Cutting the cord (this again!)

The one sticking point was the mandatory $90 technician fee. Apparently they have to upgrade the ONT that is currenty installed and they don't believe they're making enough from me at $79/mo to cover their installer.

I already ran into my first hiccup with changing my Verizon service. I scheduled the date of service change to June 12 and Verizon so graciously turned off streaming access from TV networks a few weeks early. How dare they interrupt my wife's access to Bravo and Southern Charm! Staples of modern entertainment!

Just got upgraded to FiOS gigabit service, tested on speakeasy.net at over 800mbps
zoom zoom

Still have the whole triple play thing, but OMFG this service is fast.

Reactions: rlb
Aside from my d-bag comment. I just upgraded too and waiting for an install shortly.

After I agreed to it, it got me wondering if I even need gigabit speed? 100mbps seems like plenty. Is it just a case of taking it because it's there, a bandwidth land grab?

Aside from my d-bag comment. I just upgraded too and waiting for an install shortly.

After I agreed to it, it got me wondering if I even need gigabit speed? 100mbps seems like plenty. Is it just a case of taking it because it's there, a bandwidth land grab?

Need? no idea. But, with all the phones/iPads/Xbox Live/streaming media/etc, why not?
I can be remote logged into work, wife can watch Netflix or something, son can be on Xbox live, and other son can be watching Apple TV, all without any issues.

I had my Verizon mandated $90 service call yesterday for the tech to show up and tell me that there's nothing he needs to do and he's not sure why he's there. The rep told me that Gigabit speeds are only guaranteed on a wired connection while using Verizon's provided (rented) equipment. What a bullshit marketing scheme!

The rep tested an older Verzion router in the 30 mbps range (lol) and my Netgear Orbi in the 150-250 mbps range, both wirelessly. I'll be calling to downgrade shortly.

This motivated me to look into this more, I'm currently paying $175/month for cable/internet. Thinking of going this route:

One time costs:
Playstation - $270 - watched a couple reviews of this and it looks like an easy setup.
Modem - $84 - Need help with this one. I pay a monthly fee to rent the one which is lame, but I'm looking for a modem with some distance, the one we have does not reach upstairs with the 5ghz service. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this any good?

Monthly costs:
Playstation Vue Core Slim - $35/month - Seems to best way to not deal with the stress of finding sports streams. Also has NFL Network/Redzone? Score.
Spectrum/TWC Internet - $45/month promo price ($65/month after 12 months)

total: $80/month

Have to see if NetFlix or whatever would be the next best bet in terms of movies/series and shit. I don't think I'm missing anything?

we still have cable (unfortunately), since the girl wont part with her TV and landline (WTF is up with that?)
i have our bill down to 89.xx a month for a FIOS triple play 100/100 service.

I bought the modem when i signed up so no monthly fee there (well it was given to me as a current promo at the time)
i have a hdhomerunprime 3 tuner network connected tuner (4.99 for an M-card to run up to 3 tvs/DVRs at once) (~$90 when i bought it and saves you >$20 month)
i have a raspberrypi running OSMC on each tv (3 atm, but i can add as many as i want and have up to 3 running different channels at once) $50 each
we have netflix, but it honestly doesnt get much use, and i have a file server with a decent collection of DVR'd TV shows if we want to watch that.

the homerun prime lets us watch pretty much everything we could ever want on tv (only thing is using the pi as the HTPC i cant stream protected content this is HBO Showtime and other movie channels, all the standard stuff works fine)

@pearl, sounds like you need a better router. Do you have a separate modem and router or is it an all in one? If they give you a modem but you're renting a router, def ditch whatever they are renting you and get a good router. I held out for awhile but finally spent on one 2 years ago and it makes a huge difference. The one you linked is wireless N, you'll want something that's AC which is the newer WiFi standard. I have this one in a closet in my basement and it gives good signal all throughout the house.

Netflix has some great series on it. I generally find more interesting stuff on Netflix as opposed to Amazon Prime. If I didn't have prime for shipping, I wouldn't pick it up as a streaming service. Though they do seem to be adding more content. Both suck for movies.

@pearl, I echo what @ChrisRU says about router/modem thing. I just picked up a Netgear Orbi which has a base station/satellite that hand off the network seamlessly (no switching when you go upstairs). It's a bit expensive and definitely overkill but damn, it works great. Amazon even has it bundled with cable modems for one-stop shopping.

Another thing to consider for apartment dwellers and those with obstructions nearby is OTA antennas don't always get the channels they should. I'm 2 miles from the WNBC antenna but tucked away behind a brick and steel/concrete building and can't get a signal whatsoever, even with an amplified antenna. Going to try some alternative measures this weekend and hope for the best.

Thanks Router bros.

The current jam I have is from TWC and router/modem in one, $100 sounds like a good amount to spend for this. I'm sure I spent more than $100 on it already... What a rip off.

Just realized we would save $835 going forward this year even with spending $400 on new "one time" equipment.

EDIT: Just realized I don't need a PS4 to do this, I can get the Amazon FireTV for $89, and use the Vue app in it... shittttt

Last edited:
EDIT: Just realized I don't need a PS4 to do this, I can get the Amazon FireTV for $89, and use the Vue app in it... shittttt

*Insert gif of 1970s looking dude doing the slow nod as camera zooms in*

Does anyone have any experience with Sling TV? I don't think there's the ability for DVR functionality but it almost looks too good to be true.

Back
Top Bottom