6 Mile Run Conditions

I was out this morning, after the third time down in the first mile I had enough. It's really icy, studs are probably a good idea.

I was out this morning, after the third time down in the first mile I had enough. It's really icy, studs are probably a good idea.

yup...we rode from rte 27 starting around 7am...it was frozen solid most places with some "brown ice" here and there...the fat bike was definitely the way to go...studs would have helped, but in general it was pretty rideable

the blue trail was the worst...literally a skating rink!
IMG_4275.jpg

also the concrete bridge was flooded pretty good...so we improvised and put a few downed logs across to make it a little more passable...

IMG_4273.jpg

yup...we rode from rte 27 starting around 7am...it was frozen solid most places with some "brown ice" here and there...the fat bike was definitely the way to go...studs would have helped, but in general it was pretty rideable

the blue trail was the worst...literally a skating rink!
View attachment 63392

also the concrete bridge was flooded pretty good...so we improvised and put a few downed logs across to make it a little more passable...

View attachment 63393

i know what this means......who wants to go wading?

Still unrideable. More rain coming. Flood warnings, again, for Somerset Friday/Saturday.

Plan on riding SixMile in April some time, unless we get a serious dry spell (like 2 weeks worth).

This is my first spring in the area. Does Full Suck Mode (FSM) exist at 6 mile (aka the trees drying out the trails in the spring)?

The Wissahickon trees can dry out a trail in less than a day.

This is my first spring in the area. Does Full Suck Mode (FSM) exist at 6 mile (aka the trees drying out the trails in the spring)?

Trees help but not much. After rain, it takes a long time in the spring to dry out

different type of dirt i presume, 6mr is mostly red clay doesn't filter down and gets hung up on top. Therefore trees can't really help, it just needs time to dry out with sun, wind and no rain.

In the the beginning of summer, I'd say FSM happens. It dries out pretty fast after a rain. People seem to forget after a rough winter like we just had.
Consecutive days of weather will still take it's toll.

Best bet is to check in this thread and ask the locals before you head out. It can go from mud to dust in no time. Be patient.

The last few years 6mr dried out faster than the sourlands. The higher elevation holds water longer, plus little sunlight/wind gets to the trails.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions