1x9 question

depends on what chain keeper you use. If you go with seat tube keepers/bb you can run spiderless SS specific cranks like middleburns, surly, xtr and xo. I have been running xt's triple using the sandwich bashguard (BBG). This works flawless for me now for almost 2yrs. Only thing is you need chainstay clearance which some frames don't allow. Also the slx cranks only give 20g more then xt with about $50 or more on the wallet saved...

running XT cranks and an n-gear chain keeper. it hasn't been flawless but it's been pretty decent.

FSA Team Issue Carbon cranks, SS rotor Q-ring, RF bash, k-edge cross single chain keeper (with fabricated extension). No issues so far..

you can make just about any crankset work. What you have will determine what chain retention parts will be needed.

I've got a 1x setup with XTR 970's, one set up with Race Face Dues somethingorother. Guys I ride with have various truvativ cranks, XTR 960's, various other Shimano cranks, etc.

The most common setup in my circle of riders utilizes an outer bash guard and an N-gear jumpstop on the inside. Personally, the only time I've dropped the chain with this setup wis when I've crashed... It's never dropped JRA.

love my SLX cranks, have them on both my bikes. I use a N Gear chain guide on the 1x10 diSSent. SLX cranks are good bang for your buck value for sure.

Last edited:
I have the Truvativ Stylo OCT 1.1. (SS-specific) and it has worked great so far (only a couple of months or riding though). They are pretty light for the price and come with a bashguard. I put the chain pretty tight and do not use any chain retention device (except the bashguard). I dropped only one chain in this time and it was because I loosened the tension on the RD on that occasion.

1x9 experiences

In answer to the thread question, i used a ti 32tooth chain ring and a mrp chain guide worked a treat, had a tiny amount of rubbing when on largest cog on block but in use didnt notice it, i was using an old pair of xt ht11 cranks

Back
Top Bottom