Cutting the cord (this again!)

hotsauce

@pearl, Look into a whole house antenna that mounts in the attic. A little more expensive but you get all the channels in all of the TV's in your house.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Does anyone have any experience with Sling TV? I don't think there's the ability for DVR functionality but it almost looks too good to be true.
After we cut cable, we were using Direct TV Now for a while, then jumped over to Sling since it was less expensive.

Sling has been wildly inconsistent for us, refusing to connect for no apparent reason, suddenly working, then crapping out again. Sometimes one TV won't connect while the other one will. Bummer, because the Blue package gives us a good deal of stuff that we actually watch.

As I type this, Mrs. G is looking into returning to Direct TV Now, because we're tired of not knowing if the the stupid TV is gonna work when we turn it on.

We're using Fire Sticks and have a Nighthawk router, for those who are hardware-curious.

rlb

After we cut cable, we were using Direct TV Now for a while, then jumped over to Sling since it was less expensive.

Sling has been wildly inconsistent for us, refusing to connect for no apparent reason, suddenly working, then crapping out again. Sometimes one TV won't connect while the other one will. Bummer, because the Blue package gives us a good deal of stuff that we actually watch.

As I type this, Mrs. G is looking into returning to Direct TV Now, because we're tired of not knowing if the the stupid TV is gonna work when we turn it on.

We're using Fire Sticks and have a Nighthawk router, for those who are hardware-curious.

Aside from my early DVR issues (which seem to be fixed), Sling has been trouble free for me for a while. I did have one or 2 crashes early on but otherwise been solid. I get some lag overall on the fire stick, so I'm hoping to get a decent deal on the fire TV box on prime day.

Aside from this how does DirecTV Now compare? I was looking at it today because ATT offers it at a discount with one of their wireless plans.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK after much slacking i got around to yell my disdain to directv and actually had 5 people not hang up on me in hour an halves worth of NO i dont want your service anymore and i am not paying you to get out of contract. I sort of one because my service was not working for past 2 months and i was lazy about inquiring. Paying bills today and i said this is the day. So i still have this last bill which i plan to take a real long time to pay off but glad its over. No cancellation fee, winning!

for the pro cord cutters which live TV service should i be looking at?
Already have hulu commercial free and they have live tv at $30
I see Youtube is in that game
i know sling has been the popular.
I figured ask folks who been streaming longer.
anything else to consider.

been a roku for a few years now have another pluse a chromecast.
I also saw this and was like what
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...&acampID=3762d2fead2b11e7806dfae05afd5f940INT

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Big fan of Playstation Vue. They offer a week free trial as well. The elite package has all the sports you need for $55 a month, plus another $10 for redzone a month. The cheapest package is $40 a month. Vue Has a 30 day DVR. It's not super cheap, but its way cheaper than the cable setup I had. When I go through the channels and say "Nothing is on TV", I'm not as pissed.

Depending on where you are located, you'll get certain local channels. I do not have NBC sadly. If you need that, get an antenna.

You can run Vue on the Roku, but I do not have experience with it. Still love my FireTV setup.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey @mattybfat
I can't comment on live tv, because we don't watch much, but I do use the Mohu antenna for local regular tv.
That works here outside the city, maybe not so much near you.
I know it gets zero in Andover.
You can try going to Mohu.com and plug in your address, and they'll tell you what you might get there.

Other than that, I do glom my friend's log in for ESPN for live sports, and that's about it.

As for the tv, I just got that one in 49".
Can't comment on the built in Roku just yet, but that should be awesome not having to have the Roku puck to access all that.
Been mirroring Netflix from my phone to it, and picture is pretty great out of the box. Definitely the best you'll get at that price I think.

rlb

Big fan of Playstation Vue. They offer a week free trial as well

This is the key, most offer a free 1 week trial. I'd try out a few and see what you like best. Most of the "base" packages from each service have similar channels, so in the end it's mostly about the add-ons. I'm not a big sports guy aside from being a minor Mets fan, and no one has SNY so take that out of the equation. Let us know what you wind up with! 5 months cable free for me and 0 complaints.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I’ll say I can’t imagine having cable at that cost. I really only miss nbc but stream the shows I want the next day anyway. Very happy with our swap. Vue in FireTV is just a better experience all around.

TonyC

I ended up getting a HD Antenna "Amazon $13 prime" for basic live NBC CBS etc because it's easy and quick
We've been using the DirectTV app for all live stations and all past shows. We had issues one month and they credited us so that's good.
Watching Monday Night Football Bears vs Vikings no issues.

Gnick

im switching to hulu tv today. should be saving about 60-80$ a month over my xfinity service. we'll see how it goes

Supermoto

I'm planning on cutting the cord when we (hopefully) move this winter. We are basically down to 1 or 2 channels that we watch anyways. The news and Disney for my son. I think there are enough cartoon on Netflix or Prime that we won't have to get Hulu or Sling. Depending on LTE coverage. I might try to do away with cable internet and push everything thru my phone

Piston Honda

im switching to hulu tv today. should be saving about 60-80$ a month over my xfinity service. we'll see how it goes
Have it. It's okay. Biggest benefit to me is that I can watch local sports teams (Yankees), but it occasionally staggers/buffers. My internet speeds are 30Mbps/5Mbps, which should be more than adequate.

Also there's no channel guide. You have to favorite your shows and channels as it's not really set up for couch surfing.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have it. It's okay. Biggest benefit to me is that I can watch local sports teams (Yankees), but it occasionally staggers/buffers. My internet speeds are 30Mbps/5Mbps, which should be more than adequate.

Also there's no channel guide. You have to favorite your shows and channels as it's not really set up for couch surfing.

idk about that, i use a HDHomerunPrime for all my live tv viewing (the triple play package is cheaper than two services and someone in my house is stuck on having a house phone :O)

but i found it necessary to upgrade my entire network (internally) to gigabit in order to stream live tv in HD, the PRIME uses up to 40 MBPS per device using it. since upgrading to gigabit no problems, before than more than 1 tv running at a time would cause buffering/stuttering.

Gnick

idk about that, i use a HDHomerunPrime for all my live tv viewing (the triple play package is cheaper than two services and someone in my house is stuck on having a house phone :O)

but i found it necessary to upgrade my entire network (internally) to gigabit in order to stream live tv in HD, the PRIME uses up to 40 MBPS per device using it. since upgrading to gigabit no problems, before than more than 1 tv running at a time would cause buffering/stuttering.
yea i might have to upgrade to 200mbps a minute, but xfinity rips you off. its 100$ a month

Top Bottom