Holy rollers how to

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
someone please give tips on how to even get started before I kill myself.
I am positioned between wall and column check
I have small step stool check
I am in low gear check
I start pedaling and the front wheel rolls right off disaster.
Help!

Look straight ahead, don't look down. I like to gear up and spin at around 85 rpm, it's easier to track straight . Keep you body still, rollers train you to do this. If you are sloppy you will fall off. The more you do it the better you get. At first it feels like riding on ice, stay smooth and you will get it.

Have you seen me lately I am anything but smooth.
What gear should I start right now in my lowest climbing gear.

Start in the middle of the cassette and the big ring. Torque helps the squirliness.

Low cadence on rollers is bad when starting out which is what beginners are inclined to do.

Hand position is easiest on the tops of the bars.

Put yourself in a door jam that allows you to lean on either shoulder. This way you know you have nowhere to fall.

If the bike is able to roll right off the front, make sure you adjust the drums so that your bike front wheel is just behind that front drum. I'm sore you need to adjust them as you are taller than Kevin.

Also think about your riding position if you're heavy on your hands it's going to make learning the rollers harder because you've not only got your lateral balance to worry about, but you've also got to contend with your arm moving the bike beneath yo as your weight is too far forward to balance yourself correctly.

Try to sit up comfortably on the tops like you just finished climbing a hill and you're cooked. That position that you naturally gravitate to that is the most relaxed.

Lastly be patient. I learned to stay upright in 2 hours after that it's all downhill. Just stick with it.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Deff ride in a door frame so you can lean a shoulder. Wayyyy faster to learn this way than just hopping on. And whatever gear you find that works, keep that power delivery smooth!

The first time you suck. It takes a few sessions to really get comfortable.

I found that my cross bike which had a more upright position was much easier to learn on than my roady with the aggressive position.

Keep doing it till you figure it out.

Put the rollers so close to the wall that you can ride AND lean on the wall. Leaning first with your shoulder. Then, as you get yourself going, use just you elbow against the wall.

This can't be done with a pole or door jamb as your shoulder and elbow are not in the same place. Wall is better.

What's going on here matty:
Track stand about 3 feet to the back of the rollers on the good side you do a side hop. 1/4 crank, bunny hop on, pedal. Done.

What's going on here matty:
Track stand about 3 feet to the back of the rollers on the good side you do a side hop. 1/4 crank, bunny hop on, pedal. Done.
Actually don't do this, you may die.

I set them up new to my bike stand, held on to that for a second. The second and last time I rode them, I didn't need it.

I tried the wall thing when I first started. Problem was when I leaned to far in the other direction.

The door jam tehcnique got me going on the rollers in 15 seconds or so of me leaning left and right and just leaning a elbow out to catch myself. After that I was golden. And in the instance I felt like I was going to far in either direction I'd still have a door jam on either side to stretch and elbow out to just tap myself back on track.

I also found it easier to set it up against one wall using a elbow then it set up in a doorway.
Another vote here for the wall technique. I still keep mine next to the wall. Being able to reach out to the wall makes it a lot easier to get on and off.

Also +1 on the suggestion of a harder gear

#1, go outside. #2, if #1 isn't happening, drunk mucho beer. Problem solved broski.

Back
Top Bottom