah i figured my best bet was to stay on flat smooth trails..not enough coverage to get into the singletrack yet.

i never bothered to turn on my headlamp last night. the half moon was bright enough to let me see and cast shadows. It was pretty cool.

How do you guys think Mahlon will be tomorrow?

if u live in summit the watchung reservation is closer and will probably have decent conditions...or at least worth a ride over to give it a kick and glide.

I need to head up to my parents' house in Sparta tomorrow and plan to hit Mahlon on the way. I'll probably be at the park and ride around 1pm, but I'm somewhat flexible on start time and could also start at Saffin pond. PM me if anyone wants to join.

Back
Top Bottom