2012 Scott Scale 29 Team

Biker Dude

I've posted a couple times now about 29er's, asking for opinions for a new 29er in the $700 range. I finally broke down and bought one, the Scott Scale 29 Team.

First, some backround. I started riding mountain bikes a little more then 4 years ago. My first mountain bike was a Dick's Sporting Goods Iron Horse with full suspension (coil). I didn't know that it was bad for a bike to weigh 50 pounds so for a while it worked. After about 1.5 years I saved some real money and bought a Trek Fuel EX8 full suspension. It was, and still is, an excellent bike. I love it. However, although it is way lighter then the Iron Horse, it isn't 'light'.

I also read a lot about biking, between magazines and forums (mostly this one) so you read a great deal about the 'kool aid' of the 29er and how they are taking over the MB world. And the bike stores I went to seem to tell the same story. All said they sell more 29er's then 26.

I was going to buy a different 29er and was supposed to pick it up, but my friend made me check out 'Kim's Bike Shop' in New Brunswick, where he got a great deal on his bike.

They just started selling Scott bikes and had one of their 29er's in my price range. I rode it and really liked it, saw the component list and then bought it. I paid more then I was originally going to pay for the other bike, but this bike has so much more and is a year newer. That was 2 weeks ago.

I first rode it at Allaire 2 weeks ago. The bike is light, agile and very, very smooth. I also wasn't expecting it to be as nimble as it was. It corners beautifully and climbs like a gazelle. Unfortunately, on that first ride I crashed it into a tree on Tiger Woods and bent the front wheel beyond repair. Luckily, Kim's replaced it this week and I rode it again yesterday (since they felt bad for me, Kim's didn't charge for the labor). I loved it even more yesterday. I've always been a good climber but this bike does the climbing with much less effort and flies downhill. In the 2 times I rode this bike I am riding faster and more aggressively. The bike weighs 27.5 lbs (which isn't light compared to a lot of bikes but lighter then my previous bikes) and I realized that weight does make a big difference, even for a once a week rider.

I thought going from the full squish to this short travel hardtail was going to make my ride at least somewhat less comfortable but it hardly is. The big wheels seem to soften the overall ride. However, I wouldn't take this bike to Sourlands so I'm glad I still have my Trek fs.

I strongly recommend testing one of the Scott Scale line of 29er's. Awesome bike. And if you live near Kim's in New Brunswick, check them out also. It was a very comfortable experience and I got a great deal.

By the way, I've now 'tasted the 29er kool aid' and it tastes very good. :)

its amazing how the weight makes a difference, night and day. I recently picked up a carbon frame and probably dropped 5 to 7 pounds off my bike and now its just crazy.

Congrats on the bike purchase. I bought my Scale 29er Elite in Dec and I love it! I was torn between the Team and the Elite but opted for the upgrade in fork and components but it was a tough choice. The kool-aid is delicous.

Rolling momentum is the key, get it rolling and keep it rolling. Climbing, it is a beast. And downhill, on big wheels with my 240 lbs, well, get outta the way. I too was impressed by how nimble the handling is.

The 29er kool-aid is delicious!

Kim's is now selling Scott bikes?

It must be recent, I was in there a few weeks ago, she seems to have bought 40 of every Specialized bike made. And GT.

I hear you on the weight thing, I used to think my Ninerrrrrr was light, but now that I'm whipping around Allaire and 6 miles Ron on an 18 pound cross bike, you really notice the difference.

Curious, you said the wheel was "beyond repair" yet Kims didnt charge you for labor. What did she do?

Enjoy the new ride!

It must be recent, I was in there a few weeks ago, she seems to have bought 40 of every Specialized bike made. And GT.

I hear you on the weight thing, I used to think my Ninerrrrrr was light, but now that I'm whipping around Allaire and 6 miles Ron on an 18 pound cross bike, you really notice the difference.

Curious, you said the wheel was "beyond repair" yet Kims didnt charge you for labor. What did she do?

Enjoy the new ride!

Wow, 18 pounds is light. The Scott is 27.5 and it seems light but 18 must be ridiculous.

It is only recently that they started selling Scott. I think they were just starting to get them in when I bought mine two weeks ago.

Beyond repair means that it was 'tacoed', just bent beyond repair. I had to buy a new rim but they changed the tire from the old to the new without charging me anything. Not that big of a deal but it was still nice.

I think bikes for xc racing has to be in the 22 to 28 lbs, your bike is still good and not that very heavy, enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom